TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Its a strange model. Or maybe not.

You'd think (like every other service) you pay for access you can sign in. You don't pay. You can't.

With iplayer you simply say "I have a TV licence" but no verification.
Then they chase you if you've put in legit details.
But you don't have to.
Got to remember there's no way to enforce it for live broadcast TV receivers so basically it's parity with that situation. The alternative would be to demand a logon linked to the TV license (involves extra tech effort because TVL and BBC iPlayer logins aren't connected particularly), and then you'd have "Oh but on a live TV antenna feed I can just use it without proving I have a TV license" disparity.

Again it's limited and complicated by being a pretty dated system that doesn't fit in today's business model nor technological space.

Soldato
Again it's limited and complicated by being a pretty dated system that doesn't fit in today's business model nor technological space.
With the increase uptake of IPTV, especially with Freely being around the corner, you would assume the TV-side would get locked down, along with iPlayer and other UK live TV apps, to a households TV Licence Number. Although i imagine people would still find a way to pilfer it as being discussed in this thread.

Caporegime
Tim Davie looks at licence fee..."My preciousssss"

He's like.

"Fuuuuuu

If we have to compete on a level playing field how am I going to pay this pension bill?"

:D

I don't see anything wrong with a charge linked to wealth. (it'll be council tax though). Many things (ie council tax) are already

Last edited:
Caporegime
The mismanagement by the executives at the top at the BBC over the last decade or two is ridiculous.

It was insanely obvious ages ago that broadcast TV would go the way of the Dodo.

Once everyone has access to super fast internet and the current retirement age generation is gone, who is going to watch broadcast TV? It's just irritating in this day age. Why bother checking a schedule and working out recordings etc

In fact for me, broadcast TV already seems massively antiquated.

They have been totally left with their trousers down and I fear there is going to be an increasingly collosal exodus of license fee payers over the coming years which will kill them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The mismanagement by the executives at the top at the BBC over the last decade or two is ridiculous.

It was insanely obvious ages ago that broadcast TV would go the way of the Dodo.

Once everyone has access to super fast internet and the current retirement age generation is gone, who is going to watch broadcast TV? It's just irritating in this day age. Why bother checking a schedule and working out recordings etc

In fact for me, broadcast TV already seems massively antiquated.

They have been totally left with their trousers down and I fear there is going to be an increasingly collosal exodus of license fee payers over the coming years which will kill them.
They've been lax because they were immune and probably expected to be immune to the real world for a while.
Looks like it could be coming sooner than expected.

I still have concerns it's going to be wrapped up in council tax. I just hope not.

Last edited:
Caporegime
do BBC staff and over paid presenters have to buy a license? if they get it for free currently then that would obviously be an untapped source of wealth

Man of Honour
I'm on the edge of cancelling my licence as we rarely watch anything live now. The news is the only thing. If I get charged more for it than some other people because I am in a higher council tax band then I will definitely bin it off, just on principle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on the edge of cancelling my licence as we rarely watch anything live now. The news is the only thing. If I get charged more for it than some other people because I am in a higher council tax band then I will definitely bin it off, just on principle.

I cancelled mine when Price Philip popped his clogs as the coverage just opened my eyes to how effortlessly they'll warp the facts when it suits them. I have no intention of giving them another penny even though I still watch iPlayer regularly.

Associate
Is there any other way to cancel , apart from having to ring up?

There’s an online section, but it appears they want me to ring up and cancel, I find it very bizarre that I have to ring someone up just to cancel something, there’s no other service that you have to ring up to cancel…

Soldato
Is there any other way to cancel , apart from having to ring up?

There’s an online section, but it appears they want me to ring up and cancel, I find it very bizarre that I have to ring someone up just to cancel something, there’s no other service that you have to ring up to cancel…
You don't need to call

Just select moving abroad

Last edited:
Soldato
think you can be traced through electoral register (or the chinese can)

BBC delivers - more woke content, well they are all at it netflix&co with colour casting etc
Our-town BBC1 peaky-blinders writer - 'tick' police were out and out racist in the 80's, Casey would be proud; more Attenborough too, make it stop.

Back
Top Bottom