TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
There is that stupid word again being used incorrectly. Woke is actually a positive thing. At least it was when it started being used back in the 1920s. Only in the past 3+ years has it been used and abused by some to try and make being woke bad..

Soldato
There is that stupid word again being used incorrectly. Woke is actually a positive thing. At least it was when it started being used back in the 1920s. Only in the past 3+ years has it been used and abused by some to try and make being woke bad..
I think it's because the movement (if you can call it that) has been seemingly hijacked by oppressive twitter dwelling types, to try and force change and cancel/shut down anything they don't agree with.

I quite like Ricky Gervais' recent definition of the two types that now exist, seems pretty accurate to me, as we all should be the actual woke; rather than the aforementioned 'activist' type.

Associate
I am not a big follower of politics. Has either main party committed to abolishing the license fee after its current charter expires?

It's quite sickening how the government have slashed funding to local authorities over the last 10 or 15 years. Yet if we want to watch TV we are still forced to pay for a license fee in order to prop up the BBCs balance sheet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not a big follower of politics. Has either main party committed to abolishing the license fee after its current charter expires?
Reform UK say they will in their first 100 days. But they won't win so who cares.
All that matters is what Labour would do, they haven't said, but they've previously talked about: reinstating free licenses for old people, free licenses for benefits scroungers, making 'rich' people pay more.

Caporegime

It's quite sickening how the government have slashed funding to local authorities over the last 10 or 15 years. Yet if we want to watch TV we are still forced to pay for a license fee in order to prop up the BBCs balance sheet.

Either BBC dies or everyone has to pay.
Not looking forward to 200 a year extra bill.

Just can't believe they'd let it die. Unfortunately!

Last edited:
Soldato
It needs to be left to either die or become a fully private business. The BBC in it's current form is obsolete and unpopular.

Reform UK say they will in their first 100 days. But they won't win so who cares.
All that matters is what Labour would do, they haven't said, but they've previously talked about: reinstating free licenses for old people, free licenses for benefits scroungers, making 'rich' people pay more.

They don't have to win to apply pressure. Look what happened with Farage and Brexit. The government completely underestimated it.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought license again because on the 'no don't need a license' form you need to state a date when you'll be in for a visit. I guess I could mess them around on purpose and I still might :)

I'm not anti-bbc, I've just completely changed the way I consume TV over the past 10 years, if they were on youtube i'd be all over it :)

But I hate the way the license fee works, I'm not even sure it's legal. Tax me, Netflix model, whatever, just stop knocking on my door (that hasn't happened).

Last edited:
Caporegime
think you can be traced through electoral register (or the chinese can)

BBC delivers - more woke content, well they are all at it netflix&co with colour casting etc
Our-town BBC1 peaky-blinders writer - 'tick' police were out and out racist in the 80's, Casey would be proud; more Attenborough too, make it stop.

abF0oz1.jpeg

We were getting all the usual threats and bullying nonsense from them when we first moved in, the red envelopes, the "are you in on x date" and all their other idle threats, we've since told them we don't need a TV licence and they've stopped.

Soldato
abF0oz1.jpeg

We were getting all the usual threats and bullying nonsense from them when we first moved in, the red envelopes, the "are you in on x date" and all their other idle threats, we've since told them we don't need a TV licence and they've stopped.

Yea but only for a certain amount of time and then they start sending them again.

Soldato
I bought license again because on the 'no don't need a license' form you need to state a date when you'll be in for a visit. I guess I could mess them around on purpose and I still might :)

I'm not anti-bbc, I've just completely changed the way I consume TV over the past 10 years, if they were on youtube i'd be all over it :)

But I hate the way the license fee works, I'm not even sure it's legal. Tax me, Netflix model, whatever, just stop knocking on my door (that hasn't happened).

just did it a few days ago, does not ask me for any date?

Or are you talking about a paper form or something?

Back
Top Bottom