Valve announces the SteamDeck

Associate
Oh I have that rule too, but I ignore it most of the time, so I guess it's more of an advisory note.

Mad Max, Sprawl & DeadIsland Riptide are my new games, so what am I doing? That's right, I'm playing Fallout 4 again..

Soldato
I once checked how much money I spent on games in a year, I was a bit shocked and since then I try to spend my money more wisely.

Games will always get cheaper still, well perhaps except Blizzard rubbish, Warcraft 3 and TFT never got cheaper from a certain moment iirc, but you get my idea. I try to postpone expenses like that as games are not an asset but a liability, as is the hardware to play them.

Yes there are exceptions, I sold my Gameboy Color recently for more than I bought it 2nd hand decades ago even though it was in terrible shape ( I loved chewing on stuff as a kid). But generally speaking, on pc, stuff gets cheaper...

With over 700 games on steam and 300 more on Epic, GoG, etc, it's time to stop buying unnecessarily, I have so many good games unplayed and I try to buy proper assets instead to appreciate in value.

I made it a rule to never buy a single expensive game for over 30 ish euro's as well, I think me median game expenditure per game is less than 5 or 10 euros these days, and I only have 4 exceptions:

1: Games for having fun with friends/colleagues IRL: LAN party's, split screen etc...
2: Civilization series
3: GTA series.
4: An amazing city builder (e.g. Cities Skylines, Sim city 4, etc)

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have picked up some bullet hell type games I would not have if not for my steam deck. But from having a cleared or almost cleared backlog on steam a couple of years ago, it has slowly built up again and I don't even buy wolly nilly no more.

Good news is there is at most a handful of games I will buy this year, so hopefully can work through my backlog slowly. Hard though with a game like BG3 which is huge and will take me many months alone to complete at the rate I play.

Associate
Just completed Dead Space 2 on the deck, flawless at ultra 60fps and still looks great. Heard bad things about 3, so will give it a miss. Mass Effect or maybe Alien Isolation next.

Great to just pick up and play, actually got me completing games again.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Think I've finally given up on using heroic, it was fine for ages but now any game I install has issues from gog or epic and I just can't be arsed to faff about with it :(

Soldato
I have picked up some bullet hell type games I would not have if not for my steam deck. But from having a cleared or almost cleared backlog on steam a couple of years ago, it has slowly built up again and I don't even buy wolly nilly no more.

Good news is there is at most a handful of games I will buy this year, so hopefully can work through my backlog slowly. Hard though with a game like BG3 which is huge and will take me many months alone to complete at the rate I play.

Didn't realise it had hit that £35 price point you said you were waiting for.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good car charger for these?
My current car charger will do 35W but it's not quite enough for the Steam Deck when running full tilt, and the famous rainforest is a bit of a minefield with hundreds of the damn things. Would like to get one that just works, can keep the device fully charged even when under full load etc.

Soldato
How about a 12v to 240v inverter and plug in a powerful enough wall charger. A cursory google on Amazon suggests a 120W one can be had for 40 quid.

Edit: Or a slightly less cursory google shows a 200W one for 30 quid, which has two 3 pin sockets too.

Edit2: You know what, I may have just talked myself into getting one of these myself anyway, they just look so useful to have in your car.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually have an old Belkin inverter, but they tend to get bulky rather fast and I was hoping for something a bit more compact, once you go above 100-150w they usually expect direct wiring to the battery which is a no go (I used to have several of them), and they have a tendency to early death.

Some devices do not play that nicely with them either due to the ac/dc conversion, hence looking for recommendations on models/manufacturers.

With the new improvements in GAN tech for chargers I was hoping to find something smaller and all around more efficient, that would hopefully have a decent lifespan. :)

Curious what brand/model you were looking at though!

Last edited:
Soldato
a 12v port on the car is usually 120w or 180w max (it sometimes says) because of the 10-15A circuit breakers and the cables being not thick enough for higher loads. Converting 12v DC to 220v AC to 5v-20v DC for PD3.0 seems highly inefficient, not to mention the waste of space, inverters are not small (if they have any meaningful/usable power rating), they are cumbersome pieces of ****...

Can't you get any decent 12v to PD car charger with 45 or 65W PD 3.0 from a semi reputable Chinese brand: Anker, Aukey, Ugreen, Bitzwolf, etc... ?

EDIT:
e.g.

Aukey Expedition 45W PD Car Charger USB-C​

Costs 17 euros which is 15 quid I think.

Remember you need a usb C cable suitable for this as well! Usually a USB C cable rated for 100W (5A at 20v with pd 3.0) should be good enough.
All you need is a charger that genuinely provides 45w with pd3.0 for the Steam Deck.

But anyhow, just buy from a well known brand that actually delivers what it specs...

(USB) chargers are a bit of a **** world, you have the 5V up to 2.4A chargers (the cheaper ones are lucky to do 1A), you have all phone brands ******* about with their own retarded ''fast'' charging protocols E.g. Oneplus, Huawei, Xiaomi (but luckily most accept either QC of PD as well), and then there's both Power Delivery 1.0 through 3.0 and Qualcomm Quickcharge 1 through 3 or even 4. Of course Wireless there's QI as well...

And yeah, many cheap chinese (no name brand) chargers promise PD 3.0 of QC but don't actually support either quick charge protocols or anywhere near their specced wattage, oddly Amazon sells a lot of these as well, I've seen the exact same chargers on Amazon for 20-40 which are litterally 2-3 euros delivered from Aliexpress, but that is to cheap. A general rule is try to find the same things on Ali you see on Amazon (you can use the image search in the app, it works really well). If the price premium is over 200% on amazon then you're just buying dropshipped rubbish. If the prices are similar (amazon a fiver more or so) and realistic for what you het ( e.g. 45w PD 3.0) it should be fine. But you can also google which brands can be relied on for at least their specs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ended up going for a "Rocoren USB C Car Charger 165W, PD3.1 140W QC5.0 PPS 3-Ports"

Yes a Chinese brand, but went for it off the back of positive reviews, and supposed support for up to 140w off the top socket, as it'll help me power other devices when on the move. It's meant to support 15v/3A and PD3.1 so will see.
It's from the rainforest so if it doesn't work or fails very quickly it'll be an easy return.
I'll be able to test output fairly easily using my work laptop, as that'll take power by USB C.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have a recommendation for a Type-C OTG Adapter/Cable for the Steamdeck?

I have a 1Tb NVME drive that i was going to buy a enclosure for but with the Steamdeck only having 1x USB-C i cant use it while its charging. I used to use OTG on previous handhelds/phones with no issue and was wondering if there was similar available that would work over Type-C.

I have seen things like this but not sure if anyone has had any experience:

Thanks.

Soldato
How about a USB-C Hub or you find them too bulky? I have one and it is pretty handy as it has a couple usb ports as well as ethernet and hdmi. Looks like you can pick up a decent looking Anker one for about 20 quid.

Back
Top Bottom