Three Mobile - Tether Blocking

Associate
Strange it works for you guys on PAYG £15/month. Clearly states in all the T&C's that tethering does not work on PAYG or Monthly Sim tariffs apart from the monthly sim One Plan tariff.

"Our Pay As You Go plans don't allow tethering. See our Pay As You Go Terms and Conditions for more information. "

:confused:

Soldato
Strange it works for you guys on PAYG £15/month. Clearly states in all the T&C's that tethering does not work on PAYG or Monthly Sim tariffs apart from the monthly sim One Plan tariff.

"Our Pay As You Go plans don't allow tethering. See our Pay As You Go Terms and Conditions for more information. "

Mines the monthly SIM deal and tethering isn't allowed but using an app like Wifi Tether gets round such restrictions

Caporegime

From what I understand, android does not show the network you are tethering, so it looks like normal data usage

Associate
I've just started getting dumped at 3 no tethering allowed page :mad:

On ultimate Internet 1000 - been Wifi tethering without problem for last 4 months and all of a sudden this morning it's no go.

Associate
I've got a similar question if anyone can shed some light on it (I've tried Google and failed miserably). If I try and run a torrent on Three it triggers the tethering block and I need to reboot etc, I've tried Adownloader and uTorrent for ANdroid both with the same results.

Anyone have any info as to whether it's confusing torrents for tethering at all, as far as I can tell this shouldn't class as tethering in any way.

Associate
I've just started getting dumped at 3 no tethering allowed page :mad:

On ultimate Internet 1000 - been Wifi tethering without problem for last 4 months and all of a sudden this morning it's no go.

Maybe they are OC UK Forum readers and you've been rumbled :p

I tether occasionally with 3 and had no problems :confused:

Associate
Maybe they are OC UK Forum readers and you've been rumbled :p

I tether occasionally with 3 and had no problems :confused:

It's a new contract, nothing dodgy, just only loaded it up to see if p2p was plausible as I've got unlimited data but immediately hit the problem. The page Three delivers to say that net access has been shut off just describes that they think I'm tethering, which of course I'm not.

I'd heard of some apps having this issue; Dolphin Browser used to trigger Three's tethering measures but I'm not sure if it does any more, just wondered if anyone has seen this with p2p or can replicate it.

Associate
I seem to have got round their tether block. Check out PDANet 3.50 in the Play Store. It's free and doesn't require root. It's USB not WIFI tether.

In the program that runs on the computer change the settings to : Hide Tether Usage / Level I.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pn.helper&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5wbi5oZWxwZXIiXQ..

Hmmmn doesn't seem to work again now or very intermittent throwing me back to 3 tether page (win 7). win 8 doesn't work at all it seems. I can't figure how 3 are detecting it.

Soldato
Surely they can still see that the User-Agent in the HTTP Header isn't a phone though...

Many people use different browsers on their phone to the android default and change the user agent so that the phone requests desktop pages instead of dumbed down mobile sites like the bbc one.

They might check screen resolution, but who's to say that your phone isn't hooked up to a monitor and running a keyboard and mouse via bluetooth.

Associate
I've got a similar question if anyone can shed some light on it (I've tried Google and failed miserably). If I try and run a torrent on Three it triggers the tethering block and I need to reboot etc, I've tried Adownloader and uTorrent for ANdroid both with the same results.

Anyone have any info as to whether it's confusing torrents for tethering at all, as far as I can tell this shouldn't class as tethering in any way.

I know this is an old post but I also get the tethering block, I have not tethered my phone at all but do have bittorent for android installed on it and didnt even put the 2 together, cant see why three would see torrents as proof of tethering? I assumed it was just a warning that comes up because I am a high data user.

Anyone else have this issue, I can only get rid of it by taking the battery and sim out of the galaxy s3?

Associate
Well, I'm a bit slow but in normal cases you can only bit torrent on PCs and laptops, right?

Why are you trying to torrent with a mobile connection anyway? It's simply not got the capacity to do it.

Also, I've been told that networks can detect if you're tethering by the change in TTL... allegedly.

Back
Top Bottom