• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Phenom II Overclocking Thread***

Soldato
Good start! :)

I've just ordered a 720BE to play with, and a OCZ Vendetta cooler as my Arctic Freezer Pro is now a bit oldskool. ;)

If I can get my 720 to 4GHz I'll probably sell the 940.

Associate
Good start! :)

I've just ordered a 720BE to play with, and a OCZ Vendetta cooler as my Arctic Freezer Pro is now a bit oldskool. ;)

If I can get my 720 to 4GHz I'll probably sell the 940.

So tempting to buy another 720BE just for the hell of it, possibly a working 4th core too :D. And if I could get my 720 to 4GHz I'd stop dancing naked at midnight in the back garden, promise.

Soldato
Well my 940 ran at 3.8GHz on stock volts, I've only tweaked it very slightly to run at just over 4GHz, so I have high hopes for my 720BE... it'll arrive tomorrow so stay tuned for Saturday's results. :D

Soldato
Looks like I can ge the 3.8 but need to increase voltage to around the 1.47 mark and I dont want to do this as the CPU starts to use a lot more power for minimal gain So I think - for now... Ill sit at 3.6 :)

Soldato
ahh i cant even get mine stable at 3.6 atm =( whenever i change anything to diwth with ht speeds it just hates it, and it wont boot properly at 3.6 even at 1.425v if i just raise the multi, any thoughts?

Associate
ahh i cant even get mine stable at 3.6 atm =( whenever i change anything to diwth with ht speeds it just hates it, and it wont boot properly at 3.6 even at 1.425v if i just raise the multi, any thoughts?

As far as the CPU is concerned the only real limit to the CPU voltage you can use is your cooling - with air cooling, so long as the load temperature is less than 55C you should be safe. The proviso here is that your psu and mb should be up to the task.

If you hit this limit, or simply don't want to push the voltage higher, the next thing to try is increasing the 'Processor-NB Voltage'. See table 4 in Dolk's guide

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5985635&postcount=7

This 'Processor-NB Voltage' relates to the on chip memory controller so it is still a voltage supplied to the CPU, just not the main processor core. As such increasing this voltage will have some effect on overall CPU temperature and extreme tweakers may lower the CPU voltage a little to compensate, but I think you'd have to be near the ragged edge to require this compensation.

The final thing to try is to reduce the CPU multiplier to the best stable value, or possibly 0.5 less, and compensate by increasing the FSB frequency. When initially playing with the FSB it's also a good idea to reduce the 'Processor-NB Frequency Multiplier', 'CPU-NB HT Link Speed' and possibly the RAM divider to keep these within spec.

Read Dolk's guide again, especially post #4. There's a lot of good information to be found :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

Soldato
OP
1.5v is safe amd says, but u need a good cooler.

what cooler u using?

if its an aftermarket cooler, i would say up the voltage to 1.45 or 1.475v then u should hit 3.6ghz even maybe 3.7ghz. or try upping the CPU-NB voltage to 1.1875 V

Last edited:
Soldato
As far as the CPU is concerned the only real limit to the CPU voltage you can use is your cooling - with air cooling, so long as the load temperature is less than 55C you should be safe. The proviso here is that your psu and mb should be up to the task.

If you hit this limit, or simply don't want to push the voltage higher, the next thing to try is increasing the 'Processor-NB Voltage'. See table 4 in Dolk's guide

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5985635&postcount=7

This 'Processor-NB Voltage' relates to the on chip memory controller so it is still a voltage supplied to the CPU, just not the main processor core. As such increasing this voltage will have some effect on overall CPU temperature and extreme tweakers may lower the CPU voltage a little to compensate, but I think you'd have to be near the ragged edge to require this compensation.

The final thing to try is to reduce the CPU multiplier to the best stable value, or possibly 0.5 less, and compensate by increasing the FSB frequency. When initially playing with the FSB it's also a good idea to reduce the 'Processor-NB Frequency Multiplier', 'CPU-NB HT Link Speed' and possibly the RAM divider to keep these within spec.

Read Dolk's guide again, especially post #4. There's a lot of good information to be found :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

thanks for the advice, that guide looks pretty damn good, when im back from work ill see how much further i can push it:p im quite new to overclocking these so a lot of the options are new to me as well, but ill have a fiddle with the NB voltage and see if it helps

Soldato
1.5v is safe amd says, but u need a good cooler.

what cooler u using?

if its an aftermarket cooler, i would say up the voltage to 1.45 or 1.475v then u should hit 3.6ghz even maybe 3.7ghz. or try upping the CPU-NB voltage to 1.1875 V

ahh i see i was getting a bit worried at 1.45 becuase it seems pretty high, especially seen as my old athlon ran much hotter at 1.35 lol, but ill see if 1.5 makes any difference as well, temps seem ok, still under 50 on load with a thermaltake blue orb as cooling, so theres definately still some headroom i think:D

Soldato
Just been working on a fast stock volt setup. So far I've managed:

3.5GHz/2500MHz HT/250NB/DRAM 980MHz.

31'c under load here. Idles at 21.5'c. OCZ Vendetta II cooler.

I don't see why I'd need anymore than that for the time being, I might try and find the 3.75GHz voltage sweet spot tomorrow.

Might try a 4GHz high volt run too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom