Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
Everyone with an OLED deck - you really should get Ori and the Will of the Wisps (on sale on Steam at the mo too!)

It's the best example by far of the HDR capabilities of the OLED screen and it really is superb. It puts my main PC gaming OLED HDR monitor to shame - Gigabyte FO48U, which has an LG C1 panel with quite a modest peak brightness compared to the decks 1000 nits!

No one seems to care or talk much about the HDR aspect of the OLED deck, and I have no idea why. It was one of the main draws for me. Top tip I recently learnt though is don't set the screen brightness over 75% if using HDR on the OLED deck. Apparently it does some weird 'boost'/ tonemapping routine that means you can lose details in the highlights. I've noticed on the recent OS preview builds the brightness slider actually has a mark at around the 75% area to help with this setting....

Last edited:
Associate
I saw it mentioned on reddit that the OLED now has CPU/GPU overclocking in the BIOS (assuming the non main channel)

Could be interesting with an undervolt, doesn't give you RAM over clocking though and regardless of overclock the deck is still limited to 15W

Last edited:
Caporegime
I saw it mentioned on reddit that the OLED now has CPU/GPU overclocking in the BIOS (assuming the non main channel)

Could be interesting with an undervolt, doesn't give you RAM over clocking though and regardless of overclock the deck is still limited to 15W

It'd be interesting if they let you underclock the CPU

For the Deck I set a hard 30 FPS cap, but if I could clock the GPU up and sacrifice the CPU I imagine something like Star field might actually become playable

Soldato
sweet thats dads one cloned and installed with the 2tb version of my drive, his deck was a older revision with the silver heat plate and the wee bit foil with a screw under it.

he forgot his sudo password but luckily the konsole just let me set a new one with out asking for the old one first lol

Soldato
My mate at work just upgraded to an OLED so i bought his old one from him with a 512Gb drive nice and cheap. Got it all installed at lunchtime and have recently bought a few cheapy games to play. I will also take my unused 512Gb SD Card from my switch to use on it.

I got the following:

Days Gone (Played and completed many times on PS4/PS5/PC but still love the game) - £7.50
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY - £1.99
Batman Arkham City GOTY - £1.99
Batman Arkham Knight - £2.19 + 79p for the DLC
The Evil Within - £1.99
The Evil Within 2 - £3.99

I was also tempted with GOW for £15 but resisted.

I also love emulation so will also be installing Emudeck when i get chance.

So far nice bit of kit.

Associate
Finally got round to installing Cyberpunk and amazed how well this runs. 40FPS on battery, running from an SD card. Mental.

It's come such a long way. I tried Cyberpunk on the OG Steamdeck shortly after launch and the performance was so patchy. It was just about playable, but not enjoyable.

Now, especially with the OLED deck, the performance is amazing. Smooth, reliable and with good fps.

Soldato
Ahh I so badly want to upgrade to OLED - Everytime I hear about it :D

I heard that Cyberpunk was a little worse since the expansion patch

Associate
Replacement deck arrived yesterday. Dispatched from the Netherlands on Friday, so I wasn't expecting it until the end of the week!
I've not yet given it a thorough play. Maybe an hour and a half of re4 with no crashes which is better than before.

Caporegime
Not sure if I'm being really thick. Any shooter I try to play I find the right trackpad has this "snap to grid" effect and I can't find the setting to make it smooth like a touch pad.

My Google-fu is weak. Is this normal behaviour? I can't hit anything far away because of it.

Edit - changed from act as joystick to act as mouse and it seems better.

Last edited:
Associate
Steam has its own flag for if something is playable, but protondb is a good place to look too.

Bear in mind it's limitations, graphically intense games can struggle, some games are better played on KB&M

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Steam has its own flag for if something is playable, but protondb is a good place to look too.

Bear in mind it's limitations, graphically intense games can struggle, some games are better played on KB&M

Also, don’t be put off if the game says Unsupported. I’ve played loads of unsupported games and they’ve worked just fine.

In fact I don’t think I’ve come across a game yet that I own that hasn’t worked.

Associate
Also, don’t be put off if the game says Unsupported. I’ve played loads of unsupported games and they’ve worked just fine.

In fact I don’t think I’ve come across a game yet that I own that hasn’t worked.
Absolutely, usually it's 3rd party launchers or older game without decent controller support that fail. Everything else will usually play at least to some extent!

Back
Top Bottom