• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
Looking to buy a 7900 XT, coming from a 3070. In terms of performance and power draw, what can I expect? I know it's more powerful but this will be my first time using a AMD graphics card since I had a 470, been 1070ti and 3070 since then. Are there any optomizations I should be doing? I've seen mention of undervolting.
According to tech powerup you are looking at 70% improvement. Power draw not sure on the 7900xt but my 7900xtx likes a sip. unleashed. 450watts worth at full pelt. Obviously this is worst case. They can easily be tamed in the drivers. There is plenty of under volting to be done or you can set a max frequency which is what I do for some games, and it won’t go above 200 watts. You can also set a negative offset in the drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking to buy a 7900 XT, coming from a 3070. In terms of performance and power draw, what can I expect? I know it's more powerful but this will be my first time using a AMD graphics card since I had a 470, been 1070ti and 3070 since then. Are there any optomizations I should be doing? I've seen mention of undervolting.
Optimization wise I would recommended undervolting if your card allows (pretty much all should do). I've got a Sapphire 7900XT Pulse which runs at 2450mhz (I think) @ 1100mV stock. I've got my card running at 2850mhz and 950mV. Power wise its draws around 300w at load. Undervolting doesn't lower the power draw though with the 7000 series card as the card will just boost as high as it can within the set power limits. If you want to increase or decrease power usages then use the Power Limit adjuster. I leave mine at 0% because I like to leave my card at around 300W draw.

Associate
Optimization wise I would recommended undervolting if your card allows (pretty much all should do). I've got a Sapphire 7900XT Pulse which runs at 2450mhz (I think) @ 1100mV stock. I've got my card running at 2850mhz and 950mV. Power wise its draws around 300w at load. Undervolting doesn't lower the power draw though with the 7000 series card as the card will just boost as high as it can within the set power limits. If you want to increase or decrease power usages then use the Power Limit adjuster. I leave mine at 0% because I like to leave my card at around 300W draw.
Thanks. I'll undervolt and see where it's stable.

Associate
Next question, what is the best way to go from a 3070 to the 7900 XT. I have Nvidia drivers installed and people recommend DDU, however my CPU (Ryzen 7) does not have onboard graphics so I can't take out the 3070, run DDU, then install the 7900 XT and AMD drivers. Is it ok to remove 3070, install 7900 XT and the drivers and then run DDU or just use normal windows uninstall to remove the Nvidia drivers?

Last edited:
Soldato
Next question, what is the best way to go from a 3070 to the 7900 XT. I have Nvidia drivers installed and people recommend DDU, however my CPU (Ryzen 7) does not have onboard graphics so I can't take out the 3070, run DDU, then install the 7900 XT and AMD drivers. Is it ok to remove 3070, install 7900 XT and the drivers and then run DDU or just use normal windows uninstall to remove the Nvidia drivers?
I would uninstall Nvidia drivers, disconnect from network to prevent any sneaky installs, restart and then run DDU. I think DDU has an uninstall and shutdown option, if so select that. Install new card. If your overly paranoid run DDU again to remove Nvidia drivers but shouldn't need to. Install AMD drivers. Be happy (hopefully :p)

Associate
Run DDU in safe mode
Choose the "Uninstall and shut down" option
After shutdown replace GPU and restart

Soldato
So did you have to lower the voltage and increase the clocks to get that or did the clocks increase by themselves once you reduced the voltage?

Soldato
So did you have to lower the voltage and increase the clocks to get that or did the clocks increase by themselves once you reduced the voltage?

In Wattman I set voltage to 950mV and max core clock to 2850mhz. If you just increase the core clocks without under voting the card will reach its max power sooner and not boost as high so providing the card is cable of it undervolting will allow the card to boost higher.

Soldato
Got a weird issue but I'm unsure if it's hardware or software.

During most games the clocks on the 7900XTX seem to drop as well as the GPU usage resulting in a sort of stuttering from the massively dropped frames, After a few seconds the usage and clocks go back up along with the FPS but it happens in most games especially alt tabbing back in to them.

I've done a DDU and installed the latest drivers but the issue remains, Anyone seen this behaviour before ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be worth trying an older driver in case it's a bug with current.

It's a shame AMD don't have their own version of Nvidia Studio drivers, Call it "AMD Creator" or something and have it bug tested to the nth degree for maximum stability.

I'm a member of AMD's Vanguard program so may see if they have a new beta driver out to test.

Soldato

During most games the clocks on the 7900XTX seem to drop as well as the GPU usage resulting in a sort of stuttering from the massively dropped frames, After a few seconds the usage and clocks go back up along with the FPS but it happens in most games especially alt tabbing back in to them.

I've done a DDU and installed the latest drivers but the issue remains, Anyone seen this behaviour before ?
What's the rest of your PC specs?

Soldato

chipset driver upto date, when you say the clocks and usage drop, is it to idle clocks in the 50mhz region and 0% usage when it hitches, how are temps of the card when under a gaming load? core,hotspot and ram are the main ones, hotspot ideally needs to be under 100c and ram needs to be below 90c ideally.

i would have a look at your temps on ram and ssd, i had issues when my ddr5 temps hit over 60 when i was overclocking them, dropped back to 6000mhz and although warm still i didnt get any crashing or abysmal gaming performance, same deal with ssd's, if they get hot they will throttle back hard and be slower than a hdd in extreme cases, 50-60c for gen 4 is plenty under load and 60-80c for gen 5 drives.

Last edited:
Soldato
chipset driver upto date, when you say the clocks and usage drop, is it to idle clocks in the 50mhz region and 0% usage when it hitches, how are temps of the card when under a gaming load? core,hotspot and ram are the main ones, hotspot ideally needs to be under 100c and ram needs to be below 90c ideally.

All drivers up to date, Windows fully updated.

GPU temp is roughly at 60, Hot spot around 70'c, GPU mem around the same, System ram is around 45'c, CPU is around 65'c.

Generally temps are great, Clocks just dip below 1000MHz and usage goes down to 10% for a few seconds, Then it'll go back up.

I may do a clean Windows install see if that helps.

Soldato
Generally temps are great, Clocks just dip below 1000MHz and usage goes down to 10% for a few seconds, Then it'll go back up.

could be a power supply issue, if a driver crashes clocks and utilization will drop back very low, the fact its going down to 1ghz means the card is working and requesting power its not getting, hense the drop in clocks, with regard to your psu is it very old and how have you got it wired up to your card. Are you using seprate power cables for each plug or using a spiltter cable?

whats the make and model of your gpu too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom