• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Looks like Pascal may be where I finally say goodbye to my 780s, they have served me incredibly well and should continue to do so until the release of Pascal cards (hopefully they'll handle The Witcher 3 well).

2 high-end Pascal cards along with a 4K IPS monitor in 2016 would be a nice little upgrade :D

bru

bru

Soldato
With HBM gen 2 it will be interesting just how much memory the new Pascal range has.

As with HBM gen 1 there seems to be a minimum memory count per stack, now we have talked a lot about the 390x and the HBM gen 1 memory count per stack of 1GB, the rumour goes that AMD have 8GB of HBM and we will have to wait and see exactly how they have gone about it.
So the thing is that HBM gen 2 will have a 4GB memory count per stack, does this mean that we will be seeing 16GB cards (4 stacks) or will they go with only 2 stacks for 8GB. HBM gen 2 can have 8GB per memory stack, does this mean we will see a 32GB Titan ??.

One thing is for certain, interesting times ahead.

tbh

tbh

Associate
I was hoping that Pascal would be launched in time for Oculus Rift CV1, but since that was recently announced for Q1 2006 it seems unlikely :(

Soldato
According to latest Hynix slides it's 2GB per stack for gen1 and 4GB for gen2. They must have improved it due to demands of the market or something.

The AMD rumour about a "dual-link interposer" doesn't seem to be necessary now.

Pascal will likely have 16GB as standard and perhaps 8Hi stacks or dual link (if it's real) for pro cards, giving 32GB. Bear in mind I'm talking Titan, the *80 card will probably have 8GB.

Associate
Is it definitely 2016 for pascal or is there any chance of them dropping late 2015? it sounds like it may come sooner than expected, I'd be tempted not to buy the 390x or 980ti for my new summer build and hold on if so

bru

bru

Soldato
According to latest Hynix slides it's 2GB per stack for gen1 and 4GB for gen2. They must have improved it due to demands of the market or something.

The AMD rumour about a "dual-link interposer" doesn't seem to be necessary now.

Pascal will likely have 16GB as standard and perhaps 8Hi stacks or dual link (if it's real) for pro cards, giving 32GB. Bear in mind I'm talking Titan, the *80 card will probably have 8GB.

Have you got links to the latest Hynix slides Orangey, as I cant seem to find any indicating more then 1GB per stack. cheers.

Soldato
G69Y2CS.jpg

Looking at that again now maybe they have just added a second chip off to the side in each layer, and perhaps a dual-link interposer refers to the ability to connect to both with one set of traces.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
That would be Gb (bits) not GB (bytes), it's so confusing some times.

Makes you wonder if Werner Bucholz who invented the term Byte ( a deliberate misspelling of bite, so as not to confuse it with bit, according to wikipedia) knew just how much confusion it would cause further down the line.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That would be Gb (bits) not GB (bytes), it so confusing some times.

Makes you wonder if Werner Bucholz who invented the term Byte ( a deliberate misspelling of bite, so as not to confuse it with bit, according to wikipedia) knew just how much confusion it would cause further down the line.

Yup, he was just a massive *massive* troll ;) :p

:D

Soldato
So will Kaapstad be the first to drop £10k+ on a system willing to take 8 Pascal Titans?

Lel, this industry is hilarious.

If if gets silly I'll drop out of PC gaming all together and just go console. Can't afford these high prices for much longer. These prices are just getting stupid. If they don't lower prices I'm out.

Soldato
NVLink is a supercomputing interconnect, some people think it won't even come to desktop. Although if using 8 GPUs gives a benefit why not have the option?

ashmanuk67: 80% or more is a good bet

Back
Top Bottom