Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
after putting my pension up to 10% , works only matches upto 7.5% , im now looking towards investing a little money each month, you you lot research what you are investing in or just pick companys that are huge or what? whats a dummys guide

Soldato
as much as my reply was going to be great guide lol , is that a legit reply in terms of whats a good place to start?
Generally speaking it's not a good idea to pick individual stocks as even people with inside information tend not to beat passive index funds. Many go for an s&p500 fund, all worlds devolved world, global all cap etc. And it depends on your time horizon appetite for risk, local bias etc.

The cookie cutter advice is pick a global fund, feed whatever you're comfortable with each month and play the long game.

Soldato
so i logged into my pension account and my current pension is invested in this below which i have no idea what its about, im sure i can change some or all of what my money is invested in

L&G PMC 2050 - 2055 Target Date Fund 3​

i have options

Last edited:
Soldato
so i logged into my pension account and my current pension is invested in this below which i have no idea what its about, im sure i can change some or all of what my money is invested in

L&G PMC 2050 - 2055 Target Date Fund 3​

i have options

L&G MT Global developed equity or for increased exposure to the US mag 7, L&G HSBC Islamic Global equity.

kpg9pmbl.png

Soldato
ive taken some of that advice and split the investments over all 3 now. will it pay of ? who knows... but they way i see it is i have many many years before i can even reach the money so its nothing i even think about or worry over as i get 7.5% free money from work

Last edited:
Soldato
. but they way i see it is i have many many years before i can even reach the money so its nothing i even think about or worry over
Yep. Assuming the retirement date is between 2050 and 2055.. realistically between now and then we are going to see some severe market downturns but no point worrying.

Soldato
+100% pre market? Nah that's just normal behaviour no?
The guy behind the original Gamestop meme boom from WallStreetBets has resurfaced on Twitter after being silent for years, and is pumping the meme stocks again.

Gamestop, AMC, Blackberry seem to be main ones again.

Soldato
after putting my pension up to 10% , works only matches upto 7.5% , im now looking towards investing a little money each month, you you lot research what you are investing in or just pick companys that are huge or what? whats a dummys guide

i randomly picked a few stocks a year ago put 10k in and 1.6x the money despite one of the stocks going down 65% (i only put 1000 on that one) so that's scientific proof you just need to randomly pick stocks (thats how science works isnt it?) Rolls Royce was the best performer, marstons the worst

I dont know how you make money thought, i cannot sell the stocks that are down or ill lose money, and hte once that are up i cannot sell in case they go up more!

Associate
i randomly picked a few stocks a year ago put 10k in and 1.6x the money despite one of the stocks going down 65% (i only put 1000 on that one) so that's scientific proof you just need to randomly pick stocks (thats how science works isnt it?) Rolls Royce was the best performer, marstons the worst

I dont know how you make money thought, i cannot sell the stocks that are down or ill lose money, and hte once that are up i cannot sell in case they go up more!
I have this same "issue" up 4x on RR back when it was £1, don't want to sell even though I could pay my mortgage off with it...every 1% is another 1.5k! some days it earns more than I make in a month and then drops back, I'm tempted to sell it when its up to 4.30 and then buy back when it drops 10p like it likes to, but knowing my luck it will fly to £5.

Soldato
I have this same "issue" up 4x on RR back when it was £1, don't want to sell even though I could pay my mortgage off with it...every 1% is another 1.5k! some days it earns more than I make in a month and then drops back, I'm tempted to sell it when its up to 4.30 and then buy back when it drops 10p like it likes to, but knowing my luck it will fly to £5.

i know im going to die with 100s of K in stock.. the only money ill see is any dividends

we have 45k in tesco stocks that i think payed 7% dividend last year and 8% this year.. we are up 50 - 75% on those.. (not a inspired well researched purchase - the wife works there and there was a pay for stock scheme she was in for 5 years)

Project the price out to 10 years and see what it "might" be worth, then project how much your mortgage will have cost you over 10 years.. then balance "might be worth" with will 100% save you...

^^^ i dont know if thats good advice i jsut made it up.. personally id be too scared to sell any shares!

edit ** Oh you have to factor in the extra money you could put into stocks as you are not paying your mortgage.. ok its too complicated now...

Last edited:
Associate
i know im going to die with 100s of K in stock.. the only money ill see is any dividends

we have 45k in tesco stocks that i think payed 7% dividend last year and 8% this year.. we are up 50 - 75% on those.. (not a inspired well researched purchase - the wife works there and there was a pay for stock scheme she was in for 5 years)

Project the price out to 10 years and see what it "might" be worth, then project how much your mortgage will have cost you over 10 years.. then balance "might be worth" with will 100% save you...

^^^ i dont know if thats good advice i jsut made it up.. personally id be too scared to sell any shares!

edit ** Oh you have to factor in the extra money you could put into stocks as you are not paying your mortgage.. ok its too complicated now...
I know what you mean, its complicated. if someone asked me would I put over 100k in RR a few years ago, I would have said no, but was happy with the £35k that built up over months and was pretty much constantly growing over the 3 years, now its at an amount that is life changing for me.

I have decided to just take out chunks as needed for big purchases, so my lad is 18 in July so will take out enough to buy him a car for his birthday, still life changing but smaller than smashing it all on the mortgage, which is at 40% LTV so not massive, under £500 a month which reinvested would take many years to get to the figure now in my ISA.

Back
Top Bottom