Undervolting i9 14900k Asus rog strix z790-f WiFi 2

Associate
Hello everybody.

I am kind of new to overclocking, I would like to ask some help.
Checked one forum here

With the above settings games crash nearly immediately after launch, sometimes even bsod or freeze and need to reboot with power button

specs:
z790-f gaming motherboard wifi2
64 GB ddr5 Corsair vengeance (2*32 A1b1)
Rog strix Rtx 4070ti
Corsair 650w fully modular gold psu

please help, I would like to achieve lower temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
First thing that rings alarm bells is your psu, 650w with a 4070 and 14900k under load will be very close power wise, most if not all 14900k's run very very warm at stock, the cpu can pull upward of 300w+, thats why they run super warm. You can set a 253w cpu limit that will drop temps a bit and power wise your psu may be ok, being on amd i'm not familiar with intel settings but try a power limit of 253w and see what happens.

Another tick is to set a manual ratio of the cpu, from what other have said reducing to x54 seems to stop crashing and reduces temps of the cpu.

Soldato
Have you tested the system on default bios settings to make sure its not something you have done causing the crashing?

What are you using to cool the CPU, Air or AIO? whats the brand of it etc

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you tested the system on default bios settings to make sure its not something you have done causing the crashing?

What are you using to cool the CPU, Air or AIO? whats the brand of it etc
So I did test on default. It runs fine and no performance issues to be fair, however in 3dmark time spy can heat the CPU over 100c . I have air-cooler noctua nh-d15 swapped factory fans for noctua 3000 rpm industrial fans X3 on CPU heatsink and have 3 intake on the front and 2 exhaust top and 1 exhaust at back. All noctua industrial 3k rpm the case is a fractal pop air XL. I just would like to try undervolting for lower temps, but whatever guide I follow I get instabil system.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Associate
OP
First thing that rings alarm bells is your psu, 650w with a 4070 and 14900k under load will be very close power wise, most if not all 14900k's run very very warm at stock, the cpu can pull upward of 300w+, thats why they run super warm. You can set a 253w cpu limit that will drop temps a bit and power wise your psu may be ok, being on amd i'm not familiar with intel settings but try a power limit of 253w and see what happens.

Another tick is to set a manual ratio of the cpu, from what other have said reducing to x54 seems to stop crashing and reduces temps of the cpu.
Thank you, yes I ha e thought that I would need at least 850w platinum psu. Will try this settings once I am back home and updated.

Associate
OP
You might like to watch this:
Thanks a lot helped with temps in 3dmark. What I am wondering is, I am using coretemp and hw monitor and real temp. Simultaneously. They all show different maximum CPU packet temp.. is this because I am using them the same time ? Which of this is the most "trustworthy" in 3d mark timespy average CPU temp is 65-67 with the new settings which is great in my opinion. As my highest core was around 25k something but had 88c as average CPU temp. Now I am scoring around 20k something but as I said 65-68c average temp. And max temp during time spy was 82c . However other monitoring softwares still shows 90c +

Later will try upload pictures and link my 3dmark results

Any idea why these softwares show different temps?

Thank you.

Associate
OP

Setting this to 253 did help. Also wondering what should I set the amperage ? I put it to 360 now as in the video but that CPU is 13900k

Soldato
Setting this to 253 did help. Also wondering what should I set the amperage ? I put it to 360 now as in the video but that CPU is 13900k

Jayz2cents has a handy video you should watch about 14th gen, you may be able to copy some of his settings or get a general idea what the amperage should be set too.

Tetras's post above has the jayz video

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Jayz2cents has a handy video you should watch about 14th gen, you may be able to copy some of his settings or get a general idea what the amperage should be set too.
Thank you, have not found the video yet but keep looking. Also found other videos where he said basically it is not a lot difference between 13900k and 14900k so could do similar settings. HW monitor, core temp and real temp shows 3 different numbers. Not sure which one is most reliable. So since I am using 3dmark I check temps there. Basically I found out on an other forum that it should be 307a apparently for 13900/14900 and setting this additionally reduced average temps. So I guess I will always reach 90+ but not for long period. As averages on stress test are getting better. My last one was 59 celsius

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/109178644 - This is now the final result. However thinking to check it with aida64 for 20 mins and then play something to see if it will actually work.

Here are pictures of bios settings:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/43942130 - My best 3dmark score - lot higher score however cpu temp average is 88 and it went over 100 multiple times during the test(not sure if you can see that here)

I rather have a bit lower performance but cool temps

Just wondering if everything is ok with my cooling I was expecting bit better results from nh-d15 with industrial fans.

Once I have done the aida64 stress test will update again.

EDIT:

This is idle temps just cleared min/max waited 5 mins.

EDIT 2:

Here are results of 20 minutes aida 64 0% thermal throttling with 2 cores reaching 6000mhz

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you, have not found the video yet but keep looking. Also found other videos where he said basically it is not a lot difference between 13900k and 14900k so could do similar settings. HW monitor, core temp and real temp shows 3 different numbers. Not sure which one is most reliable. So since I am using 3dmark I check temps there. Basically I found out on an other forum that it should be 307a apparently for 13900/14900 and setting this additionally reduced average temps. So I guess I will always reach 90+ but not for long period. As averages on stress test are getting better. My last one was 59 celsius

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/109178644 - This is now the final result. However thinking to check it with aida64 for 20 mins and then play something to see if it will actually work.

Here are pictures of bios settings:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/43942130 - My best 3dmark score - lot higher score however cpu temp average is 88 and it went over 100 multiple times during the test(not sure if you can see that here)

I rather have a bit lower performance but cool temps

Just wondering if everything is ok with my cooling I was expecting bit better results from nh-d15 with industrial fans.

Once I have done the aida64 stress test will update again.

EDIT:

This is idle temps just cleared min/max waited 5 mins.

I'll have a good look when I get back from work later saw your idle temps quick for a aircooler 40c ain't bad tbh

Soldato
Load temps in the screenshots don't seem that bad until you see those noctuas running almost max, that's gotta be very loud, have you tried dialling in a x54 multiplier.

I'll check jayz video and report back with suitable voltages to run at 5.4ghz, in games you'll see minimal performance drop. Unless someone here suggests a voltage to try in the mean time.

Try a manual CPU voltage of 1.35v and set the multiplier x54 and see what happens.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
it will not hurt to remount the cooler. With the volatges set to auto when running Aida 64 see what the vcore is reading when under load in hwmonitor
I am not really sure where to set voltages to auto? I have remounted the fan before, even re apply thermal paste.( using thermal grizzly) So basically I got this build on around 18th of december and I have assumed that I have done something wrong, but It is firmly screwed and fans seems to be spinning to the right direction. However will have a look after work just to make sure.

Associate
OP
Load temps in the screenshots don't seem that bad until you see those noctuas running almost max, that's gotta be very loud, have you tried dialling in a x54 multiplier.

I'll check jayz video and report back with suitable voltages to run at 5.4ghz, in games you'll see minimal performance drop. Unless someone here suggests a voltage to try in the mean time.

Try a manual CPU voltage of 1.35v and set the multiplier x54 and see what happens.
Thank you. Yes that video would be good to have. Could you point out which setting did you mean by CPU Voltage? There are so many things have cpu and voltage in name or similar I am very unconfident with it. And setting multiplier for x54? I assume it is something to do with these settings https://imgbb.com/qNLRyg4 ?

EDIT:
To be fair, the noise is not that bad as you would expect. I am not saying it cannot be :DD but lets be realistic nearly nothing really makes this cpu run on 100% for long period of time, so I never really get to those scarry rpms in real life scenarios. It is just under stress test when it goes 100% for that long. And yes, that is loud :D
And this would lead me to an other question. Since having so many cores, do I really need auto or synch all cores settings on? Is it not holding back the "better" cores? those that can actually hit higher ghz?

Last edited:
Associate
I am not really sure where to set voltages to auto? I have remounted the fan before, even re apply thermal paste.( using thermal grizzly) So basically I got this build on around 18th of december and I have assumed that I have done something wrong, but It is firmly screwed and fans seems to be spinning to the right direction. However will have a look after work just to make sure.

Sound like the cooler may be ok then. The easiest way to get everything to auto is to load optimized defaults from the exit menu in the bios. I'm happy to help you go through this step by step if you want to drop me a message

Back
Top Bottom