The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Associate
Those screens are great quality! Are you using special textures? Detail is great.

Special textures for what specifically? If you mean ground textures - they're the new England Orbx textures. Cloud textures are just REX. It helps massively given that I run FSX at 2560x1440 - so it always looks overly detailed once I size it down to 1600x*.

Soldato
Special textures for what specifically? If you mean ground textures - they're the new England Orbx textures. Cloud textures are just REX. It helps massively given that I run FSX at 2560x1440 - so it always looks overly detailed once I size it down to 1600x*.

I meant aircraft textures. They just look so sharp! I suppose that resolution explains why it looks good then. What spec are you running?

Associate
I meant aircraft textures. They just look so sharp! I suppose that resolution explains why it looks good then. What spec are you running?

Ah right, the aircraft textures are just bog-standard PMDG NGX liveries. The resolution does explain most of it, after all it's 80% more pixels than 1920x1080. As for specifications, I have a 2700K at 4.7GHz and a GTX 560 (have had a 580/670 in the past, wasn't really any better).

Soldato
Ah right, the aircraft textures are just bog-standard PMDG NGX liveries. The resolution does explain most of it, after all it's 80% more pixels than 1920x1080. As for specifications, I have a 2700K at 4.7GHz and a GTX 560 (have had a 580/670 in the past, wasn't really any better).

I might do an upgrade to Sandy/Ivy in the new year all being well. Already have the 560Ti. Do you run with Kosta's inspector settings?

Associate
Merry christmas all

I got a 30 minute Boeing flight experience as a gift today and apparently I can choose my route. I was thinking maybe Lyon to Verona as I found the route beautiful when I did it in real life.

Does anyone else have any recommendation for a picturesque route I could choose?

Soldato
There's probably too much to take in and let us know what level you feel you're currently at with FSX and where you intend to go :)

If you're using the built in ATC in FSX, it's fairly good with assisting and can give a where to taxi indicator. Do you currently use that?

VATSIM provides real-people ATC and uses near-to real world procedures for comms. If you do a search of me on this thread, I've posted plenty of comm examples in the past.

In a Cessna / light aircraft, you'd start from the General Aviation (GA) parking. You'd listen to the Airport Information Service. You'd make communications with the tower.

The NATS website has links for Aerodrome, parking, departure and arrival charts.

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=36&Itemid=85.html

Also have a look at CIX which proved helpful when I was new to procedures.

http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/li

Thanks bluetonic! Thats exactly what I was asking for :)
Actually I am just using really basic vanilla FSX. So please consider that my taxi/ATC skills are zero and I am just working my way through the tutorials in FSX at the moment.
Are there any addon tutorials you can buy for more advanced lessons? How do you all learn the tricks of the trade so to speak?

Soldato
The best way to learn IMO is through other people.

If you have a headset/mic, download Mumble voice client. Get yourself a Gamespy a/c setup through FSX 'multiplayer' menu. And then come back here and report. In the week I can take you through the basics via Gamespy.

Associate
Get yourself a Gamespy a/c setup through FSX 'multiplayer' menu. And then come back here and report. In the week I can take you through the basics via Gamespy.

Is that still possible? I thought the FSX GameSpy servers was just a memory now, closed down a couple of weeks back. Has someone else launched a lobby replacement?

You can still use FSX multiplayer if you know the IP address of the host.

Associate
Is that still possible? I thought the FSX GameSpy servers was just a memory now, closed down a couple of weeks back. Has someone else launched a lobby replacement?

You can still use FSX multiplayer if you know the IP address of the host.

wow, had no idea too :eek:

This might get more people on Vatsim, so maybe not a bad idea ;)

Back
Top Bottom