*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
there are QC issues with some of them, a guy at work had to rma his as the dpad wasnt working properly and sounded like an old microswitch when pressing up.

It amazes me how major manufacturers struggle to get dpad/buttons right, yet a cheapo retro handheld can be rock solid...
I guess there will always be slight manufacturing problems, but it does amaze me that there's seemingly no QC at all.
It would have taken someone about 10 seconds to find the squeeky spring on the trigger and another 5 seconds to realise the dpad was way too soft.
Same with screen issue, DOA units and everything else inbetween. Many issues were reported when people started receiving their units.

Do Valve not have any QC team(s) to test units before they are sent out? Interesting it seems only the review units were tested to make sure there were no issues!

Soldato
The delivery side is overblown. People paying in £ sterling are expecting Amazon level of next day delivery. The truth is they are shipped from The Netherlands, not next day delivery, or even next day shipping. They are shipped out like in batches, and then moved over in batches it seems. During transit there is no update between the 2 countries. Just basically "Shipped", and then "delivery tomorrow" People get nervous when it feels like it is off radar for a few days. I am used to it, I have even shipped large items from Japan via boat, with no tracking. 3 months at sea! So in the end, it arrives in about a week, 7 days or so. People expects 24hrs, even from Europe, just because it's via "Courier". It's a simple case of expectations. They think tracking must = fast delivery.

The courier when it comes into the UK, I can't remember, but it's fine, I got mine in 1 piece. I think it was Parcel Force.

For the actual unit, get an OLED if you are unsure, as it is a better unit. as for Storage, SD card is fine, you can run games from it just fine. Storage isn't the reason for the OLED, the screen and battery life are.
It shouldn't say 3-5 day delivery if it arrives in a week - 2 weeks.

Soldato
Ordered my OLED on Monday so we'll see how long it takes to arrive.

I still have my LCD so dont mind if it takes a week or two to get here!

Can't wait to see the screen and improved battery life.

Associate
Is anyone else experiencing issues with the wifi on their deck? If I hardwire it or tether to my phone it works flawlessly, but when connected to my home wireles (Deco mesh network) it constantly disconnects and reconnects to the steam servers and any game that requires online play is unusable. I've tried a few things (either on their own or in combination) with no success

1) Disabled power management in the developer menu on the deck
2) Set ipv6 to disabled
3) Forced 2.4ghz mode on the connection on the Deco router.
4) Tried beta channel on the steamOS software

I've not used it since before Christmas but prior to that it was working fine so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what has changed. Any suggestions short of replacing my home wireless setup would be appreciated!

Associate
I guess there will always be slight manufacturing problems, but it does amaze me that there's seemingly no QC at all.
It would have taken someone about 10 seconds to find the squeeky spring on the trigger and another 5 seconds to realise the dpad was way too soft.
Same with screen issue, DOA units and everything else inbetween. Many issues were reported when people started receiving their units.

Do Valve not have any QC team(s) to test units before they are sent out? Interesting it seems only the review units were tested to make sure there were no issues!
Hardly any manufacturing process has 100% QC, its all a sample, with the size based on a risk analysis. Most also assume all inputs into the process i.e. brought in components are 100% correct, and assume the suppliers have been audited and have sufficient controls in place so no defect components reach them.

Looking at ordering a deck, but it will only see fairly low usage i'd imagine so think i'm just gonna go with an LCD version, as cant justify the additional cost of the OLED. Was keeping an eye on Steam for the refurbished to come back in stock but have given up!

Last edited:
Associate
Hardly any manufacturing process has 100% QC, its all a sample, with the size based on a risk analysis. Most also assume all inputs into the process i.e. brought in components are 100% correct, and assume the suppliers have been audited and have sufficient controls in place so no defect components reach them.

Looking at ordering a deck, but it will only see fairly low usage i'd imagine so think i'm just gonna go with an LCD version, as cant justify the additional cost of the OLED. Was keeping an eye on Steam for the refurbished to come back in stock but have given up!

Unless you are getting a really cheap deal on an LCD I would go for the OLED. It is better in nearly every way.

You might be surprised with the amount you use the Steam Deck. I have used mine every single day since I got it on Xmas day. I haven't played on my 3060ti gaming PC since I got the Steam Deck.

Soldato
Agreed with the above opinion.
Not using the Steam Deck myself, but the convenience of playing PC games on the couch whilst the wife watches something on TV is just something I can't argue with. If I was buying a handheld now, I'd be going for the Steam Deck OLED over my Ayaneo.

Soldato
Has anyone setup Greenlight to remote into their Xbox for gaming?

I had it setup perfectly for my wife, they released a new update now my deck doesn't recognise as a controller (but the keys mapped to Xbox home, mouse movement etc all work so I can turn the console off, but not actually navigate around the xbox, play a game, only the home Xbox button that's mapped gets recognised)

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, older version etc, no luck.

Edit just sacked it off and bought xbplay and working fine

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone managed to get Fortnite working on this? If so how does it perform?

I'm considering buying one but seen mixed views on the performance of this on the SteamDeck.

Associate
I finally got sick enough of random crashing with reboot to contact steam support. After going through all their troubleshooting steps they've issued an RMA. I was sure that it would be outside of the warranty period (July 2022), but I'm not sure if we're still covered for two years since we dropped anchor.
Anyway. Pick up tomorrow and I'm quite happy to find they are happy to replace it.

Soldato
Has anyone managed to get Fortnite working on this? If so how does it perform?

I'm considering buying one but seen mixed views on the performance of this on the SteamDeck.
I think you’d need to install windows to load it but I doubt the experience will be good enough as Epic don’t support the deck

Back
Top Bottom