• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

bru

bru

Soldato
AND? 16Gb = 2GB.

So sick of pointing this out.

Yes your right, it is. I did say it was confusing, it's just me getting confused. :)

One thing I don't understand is that image you posted, it is all over the web, but I cannot find it on the SK Hynix website at all, in fact the one on the Hynix website shows completely different figures. Their databook PDF only list 1GB HBM modules available as well, and that is dated Q2 2015.

A crop of the image you linked too, the one all over the web.

hynix-1.jpg

The one on the Hynix website.

http://www.skhynix.com/gl/products/graphics/graphics_info.jsp

hynix-2.jpg

The info in the databook PDF

http://www.skhynix.com/inc/pdfDownload.jsp?path=/datasheet/Databook/Databook_Q2'2015_Graphics.pdf

hynix-3.jpg

Something isn't right, either the Hynix website is incorrect or that image is incorrect, because the two don't tally up. Of course there could be another explanation that I haven't thought of.

Anyway not all that relevant to Pascal as that will be using HBM2 next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
The slide is from GTC 2015 (March), the website could be older, the 2GB ones could be bagsied by AMD & Apple.

You don't have to work so hard to downplay every AMD success, I noticed you found counter evidence quick enough on your own.

bru

bru

Soldato
The slide is from GTC 2015 (March), the website could be older, the 2GB ones could be bagsied by AMD & Apple.

You don't have to work so hard to downplay every AMD success, I noticed you found counter evidence quick enough on your own.

I'm not trying to downplay anything, I am just trying to find out why the info on HBM that is plastered all over the web doesn't match what the info on the manufacturers website says.

AMD have already shown us slides that says up to 8GB and the use of dual link interposing. exactly what this means and how they have gone about it we will hopefully find out when the new card gets here.

It seems to me that you are seeing anything that is posted about HBM as an attack on AMD, which in this instance is not the case at all, this thread isn't about AMD at all but about the actual HBM modules.

Associate
One says HBM, the other says HBM2 so I'd not expect the power numbers to be the same. Maybe HBM2 brings power saving gains too? Picture is pretty grainy so didn't have a clear view of what's on the right in your circle - looks mostly like someone decided to borrow an existing set of slides and update rather than create from scratch. Just cause they don't list availability of 8 high stacks doesn't mean they've not looked at using them etc, so they may be on a slide but not in their parts list.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
One says HBM, the other says HBM2 so I'd not expect the power numbers to be the same. Maybe HBM2 brings power saving gains too? Picture is pretty grainy so didn't have a clear view of what's on the right in your circle - looks mostly like someone decided to borrow an existing set of slides and update rather than create from scratch. Just cause they don't list availability of 8 high stacks doesn't mean they've not looked at using them etc, so they may be on a slide but not in their parts list.

It does indeed, I never noticed, lol.
I suspect that Orangey is right and the website is older and has not been updated, or perhaps the 16Gb HBM1 4 high stacks are not available as of yet, which might very well be the case seeing as the 390x is supposedly using 2x1GB dual link HBM.

Either way round NVidia Pascal should be using HBM2, so a 32GB Titanesque card could very well be making an appearance.

Soldato
If a 32GB card does appear next year I think it would be a pro card not a geforce. Unless developers come to NV requesting it.

We're almost to the point where a game can be installed entirely in VRAM.

bru

bru

Soldato
If a 32GB card does appear next year I think it would be a pro card not a geforce. Unless developers come to NV requesting it.

You might be right, I'm only thinking that it might happen because of the minimum memory allowed with HBM2, 4GB per stack. 4 of those on the GP204(16GB) and they would have to top that on the Titanesque GP200, so 32GB could be a possibility.

Running a game entirely from Vram, kiss goodbye to loading times. :)

Soldato
OP

+1

Got a feeling that pro cards aside the next flagship Titan esq card (GP200) might come with 16GB, but the mainstream cards (GP204) will come with 8GB.

Associate
Having felt the pain of the AMD 390X thread with that card supposedly launching soon, IMO it's a bit too early to make a Pascal thread. All I can say is, the supposed large performance increase sounds too good to be true and I don't believe it. Not until I see the benchmarks, which will likely be a year or so away. I'd bet that Pascal would be using HBM memory though.

Associate
So the next flagship whatever they call it (GM200 Successor), might come with more than 12GB HBM 2.0, while the mainstream flagship (GM204 Successor) will likely come with 8GB HBM 2.0.

These cards are going to be epic :eek:

Looking forward to seeing AMD's first HBM cards soon, but next year I think these cards are going to have ridiculous performance. Nvidia will no doubt release a monster card to cement their lead after AMD's 3XX series. It's gonna be good :D

AMD 400 series realeases next year with HBM 2.0, GCN 2.0 and 14nm finfet.
It is by no means a given that Nvidia will regain the crown next year.

ALso, Pascal will not arrive until the end of next year and thats IF TMSC sorts themselves out so the 16nm finfet proposed is good to go.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
AMD 400 series realeases next year with HBM 2.0, GCN 2.0 and 14nm finfet.
It is by no means a given that Nvidia will regain the crown next year.

ALso, Pascal will not arrive until the end of next year and thats IF TMSC sorts themselves out so the 16nm finfet proposed is good to go.

Ok so you reckon that Pascal wont arrive till the end of next year and yet you reckon that the 400 series on 14nm will arrive next year.

I'll give you one thing I like your optimism.:)

Man of Honour
Hopefully we will see tapeout leaks within a couple of months.

For reference the Fiji leak was a year ago roughly.

Yeah tape outs "would" be roughly July if we take TSMC at their word...

(Then again if things had been as TSMC claimed Titan X would have been on 20nm :S).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom