Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
Wow..

Sorry just thinking how you can play Civ 6 on a mobile!

I need a full desk, mouse, big screen and coffee machine next to me for Civ sessions :p

First game I played on my deck was civ 6 :D

It's actually perfect for it - when you have 5 mins, turn it on, play a couple of turns, turn off

Not sure how well it would work on pure touchscreen, but if you had a controller for the phone then I can imagine it would work pretty well

Soldato
First game I played on my deck was civ 6 :D

It's actually perfect for it - when you have 5 mins, turn it on, play a couple of turns, turn off

Not sure how well it would work on pure touchscreen, but if you had a controller for the phone then I can imagine it would work pretty well
Maybe you are right...

Thinking about it my lad was playing Civ 6 on the Swicth when we were stuck in a caravan when it was raining.

Surprised the Switch could even run it tbh.

Anyways a tad off topic :p

Associate
Has anyone tried installing windows 10/11 as a dual boot option. I'm quite tempted by it buts it's recommended to put it on the ssd not the microsd. Have a 1tb installed so would consider moving up to 2tb @Guest2 don't laugh!
Would love to hear somebodies experiences with it.

Soldato
Maybe you are right...

Thinking about it my lad was playing Civ 6 on the Swicth when we were stuck in a caravan when it was raining.

Surprised the Switch could even run it tbh.

Anyways a tad off topic :p
UI is actually half decent made for touch, I was more annoyed it's just the base game without all the exp's, and mid&late game the framerate dropped a bit. No need for a controller touch worked fine.

But I've finished a few games on it, turn based games are perfect.

TBH I have so many hours in civ on PC, I probably played civ faster on my phone than the average person did on his PC :p. On a pc I usually finished ''quick'' game speed games within 4-6 hrs (start to victory, on emperor or deity level).

But online only, so so annoying that you can't play it on a plane, unless u pay for ripoff wifi (if available at all) or the marine GPRS/internet thing you get on your phone in international waters.

Last edited:
Soldato
A big reason for me for a Steam deck is actually to give a different OS a decent go than Windows, Windows has moved in a direction I do not like since windows 10 ( I usually run LTSC/LTSB builds on my laptops) and I refuse to use the **** called Windows 11.

As I understood Steam Deck can emulate DirectX... Which is pretty much the only reason I use windows (running DirectX and win32 applications). Metro/store aps are rubbish imho and will always stay rubbish. I very actively use big picture already because I use Steam link to my TV's almost daily.

I would love to move away from Windows someday... But old application compatibility or emulation is a must for me. I sitll play games from the late 90's or beginning 2000's no problem on Windows. DOSbox is usually evolved enough for any pre win 95 stuff as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love to move away from Windows someday... But old application compatibility or emulation is a must for me. I sitll play games from the late 90's or beginning 2000's no problem on Windows. DOSbox is usually evolved enough for any pre win 95 stuff as well.
Virtualisation is very mature these days and has been for some time. Unless your old apps have esoteric requirements, you’ll likely be happy with Linux and a Windows VM for the odd app/ game

Soldato
I was actually surprised how slow the gpu in the Steam Deck is, even my ancient work laptop with gtx1650 is much more powerful.

I guess playing at lower resolution has its big performance advantages.
One thing I hope it can handle is at least 2x msaa, I don't mind lower resolution but I hate jaggies.

Last edited:
I was actually surprised how slow the gpu in the Steam Deck is, even my ancient work laptop with gtx1650 is much more powerful.

I guess playing at lower resolution has its big performance advantages.
One thing I hope it can handle is at least 2x msaa, I don't mind lower resolution but I hate jaggies.

I never use AA on the Deck, just isn't an issue for me at that screen size, PC though I have to have 4xx as a minimum.

Soldato
I never use AA on the Deck, just isn't an issue for me at that screen size, PC though I have to have 4xx as a minimum.
The lower the res the more AA becomes absolutely essential imho.

at 4k fxaa or otehr post processing AA is usually good enough.
at 720p I prefer 8xmsaa, but I could live with 2x aa. No multisampling makes me want to stab my eyes out :p. I prefer crappy textures and no shadows to jaggered models. Regardless of screen size, smoothed models are a must imho.

I must admit, I've not played on a Deck yet, would love to try before buying.
I am probably going on a long holiday (8 weeks) early next year, will buy a deck before then I'm trying to postpone it to at leats the xmas or perhaps summer sale.

Last edited:
Associate
The lower the res the more AA becomes absolutely essential imho.

at 4k fxaa or otehr post processing AA is usually good enough.
at 720p I prefer 8xmsaa, but I could live with 2x aa. No multisampling makes me want to stab my eyes out :p. I prefer crappy textures and no shadows to jaggered models. Regardless of screen size, smoothed models are a must imho.

I must admit, I've not played on a Deck yet, would love to try before buying.
I am probably going on a long holiday (8 weeks) early next year, will buy a deck before then I'm trying to postpone it to at leats the xmas or perhaps summer sale.
Yes its the screensize and resolution mix that makes AA less important as its still quite dense in terms of PPI compared to lots of monitors/TVs. Granted its held closer to the user usually too.

Soldato
A good rule is to make youself a rule to not buy a new game until at least finishing another, bar 1 exception per month or 2 month or so.

It's the reason I refuse to buy Baldurs Gate 3, Elden Ring and other, especially with expensive games I wait. I still have 1 DLC of the witcher to finish and Cyberpunk to finish :).
Same with LAst of us or Uncharted, I first must finish Horizon Zero dawn.

Associate
A good rule is to make youself a rule to not buy a new game until at least finishing another, bar 1 exception per month or 2 month or so.

It's the reason I refuse to buy Baldurs Gate 3, Elden Ring and other, especially with expensive games I wait. I still have 1 DLC of the witcher to finish and Cyberpunk to finish :).
Same with LAst of us or Uncharted, I first must finish Horizon Zero dawn.
But what if they are on a really good offer/bundle,, Or if its for charity, surely thats ok. :D

Back
Top Bottom