Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
i know im going to die with 100s of K in stock.. the only money ill see is any dividends

we have 45k in tesco stocks that i think payed 7% dividend last year and 8% this year.. we are up 50 - 75% on those.. (not a inspired well researched purchase - the wife works there and there was a pay for stock scheme she was in for 5 years)

Project the price out to 10 years and see what it "might" be worth, then project how much your mortgage will have cost you over 10 years.. then balance "might be worth" with will 100% save you...

^^^ i dont know if thats good advice i jsut made it up.. personally id be too scared to sell any shares!

edit ** Oh you have to factor in the extra money you could put into stocks as you are not paying your mortgage.. ok its too complicated now...

I know what you mean, its complicated. if someone asked me would I put over 100k in RR a few years ago, I would have said no, but was happy with the £35k that built up over months and was pretty much constantly growing over the 3 years, now its at an amount that is life changing for me.

I have decided to just take out chunks as needed for big purchases, so my lad is 18 in July so will take out enough to buy him a car for his birthday, still life changing but smaller than smashing it all on the mortgage, which is at 40% LTV so not massive, under £500 a month which reinvested would take many years to get to the figure now in my ISA.

I would have a similar issue with my work share plans, but I'm planning to cash in when the Sharesheme matures after 3 year thou I have one maturing every year and cashing in any sharepurchases shares that are tax free at that point at the same time.
Not sure if I'm going to reinvest it into my private stocks and shares ISA or move the cash to invest into a SIPP...

you could use the cash to live off on and the money that you would spend from your salary goes into your pension, as the pension is not including in your estate.

Associate
L&G MT Global developed equity or for increased exposure to the US mag 7, L&G HSBC Islamic Global equity.

kpg9pmbl.png
I'm with L&G for pension. I changed my pension fund last year to L&G HSBC Islamic Global equity fund. Seems to be paying off so far but who knows what the future will bring.

Soldato
Just because I never pay too close attention. Does the price of a share usually drop by the dividend price when it goes ex-div?

I need to sell most of my shares towards my house build and I know my Vodafone shares go ex-div soon. Just curious whether to hold and take the dividend or sell before hand. Assume that the dividend value isn’t critical.

Makes sense they would but curious on the real world effect.

Last edited:
Soldato
so i logged into my pension account and my current pension is invested in this below which i have no idea what its about, im sure i can change some or all of what my money is invested in

L&G PMC 2050 - 2055 Target Date Fund 3​

i have options
hey dude might want to check those screen shots for the info displayed

Caporegime
No idea how we can sell our postal service to a foreigner. :/

Bought a few weeks ago at 272.
Was really surprised the price stayed at 272 if I'm honest.

Loads of chatter about the Czech guy improving his offer.
And/or
The stripping back of "daily delivery".

Either course of action suggested RM was undervalued to me.

Edited. I got in at 272

Last edited:
Soldato
Logged in for the first time in ages to check my portfolio. Pleasantly surprised. Sitting at all time high and peeking at the stock market this morning, everything still relentlessly marching up. I'm so unbelievably tempted to sell half and pay off my mortgage. Have a 15k jump in one day in value, doesn't actually change my life as much as not having a mortgage payment would, regardless of how small it may be.

Anyway, I see GME and AMC is stirring again. Congrats to the newly minted thousandnaires out there. At commiserations at the larger majority that's bagholding again.

Caporegime
On the negative side.. My favourite hold of the last 12 months. (bgeo) has absolutely tanked.

Some sad news going on in Georgia around Russian influence. More important for the people out there. Seems like most of the population want closer EU ties. Makes share price moves seem much less important

Caporegime
Logged in for the first time in ages to check my portfolio. Pleasantly surprised. Sitting at all time high and peeking at the stock market this morning, everything still relentlessly marching up. I'm so unbelievably tempted to sell half and pay off my mortgage. Have a 15k jump in one day in value, doesn't actually change my life as much as not having a mortgage payment would, regardless of how small it may be.

Anyway, I see GME and AMC is stirring again. Congrats to the newly minted thousandnaires out there. At commiserations at the larger majority that's bagholding again.

Funds or individual stocks?

Caporegime
Just funds. I'm only in a Global 100 ETF

Edit.

I lie, I forgot that I also bought into Chipotle a few months ago. Only a few thousand bucks. There's doing a 50-1 split and I feel it may have legs

More times goes on more I move to this too.
If IDS does get bought out I'll put that into an Etf as well.

Aviva I'm still keeping as that's been on a great run recently. And still paying out 7pc on its yearly dividend.
15pc on my original purchase price though.

Soldato
More times goes on more I move to this too.
If IDS does get bought out I'll put that into an Etf as well.

Aviva I'm still keeping as that's been on a great run recently. And still paying out 7pc on its yearly dividend.
15pc on my original purchase price though.
I’m not psychologically cut out for individual shares. I can say this with confidence. I’ve been up 300% on a single share in the space of a week, and still hang out for more. It must be a short circuit in my brain chemistry where something I gain too easily will never be enough.

The ETF returns is now hugely up (it's just always up), I barely look at it, and it never fails to surprise me when I do look at it. With single shares I felt like I had a daily scorecard I needed to keep checking, in case there’s been some action on the stock, and I need to make a decision which way to go.

Soldato
No idea how we can sell our postal service to a foreigner. :/
Agreed, services like this should really be nationalised… it’s amazing how many public services/companies get privatised as they are non profitable only for a private company or person to buy it and make it work. It’s like the government is trying to strip away the countries assets. ;)

Like said, if I was a billionaire.. I would try to buy Royal Mail in a heartbeat.

I remember your post about this. I bought in after the first offer was rejected.

Great… don’t forget my brokers fee ;)

Soldato
I’m not psychologically cut out for individual shares. I can say this with confidence. I’ve been up 300% on a single share in the space of a week, and still hang out for more. It must be a short circuit in my brain chemistry where something I gain too easily will never be enough.

Set a stop limit as soon as you buy the shares at the values you think the companies worth.

I only mess about when buying individual shares and tbh don’t have the capability/capacity to work out values myself, so I look at book valuations, past market values etc and make up a figure to automatically sell the shares at if they go up. The selling when value has dropped is even harder for me, I just hold until I at least break even or can use the lost to offset a profit for tax reasons and I miss out one other possible investments that the money could be in.

Apparently limits should at at least 2:1 profit to lost, risk to reward and if that can’t be done then it’s worth buying into the company.

Soldato
Set a stop limit as soon as you buy the shares at the values you think the companies worth.

I only mess about when buying individual shares and tbh don’t have the capability/capacity to work out values myself, so I look at book valuations, past market values etc and make up a figure to automatically sell the shares at if they go up. The selling when value has dropped is even harder for me, I just hold until I at least break even or can use the lost to offset a profit for tax reasons and I miss out one other possible investments that the money could be in.

Apparently limits should at at least 2:1 profit to lost, risk to reward and if that can’t be done then it’s worth buying into the company.
Yep, that's one way of doing it. And I have done it in the past, then watch as it flies 100%+ past the stop limit I've set. That's too annoying too.

And to be honest, I don't have the time or patience for the diligence. I prefer just to buy the index.

Back
Top Bottom