Toyota Alphard Camper - BOUGHT & EXCITED -

Soldato
first time i sat in an alphard was when i went on holiday to africa. was in the alphard for a safari trip and it was setup with seats in the middle and the back and i was shocked how much legroom there was even for the seats in the far back. previous experience of 7 seaters was a zafira and sharan so the alphard is amazing compared to those. id be all over one if it came in diesel.

your one having a kitchen in the back is simply amazing. could you provide more info on how it all runs? where taps get water from? where is gas for cooker coming from? power for lighting etc is it just big car battery or something else etc etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Campervan, motorhome and caravan prices are through the roof since covid. I could probably sell my caravan for the same price I bought it for several years ago!

This. Next door neighbour mentioned to me recently he had somebody offer way more what they bought theirs for 6 years ago but like he said, anything he replaced it with would cost even more!

Soldato
OP
first time i sat in an alphard was when i went on holiday to africa. was in the alphard for a safari trip and it was setup with seats in the middle and the back and i was shocked how much legroom there was even for the seats in the far back. previous experience of 7 seaters was a zafira and sharan so the alphard is amazing compared to those. id be all over one if it came in diesel.

your one having a kitchen in the back is simply amazing. could you provide more info on how it all runs? where taps get water from? where is gas for cooker coming from? power for lighting etc is it just big car battery or something else etc etc.
Yeah great aren't they can only imagine how huge inside with seats.

As for the kitchen etc. Basically under the sink are two water bottles... one fresh one waste. There is a pump in the fresh one. You open tap it auto turns pump and out comes lovely fresh water. It's as simple as that. The gas is LPG in a small tank, same principle, just like the water. Click the ignitoion switch like any other two rings come on. It's actually really easy and simple tbh.

Power is a different story. So there is a mains. So, when driving, the car has relays that will then enable charging of the 12v leisure battery i.e. for keeping fridge cold etc. However, say you cmap up... and hook up to the camp site, you then get the full fat 240V into the van... which then you can run the main sockets on etc. As for lighting it's all run off that leisure battery and 12v feeds, all the LED's, all the ceiling lights etc. Really clever but once again actually simple when it's explained.

They don't use standard car batteries for the camper site, it's got to be a lesiure battery which can handle the constant charging etc, more heavy duty than a normal car battery. If you need anything else buddy, just ping me.

It goes into the body shop Monday for the front bumper repair, he has warned me that with it being a white pearl, it'll be a Tw@t to match but he'll get it 99% there... costing me £400 and he will also touch up anything else when he goes through it... so it's a little more but says it's a 3 stage paint as well, so it's a tough one but he's doing me a favour as I take all my cars to him so.

Soldato
Could you do more pics of the interior kitchen area. Show water tanks gas tank, i lots of drawers hiding away if you could do pics with them all open and a list of stuff they carrys, its like a preppers dream lol. I love this sort of stuff. Latest van i saw with kitchen in is that YouTuber ratemytakeaway but needed a lot more footage of the interior.

Also i see you got that popup roof how does someone sleep up there if there is no floor?

Soldato
OP
Could you do more pics of the interior kitchen area. Show water tanks gas tank, i lots of drawers hiding away if you could do pics with them all open and a list of stuff they carrys, its like a preppers dream lol. I love this sort of stuff. Latest van i saw with kitchen in is that YouTuber ratemytakeaway but needed a lot more footage of the interior.

Also i see you got that popup roof how does someone sleep up there if there is no floor?
Yeah will try and get some later buddy.

As for sleeping, yes you climb up there, basically once bed is out, you climb up and there is a roof. So, basically how it works is, the pop up roof going up... you then push the "ceiling" up on the struts. That gives you walking head room in the camper. Then when you want to sleep up there, you lower that "ceiling" and climb up there into the pop up section so there is a floor... but that floor is the ceiling of the camper in a way :)

Soldato
These kind of vans with turbos are really popular in Hong Kong and are often heavily modified with some expensive items. I get the impression it's all the jap turbo tuner crowd who now have a family :D

I've been in a few different ones used as taxis (fairly stock) and strangely they do have a certain appeal even though they shouldn't. I really need to have a chat with an owner of one as with the money spent on them, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are fully forged running silly bhp. Or maybe the ap racing 6 pots with huge rotors are just for show.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
These kind of vans with turbos are really popular in Hong Kong and are often heavily modified with some expensive items. I get the impression it's all the jap turbo tuner crowd who now have a family :D

I've been in a few different ones used as taxis (fairly stock) and strangely they do have a certain appeal even though they shouldn't. I really need to have a chat with an owner of one as with the money spent on them, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are fully forged running silly bhp. Or maybe the ap racing 6 pots with huge rotors are just for show.
Im sure i saw one on forum or youtube that had a 2jz-gte in it
Yeah they kinda go mental in Japan for these things, slammed to the ground on 20+ rims... engine mods body kits the full thing.. tbh I can imagine with all the seating a top engine model with suspension and wheel mods would rock!

Soldato
OP
Well, wheels came today very very happy with them, running 40PSI and they feel good. Need the tracking done tomorrow now! Bit more engine deatiling as well... so things to do:

1). Bodyshop on monday and full repair and respray on the front bumper...
2). Drop transmission and diff oils...
3). Change cambelt and probably water pump unless they look new as...
4). Fit 10.1" Android head unit...
5). Discs and Pads plus paint the calipers grey...

lyMhbqk.jpg

kcvurAy.jpg

VDF427D.jpg

wMu4xHU.jpg

6TBb9f9.jpg

M5Y3lTf.jpg

uRVkAcn.jpg

Soldato
OP
Ah spot on..looks perfect for 3. One day!
Well, i'm new to all this and got a couple of things planned, just small weekend to warm up etc... then will work out what we do need, don't need etc etc... all a learning experience but I'm a more "just be out the door in 30 minutes" type of guy, the missus will over think everything... which for me in a camper, isn't my way hahaha but we shall see!

Soldato
I was going to say that 19s would look ridiculous, but they actually look alright, although I'd have stuck with 16s for cost/comfort myself.

I agree the wheels look good but you have dropped the gap between wheels and body a lot so you deffo need to be very careful if you ever get proper muddy conditions or you stand a high chance stuff like a big stick can get stuck in there

really depends where your going to go though,99% of the time you wont even risk encountering something thats going to be an issue to you

Can you change the centre caps? I would get a decent toyota sticker on them personally

Soldato
OP
I agree the wheels look good but you have dropped the gap between wheels and body a lot so you deffo need to be very careful if you ever get proper muddy conditions or you stand a high chance stuff like a big stick can get stuck in there

really depends where your going to go though,99% of the time you wont even risk encountering something thats going to be an issue to you

Can you change the centre caps? I would get a decent toyota sticker on them personally
Nope, that's the thing, it looks like they have but they haven't Originally ran 225/55/17's, now running 245/40/19 the overall diametere is exactly the same at 26.7"... width increased by 7.9% and less sidewall but the overall diametere is the same so jeight remains the same. Hence why I didn't go 20's as they start to then make changes overall that I couldn't be bothered with.

And yeah I've got Toyota black centre caps on the way so they look more "OEM"

Back
Top Bottom