Toyota Alphard Camper - BOUGHT & EXCITED -

Soldato
when do we get the promised pop out bed picture ? I'd like to know how it works too (utube didn't tell me) for, hopefully, watching the stars

Associate
I love these Alphard’s would certainly have something like this, if we had anymore kids. They seem an excellent choice as a camper also, looks awesome to me.
I see one regularly on the way to work. What also happens to be the one is this video:

Soldato
OP
How much did you pay fella? Really tempted after watching the JayEmm video as usage as a van could be really handy as well as camping.
Ours was £19k mate, which is a lot of money but they go for all sorts of money when converted like ours. You can pick up a normal 7 seat version i.e. the MPV from £5k upwards for solid ones... and because they're 100% galvenised, they don't rust either... there's a few on auto trader buddy! We're well happy! Can't wait to get camping which could be... from Friday 29th which would be good... for a couple of nights. Then me and a mate going for two nights upto lakes... just to kinda get a feel for what you need and don't need etc!

Soldato
Yeah spotted a camper conversion for 25k which is a bit rich for me. The non campers appear reasonable though! Thanks
I got my Alphard camper for 12.5k. A day van conversion is more versatile as both doors still open, and you have a bigger bed that sleeps two comfortably. Can take some pics of the interior.

Soldato
I got my Alphard camper for 12.5k. A day van conversion is more versatile as both doors still open, and you have a bigger bed that sleeps two comfortably. Can take some pics of the interior.
Yes please! That's more around my budget.

Besides forum research is there a place to go to learn more about these things?

Soldato
Yes please! That's more around my budget.

Besides forum research is there a place to go to learn more about these things?
There is an owners club forum that has some useful info for servicing and stuff, although it's not mega active

https://www.ssautos.co.uk/ is where I got mine.

I'll get out and get a pic of mine once I'm awake....but the conversion I have is this one : So you get a big bed and some storage on one side (which I have stove, cooking stuff, gas etc stashed in). When it's folded up you get a massive loading area and doors opening both ways. There's a table you can get at from the rear which clips to the inside of the door for eating. Works really well for us as we're just doing climbing trips for 2-3 days and just need somewhere to crash and cook some food, rather than trying to live in the van for weeks. They're typically a lot cheaper.

It may be worth getting some quotes for a camper conversion of your choice from one of the conversions companies like Northstar, and then source a nice clean import base vehicle from somewhere like Stuart Spencer.

(Not mine this one)
njDwyq0.png

These are mine
uqldDcN.png

Jdl7lZ4.png

Nope, that's the thing, it looks like they have but they haven't Originally ran 225/55/17's, now running 245/40/19 the overall diametere is exactly the same at 26.7"... width increased by 7.9% and less sidewall but the overall diametere is the same so jeight remains the same. Hence why I didn't go 20's as they start to then make changes overall that I couldn't be bothered with.

And yeah I've got Toyota black centre caps on the way so they look more "OEM"

Ah its probably the width that is making the illusion of change then on your photos.
Pulling the front of the wheel tyre out is filling in the diagonal on the angled photos. :)

Soldato
OP
Depends how many sweet he has at the time :eek:
:cry::cry: A Years supply of Wethers Originals... gets them everytime hahaha

@mid_gen Yeah we were looking at the one like yours, with wider beds etc... there's kinda 3 main varients both of ours being on and another is wider bed like yours with the cooker coming around the drivers seat etc. Yours look fantastic sir, really nice and like you say you're not living out of it as such... none of us will, this isn't van life... need somewhere water proof, and comfy and that's it. For me with ours, I think our girl will go in the pop up... she's soo excited, the missus will go on the bed and I'll be on a camping bed in the awning which is cool with me... if I'm camping with a mate I'll be in the bed... You got any full shots of the van at all? What year is yours?

Soldato
:cry::cry: A Years supply of Wethers Originals... gets them everytime hahaha

@mid_gen Yeah we were looking at the one like yours, with wider beds etc... there's kinda 3 main varients both of ours being on and another is wider bed like yours with the cooker coming around the drivers seat etc. Yours look fantastic sir, really nice and like you say you're not living out of it as such... none of us will, this isn't van life... need somewhere water proof, and comfy and that's it. For me with ours, I think our girl will go in the pop up... she's soo excited, the missus will go on the bed and I'll be on a camping bed in the awning which is cool with me... if I'm camping with a mate I'll be in the bed... You got any full shots of the van at all? What year is yours?
mlWZVFk.png

From a trip to Scotland earlier in the year. It's a 2004 3.0 Alphard V in the same white as your. Stock apart from the bed conversion and aftermarket wind deflectors I added.

Had about 65k when I bought it, must be closer to 90k now. Was totally mint, but I've scraped it on a low wall on one corner, doh.

I took some Brasso to the headlights the other weeks and they came up like new....

Soldato
OP
@mid_gen Looks friggin ace just sat there whta a great piccie that is... yeah it's gonna get some scratches matey, ours has some, it is what it is... it's a camping tourer or whatever... it's going to get used!!! Mate, I can't wait to get it back next week with this bumper all done... I need some of my own pictures like this!!!

Soldato
OP
Well, I'm booked in for two "tester" weekends... one near Harlech next weekend and the following with a buddy in Yorshire Dales... the good thing is, the Harlech one is fully hooked up water and electric supply, the one with my mate is purely camper only no electric hookup so it'll be interesting to see how long the lesiure battery lasts! Really only thing is, the fridge will drain the batter on the non hookup so I think that's really the only sacrifice, I mean we're on in each location for 2 days so... just to get a feeling for it all!

Soldato
OP
Looks good.
I thought you were using that log as an axle stand at first glance :cry:
Hahaha, yeah so did my mate when I sent it through. TBH the calipers look rough in those pictures in the flesh look a lot better and smoother... happy with them all the the breaking wow, sooo much better. However, pushing big pistons in with your bare hands... it's tough!!! hahaha

Man of Honour
The OEMs look too much to me like the cheap trims they put over steels on the cheapest version of cars. So in that respect the aftermarket ones look much better.

Back
Top Bottom