TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
There's nothing for me to watch on the BBC anymore, everything decent has been ruined, destroyed or gone. Anything I might want to watch I'll just speak to Jack Sparrow. Which is once in a blue moon

Soldato
TV as a whole is garbage, I sit on the sofa eating my toast and turn the tv on...
...bbc1... oh it's someone who's kid died again, bbc breakfast is why everyone has mental health issues...
...bbc2... some boring show...
...itv1... celebrity gossip, and andy peters trying to con me...
...ch4... reruns of some show I saw 25 years ago...
...ch5... kids cartoons, with forced diversity...
...tv off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Either way their methods are quite effective. I work with a lot of international test teams and they struggle with testing iPlayer due to a combination of geoblocking, VPN blocking etc. BBC seem to catch and block any new IP address/provider quite rapidly.

I've been using BBC iPlayer with a VPN in South Africa for over a year now. Zero issues.

Soldato
TV as a whole is garbage, I sit on the sofa eating my toast and turn the tv on...
...bbc1... oh it's someone who's kid died again, bbc breakfast is why everyone has mental health issues...
...bbc2... some boring show...
...itv1... celebrity gossip, and andy peters trying to con me...
...ch4... reruns of some show I saw 25 years ago...
...ch5... kids cartoons, with forced diversity...
...tv off.

Channel 5 has some good doccies though.

Caporegime

Although the overwhelming majority of Britons use BBC services on a weekly basis, the average time they spend with the national broadcaster is falling – and the corporation is struggling to produce content that attracts the younger consumers who are core to its future.

No this is the problem, everyone at the BBC went to the same schools and are from the same class background, they all think young and old have a particularly narcissistic view of the world where their ********* sensitivities need to be represented, the truth is these people are an extreme minority and mentally unwell.
The truth is these people live their identity and can't engage with people who are outside of that identity, they are quite often hostile toward those outside of their identity, this is simple bigotry.

"Young people" like this are not mentally well and racists, trying to represent the 0.00002% of the population who these people are alienates the rest of the population because all normal people see is narcissistic sociopaths. This is why increasingly no one watches the BBC.

This lady is mental.

Last edited:
Associate
Not bought one since 2019 as only watched TV for boxing day horse racing a few times over the previous 7 years to that. Did the no licence needed twice and no hassles. I was meant to do it again January this year but thought, no. I don't need to tell you I don't want your service.

I don't have a TV aerial plugged in, watch live TV or use iPlayer. All I know is they will never get another penny from me and if I get a knock from the dodgy salesmen. Its door in face and not even a no thanks. I believe in manners, but these sales people can just get lost. Enforcement officer makes me laugh :)

Last edited:
Soldato
yes looks like I'm missing out on the scintillating nflix/prime/disney top shows e: https://flixpatrol.com/

and the taylor swift movie on disney - to die for.

Top gun maverick premiered on freeview last weekend (reasonable fun) - think what I saved with a tv license , versus cinema tickets, or streaming services.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gf has derped.

She's been using iplayer with her details.

Now I'm not sure if the letter we got is legit or just scare tactics.

It has her name, our address and has said "you've been watching iplayer a few times in the last month.. You need to pay or else".

I asked her. And she said she has.. But it was months ago. :(

I'm not sure the letter is legit... Ie they have evidence. . Or it's just another scare tactic letter.

Anyone else had anything like this?

She's planning to pay and then get a refund. I'm certainly not sharing the cost lol.
Told her it might just be scare tactics. But it's the first one that has had teeth imo.

So you can sign up to watch iPlayer with no verification of licence and watch BBC content, which you need to pay for separately? And there are no checks that you are entitled to do so? And they then fine you after the fact? It would be outrageous if a private company did that.

Soldato
So you can sign up to watch iPlayer with no verification of licence and watch BBC content, which you need to pay for separately? And there are no checks that you are entitled to do so? And they then fine you after the fact? It would be outrageous if a private company did that.
iPlayer asks you every time if you have a licence click to continue
They aren't fining you, they are telling you "to watch this you need a licence" and then sending you the bill, the same way many businesses provide a service first and then invoice you

Soldato
iPlayer asks you every time if you have a licence click to continue
They aren't fining you, they are telling you "to watch this you need a licence" and then sending you the bill, the same way many businesses provide a service first and then invoice you

Foolish on the GF, but iPlayer needs to have a better pre-verification then a check box. It is asking for people to to be ignorant. It's not asking much for them to add a sign up check of putting in a licence number or something similar. Alternatively, if you want to beat this check, just put next door's name and address in.

Associate
Plenty of news chatter this morning about potentially being ad supported overseas, although I'm sure this isn't a new discussion. Is there any downside for UK residents with this?

Presumably however they're making some £££ overseas it would benefit back home one way or another?

Soldato
Plenty of news chatter this morning about potentially being ad supported overseas, although I'm sure this isn't a new discussion. Is there any downside for UK residents with this?

Presumably however they're making some £££ overseas it would benefit back home one way or another?
The BBC does act as a commercial business selling its content to other territories. Just not here.

Soldato
The BBC does act as a commercial business selling its content to other territories. Just not here.
The BBC has had a commercial arm (BBC Worldwide, now BBC Studios i believe) for oversea markets and exporting services/programming for a long time.

I've been using BBC iPlayer with a VPN in South Africa for over a year now. Zero issues.
How do you pay for the TV license being in SA?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Foolish on the GF, but iPlayer needs to have a better pre-verification then a check box. It is asking for people to to be ignorant. It's not asking much for them to add a sign up check of putting in a licence number or something similar. Alternatively, if you want to beat this check, just put next door's name and address in.

Its a strange model. Or maybe not.

You'd think (like every other service) you pay for access you can sign in. You don't pay. You can't.

With iplayer you simply say "I have a TV licence" but no verification.
Then they chase you if you've put in legit details.
But you don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom