Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I've been gone just over a month and classed as a new customer when I signed up again.

Yeah.

I've just signed up for the 50Mbps broadband only as I've still got 10Months left with BT.

Would have gone full package but can't justify paying £100 + for 2 internets, 2 TV packages and 2 phone lines....

Man of Honour
You'll only get A if you have JAVA installed, most of us don't have it installed because it's not needed in the modern web and only increases a security risk, and there's nothing more tedious than updating JAVA every few weeks when they roll up a patch update.

Associate
Just upgraded to 200Mb gamer, Didn't realise the upgrade was straight away, within 5mins the router rebooted its self and i now have the better upload.

And no throttling woop! :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hmm I might upgrade to gamer then, often I've found traffic management (especially on usenet during peak hours) throttles other machines. So if I start a download, it throttles to 1.5MB/s in the evening, and then affects every other machine as the line gets throttled.

So Gamer package removes this it seems?

Man of Honour
It's not the uploading, it's downloading. NZB gets throttled to 1.5MB/s and chokes the line during peak hours. With traffic management removed, I could download stuff on usenet much faster without having anything choked during peak hours.

I phoned up VM to enquire about a deal and they offered me the Gamer package for £3 extra a month for 6 months, after which I can phone up again to get the latest deal.

They need to send me a Hub V3 though as the V2 apparently doesn't support the gamer package. That's arriving on Tuesday. I hope it has modem only mode...

Soldato
Weird, page doesn't state anything about shaping downloads.

In addition to this, we also apply a temporary speed limit to all peer-to-peer and Newsgroup traffic during peak times to ensure that they do not slow the network down for everyone.

I guess "all traffic" means up + down even though it states twice prior to that that they only shape uploads.

Soldato
Maybe not for standard downloads, but nntp on ports 563 and 443 are being throttled at peak times. It maxes out at 1.5MB/s, soon as late evening comes around it shoots back up to 25MB/s.

You still getting full speeds on other downloads?

Most ISP's throttle p2p networking.

Just use p2p in off peak?

Back
Top Bottom