The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Soldato
The Airbus X Extended is out!

Not that I know much/anything about it, I'm just echoing what other flight sim forums are saying...

I've looked on Aerosoft's website and now watched the vid!

And also, in this month's rw 'Airliner World' magazine, there's a great article on South African Airway's test flight of an Airbus.

Last edited:
Associate
The Airbus X Extended is out!

Not that I know much/anything about it, I'm just echoing what other flight sim forums are saying...

I've looked on Aerosoft's website and now watched the vid!

And also, in this month's rw 'Airliner World' magazine, there's a great article on South African Airway's test flight of an Airbus.

Indeed and now it's finally out the door I may get some time to join you guys for some flying in FSX.

Sorry I've not been around but what with work and this project my free simming time has been next to nothing. Hope you guys are all doing well.

Associate
Indeed and now it's finally out the door I may get some time to join you guys for some flying in FSX.

Sorry I've not been around but what with work and this project my free simming time has been next to nothing. Hope you guys are all doing well.

Good to hear from you again mate. Hope all is well. Blue and I have done a few flights not as much as we would like.

Be good for you to join us again.

Soldato
Folks Im working through the tutorials in FSX and Ive come to the Solo flight taxi mission.
Thing is it doesnt explain the procedures for taking off etc.
Is there a tutorial somewhere that anyone can recommend about how to taxi and take off (and land/taxi) ?

Associate
Folks Im working through the tutorials in FSX and Ive come to the Solo flight taxi mission.
Is there a tutorial somewhere that anyone can recommend about how to taxi and take off (and land/taxi) ?

Taxi - use small amounts of power to get a 'brisk walking pace' going. Use rudder controls to steer (as they are linked to the nosewheel/tailwheel depending on the plane). If the taxiway has a yellow centerline, try to keep the plane on it!

Takeoff - Line up in the middle of the runway, give it full power, pull up when you have enough speed. Simples! Generally speaking, speeds at which you should pull back are around 60-70kts for Light aircraft, 100ish for medium and 130-150 for the big airliners

Landing takes a bit more skill, ill do some digging later for a decent tutorial as it will probably explain it much better than me!

Last edited:
Soldato

Landing
Landing takes some practice. Try the follwing to get you started with landings, but bear in mind they are not standards.

Also, download and install 'Plan-G' for FSX. This will give you a visual representation of where you are flying.

At your chosen runway, in the default Cessna, lined up on the centreline, find your 'altimeter'. The thing that measures your height.

There's a little rotating knob to the left of it. Using your mouse wheel to change the air pressure value so that your height is '0'. This now means that to land, you will aim for a height of '0' feet.

Now find the 'HDG' rotating knob. Roate the bug so that is at 12 O' Clock, i.e your runway heading. Take off and fly the runway heading and get to 1000 ft as thingemajib said.

Using Plan-G, try and fly a rectangle. The runway will form the 'centre bit' of the right hand line. It has some of the right hand line above and below it. When you are in the 'bit above', turn left 90 degrees (top part of rectangle). Try to stay at 1000ft.

Wait 30 seconds. Now turn left 90 degress. Parallel side of rectangle. You should be flying with the runway to your left hand side.

With the start of the runway at a 45 degree angle or there abouts from your rear quarter view left-hand window, turn left 90 degrees. This will be the bottom part of rectangle.

In Plan-g, where you see the green bit of the runway, turn left 90 degrees.

Start reducing power to 60 kts and aim for the runway.

There are plenty of online tutorials and YouTube videos to assist.

As always, you can practice on your own or online with V and myself. all standards welcome. We can fly on Gamespy.

Soldato
Taxi - use small amounts of power to get a 'brisk walking pace' going. Use rudder controls to steer (as they are linked to the nosewheel/tailwheel depending on the plane). If the taxiway has a yellow centerline, try to keep the plane on it!

Takeoff - Line up in the middle of the runway, give it full power, pull up when you have enough speed. Simples! Generally speaking, speeds at which you should pull back are around 60-70kts for Light aircraft, 100ish for medium and 130-150 for the big airliners

Landing takes a bit more skill, ill do some digging later for a decent tutorial as it will probably explain it much better than me!

Thanks folks, but I was actually more interested in the taxi aspect... i.e. when you first start from a runway what are the procedures to get going and how do you know "where to go" to get to the end of the runway to take off (radio comms etc etc).
And also when landing, (thanks bluetonic) what are the procedures for that? e.g. communicating with the tower etc etc?

Soldato
There's probably too much to take in and let us know what level you feel you're currently at with FSX and where you intend to go :)

If you're using the built in ATC in FSX, it's fairly good with assisting and can give a where to taxi indicator. Do you currently use that?

VATSIM provides real-people ATC and uses near-to real world procedures for comms. If you do a search of me on this thread, I've posted plenty of comm examples in the past.

In a Cessna / light aircraft, you'd start from the General Aviation (GA) parking. You'd listen to the Airport Information Service. You'd make communications with the tower.

The NATS website has links for Aerodrome, parking, departure and arrival charts.

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=36&Itemid=85.html

Also have a look at CIX which proved helpful when I was new to procedures.

http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/li

Back
Top Bottom