*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Unless you are getting a really cheap deal on an LCD I would go for the OLED. It is better in nearly every way.

You might be surprised with the amount you use the Steam Deck. I have used mine every single day since I got it on Xmas day. I haven't played on my 3060ti gaming PC since I got the Steam Deck.

Depends what you class as "really cheap" I guess, but given there is supposedly a new version coming in a couple of years, a cheap LCD is a good way to check how much use it will get without ”wasting" too much ££ (plus worst case scenario, you could resell it for not much loss), VS a new OLED at almost twice the price which would lose a load of value if you did then sell it.

New vs new then I'd say OLED, but £200-250 for a used LCD VS £480 for a new OLED isn't quite so clear, especially if you aren't sure if it will be used much

Last edited:
Associate
Been playing Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Hitman Contracts recently. A bit of fiddling to get widescreen working properly, and unfortunately I can't get AA working at the same time, but otherwise got some custom controls going and it works great. Already completed Hitman 2 and nearly done with Contracts. Love how well this plays older games.

After a LOT of effort last year I also got Black and White working with widescreen patch and great controls. Love the nostalgia trip.

Also very much recommend the native linux GTA 3 and GTA VC if you can get your hands on it (think you need the original games on steam too and then mod it and run via seperate linux executable). It's literally perfect and loads so fast - much better than the 'definitive' edition. GTA SA i've had to use the definitive mod version as the mod team got cancelled before they could port it to linux.

Soldato
Absolutely loving mine since I've got it. Finished a load of PC games that I missed out on being a console only owner and set up EmuDeck on it which has been great.

Soldato
Has anyone played the Ori games on Deck? The bundle for the both of them is currently on sale but I've noticed one of them isn't verified and there is mixed reports online on if it works or not.
Can anyone who has them confirm if they work okay? Thanks.

Soldato
Has anyone played the Ori games on Deck? The bundle for the both of them is currently on sale but I've noticed one of them isn't verified and there is mixed reports online on if it works or not.

Will of the Wisps says it's playable but might require some use of the onscreen keyboard, seems to be the only reason it's not verified. I've queued them both up to install though, will post back tomorrow with results :)

Soldato
Installed quicker than expected, I fired them both up, loaded up some old saves, had a little run around, checked all the controls. No problems at all with either of them (I have the definitive edition of Blind Forest, think that's the only one you can get now anyway).

I don't remember having to use the keyboard on Will of the Wisps when I played it originally, which would have been streaming from my PC to my Nvidia Shield.

Edit: looks like the keyboard requirement maybe something to do with linking to a Microsoft account (see link below), maybe I did this on my PC before? I don't remember as it was years ago, but I certainly didn't have to do it now, and my cloud save loaded fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished a run through of Sniper Elite 2 to 4 on my Switch, wanting to play 5 I bought it for my Steam Deck.

Wow!! It looks amazing on the Deck, runs flawlessly.

Soldato
Mid way through Alien Isolation now, although I played this years ago now the Deck has me doing another play through.

The game looks and runs flawlessly and showing a solid 90fps :cry:

Also, I just bought Uncharted in the sale as it said it was Deck Verified, will be checking that out next

Last edited:
Soldato
Installed quicker than expected, I fired them both up, loaded up some old saves, had a little run around, checked all the controls. No problems at all with either of them (I have the definitive edition of Blind Forest, think that's the only one you can get now anyway).

I don't remember having to use the keyboard on Will of the Wisps when I played it originally, which would have been streaming from my PC to my Nvidia Shield.

Edit: looks like the keyboard requirement maybe something to do with linking to a Microsoft account (see link below), maybe I did this on my PC before? I don't remember as it was years ago, but I certainly didn't have to do it now, and my cloud save loaded fine.

Brillant, thank you for that!

Soldato

A tip to check if games will run or not is to install "Decky Loader", then install the "ProtonDB" plugin for it. Once installed it will add a platinum/gold/silver/bronze badge to each games main page. The colour of the badge gives an indication of how compatible with the deck it is. A tap on the badge will open a page where people have made comments on how it runs, what steps to take to get it running if any etc. There is a considerable number of games which either haven't been tested or show as unsupported according to the official Steam stance on a game, but the ProtonDB badge shows them to run ok. There are still some games which even ProtonDB hasn't got round to checking, it will say "Pending" for those, but there are way more games that have been tested than the official Steam check says. And you can check the ProtonDB status without downloading the game, if it is in your library, which thinking about it is not that helpful to you after all, since you don't have the games, oops. Still, a useful tip anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does this work in the store? I thought I read that it only applies to games in your library meaning you'd have to buy it before you can see the badges.

I think the plugin just extracts info from the actual ProtonDB website, so in theory you could just go to that website and find the game with the user comments, compatibility etc. so don't have to own the game to check. www.protondb.com

Associate
Playing Dead Space Remake. Never played the original and have to say its pretty great. Pushes the deck but 35-40fps is achievable and it looks amazing on the OLED.
Also played this on my LCD deck after never playing the original. There were a few sections, close to the end, where performance was pretty bad, but otherwise I thought it ran alright and was decent fun.

Soldato
The original Dead Space runs amazingly well on the deck and looks great. It was also designed for 720p so the UI is at a readable size.

I was impressed by how good it looked and played for such an old game.

Soldato
just cloned my 256 gig nvme to a shiny new corsair 1tb one and just finished installing it :)

it was easier than i thought but still a bit nerve wracking lol also the cloning seems to of worked :)

edit : this is the drive i went for

Corsair MP600 MINI 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 Gen4 2 SSD – M.2 2230​

edit: dad just bought the 2tb version of that drive, i hope his 512gb deck is the refresh version too and guess who is gonna fit it? dang the price of the 2tb one seems to of dropped to about 160 over night, paid 94 for mine plus the tools to do it proper, 24 quid for wera screw drivers only had to use the 0 one, 30 quid for a UGREEN M.2 NVMe and SATA SSD Enclosure, [Tool-free] USB 3.2 Gen2 10Gbps NVMe Enclosure, 6Gbps SATA M.2 Caddy, UASP & TRIM, Aluminum M2 SSD Enclosure for M-Key/B+M Key in 2230/2242/2260/2280 and got some plastic pryers coming today, i used a metal one that came with a watch repair kit :p

heard loads of complaints about that caddy been hot i guess they never used the provided thermal tape, mine ran pretty cool and it was fast, less than 20 mins and my drive was cloned, i moved any games from it to my sd card but still had about 60 odd gig of data on it and all seems to be working so far :)

edit: this really helped me for the cloning https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/0/7529517132622525163/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom