• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Associate

Epic also stated that 5.4 needs far fewer shader precompilations, which means maybe..... maybe..... Stuttergate can be laid to rest.
We had that in Linux for a long time, just due to how Proton works with DXVK, shaders are compiled before the game even starts.

Not every game runs better under Linux in raw FPS numbers. The major difference that is noticeable is latency and how good it feels to play games rather which comes from just far less OS bloat and that shader precompilation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still doable with relative ease for something like 4080 and below. Even 4090 if you had the PSU. :)

Maybe, but you'd need to water-cool the cards. With how big coolers have gotten taking up 3+ slots, and blower cards being near non existent, putting in a pair of 3 axial fan cooled cards would have them too tight together for any real airflow. 1 card would be throttling big time. Even FE cards would throttle due to them only partially exhausting hot air, most of the air flows through the cooler into the case. Plus they're so bulky they'd be sandwiched tight together.

Triple fan cards are best used singularly anyway, otherwise you get so much recycled hot air circulating in the case that they throttle anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
The way it worked it was doubling the performance of your slowest GPU.
I tried it with 980ti and RX 480 and while it worked it was giving me marginally better performance than 980ti on its own.
8800G would have to be paired with really really slow graphics card to make sense.

So 2x 7800xt would give 4090 performance for less money...

Soldato
No man, my 4090 runs about 42/43c thanks :p

I do limit it to 75% PL though :D

The power used is still high which, if my physics memories are right, is transformed into heat... So the card is cooler, but the heat dumped into the room is still the same.

Epic also stated that 5.4 needs far fewer shader precompilations, which means maybe..... maybe..... Stuttergate can be laid to rest.

Man, that presentation looked great! Finally, some truly next gen games!

Maybe, but you'd need to water-cool the cards. With how big coolers have gotten taking up 3+ slots, and blower cards being near non existent, putting in a pair of 3 axial fan cooled cards would have them too tight together for any real airflow. 1 card would be throttling big time. Even FE cards would throttle due to them only partially exhausting hot air, most of the air flows through the cooler into the case. Plus they're so bulky they'd be sandwiched tight together.

Triple fan cards are best used singularly anyway, otherwise you get so much recycled hot air circulating in the case that they throttle anyway.

Yup, some will require water cooling, others will be better designed to begin with. Honestly, the cooler from my 4080 seems really over engineered, so it would have been just decent like a 2 slot cooler. Not to mention lower end cards, such as x70 and x60 searies...

Soldato
It's PC gaming, it's always been the same. I fail to see your point.
Considering the increase in power consumption for the new cards, there isn't that much of a difference for an enthusiast pushing its system, running 2 cards back then vs 1 now - especially if you push the card, too.

By default 2x Sapphire trix r290x were around 506w vs 477w with 4090 maxed out in CB77. Then some extra power from the CPU with newer ones being hungrier and is quite even out (give or take). I know that you run your card power limited, but you could do that in a multi GPU system as well.

power_peak.gif

power_plus_rt.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering the increase in power consumption for the new cards, there isn't that much of a difference for an enthusiast pushing its system, running 2 cards back then vs 1 now - especially if you push the card, too.

By default 2x Sapphire trix r290x were around 506w vs 477w with 4090 maxed out in CB77. Then some extra power from the CPU with newer ones being hungrier and is quite even out (give or take). I know that you run your card power limited, but you could do that in a multi GPU system as well.

power_peak.gif

power_plus_rt.png

I remember my system used to draw about 850 watts under load with my SLI 8800gtx when overclocked with whatever cpu i had at the time (Can't remember for sure but it may of been an intel i7-2600k)

Edit : Picture i had dated 2011

3mycTWe.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
And both run lovely and cool thank ye ;)

image.png

I limit the 4090 24/7 to 72% PL and run the cpu stock bar some ram tuning, no point at 4k :)

edit - Ok ignore me that might be the XTX w/Chill :D But it's similar, 90 runs 40-45c usually frame capped.

Why buy a 4090 if you're going to just limit it to 72% ?
Surely you been far better off to of saved the cash and just bought a 4070ti or 4080

Last edited:
Associate
Why buy a 4090 if you're going to just limit it to 72% ?
Surely you been far better off to of saved the cash and just bought a 4070ti or 4080
4090 barely loses around 5% perf until you go lower than 70% PL ( in games ). so in other words, almost same perf for way lower temps/power. And still way ahead of a 4080.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom