UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread R16 ** spoilers ** [5th - 14th March 2024]

Associate
Well, Ajax where rotten beyond belief. Gave us everything in their own half but we looked dominant from the off. Needed that after Sunday.

Watkins going off scares the life out of me but Duran looked super strong. Fingers crossed he doesn't have to carry us all the way in.

Edit: Emery says it's just a cut for Watkins and should hopefully be good for Sunday

Last edited:
Don
That's a nice CL draw from a Liverpool perspective. Both Arsenal and City with tough draws and then would have to face each other if they progress. You'd fancy whoever comes through that side of the draw to be big favourites in the final - none of Barca, Atletico, PSG or Dortmund are particularly good.

Associate

Quarter-final draw​

• Arsenal vs Bayern Munich
  • Atletico Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund
  • Real Madrid vs Man City
  • PSG vs Barcelona

Semi-final draw​

• Atletico Madrid/Borussia Dortmund vs PSG/Barcelona
  • Arsenal/Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid/Man City

Man of Honour
OP
First time back in the CL for ages so happy to get some proper big ties. Hope Real beat City, not a big fan of seeing teams from the same country playing each other.

Would love an Arsenal v Barca final, theres some old wounds that need healing there.

Caporegime
That's a nice CL draw from a Liverpool perspective. Both Arsenal and City with tough draws and then would have to face each other if they progress. You'd fancy whoever comes through that side of the draw to be big favourites in the final - none of Barca, Atletico, PSG or Dortmund are particularly good.
I really dont care about the Liverpool perspective. City will win the league again anyway. We haven’t got the depth of squad and you can’t keep your players fit. Nothing about this draw really means anything for Liverpool. It’s not as if you’re not in Europe too.

Don
I really dont care about the Liverpool perspective. City will win the league again anyway. We haven’t got the depth of squad and you can’t keep your players fit. Nothing about this draw really means anything for Liverpool. It’s not as if you’re not in Europe too.
Waving the white flag already Robert? I didn't know you were French. Where's that Bulldog spirit?

The fact that City (and Arsenal) will have the hardest possible way to the final will impact the sides they field in League games making it more likely that they'll drop points.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Reckon the semi-finals will be

Arsenal/Bayern vs AM
Man City vs PSG

Then Arsenal/Bayern vs Man City Final. I hate seeing finals with teams from the same country so I'm sorry Arsenal fans, I would have to root for Bayern to be there if City were to be in the final.

Man of Honour
Its about the difficulty (plus the all English factor), for City or Arsenal to beat the likes of Real/Each Other, they're going to have to play their best teams, no chance for rests, plus the added City v Arsenal effect given that they are in a title race with each other too. For Liverpool, its lesser teams than the likes of the above, meaning Liverpool should be afforded the opportunity for rests

Don
You playing your reserves then?
Depends who we play and how the first leg of any tie goes but as we saw with the last game, if we end up with a 4 goal cushion from a first leg (which is more possible than Arsenal or City having) then yes. But whatever way the draw goes, we'll have more leeway of using squad players because of the quality of sides we're likely to face.

Soldato
Its about the difficulty (plus the all English factor), for City or Arsenal to beat the likes of Real/Each Other, they're going to have to play their best teams, no chance for rests, plus the added City v Arsenal effect given that they are in a title race with each other too. For Liverpool, its lesser teams than the likes of the above, meaning Liverpool should be afforded the opportunity for rests
Makes no diff imo

Regardless of who city and arsenal drew they would field full strength squads!

Back
Top Bottom