Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Noticed a VM engineer was doing something at the green cabinet over the road on Friday, since he left I've no internet, TV or phone :rolleyes:
Phoned VM who went through the usual troubleshooting, then arranged an engineer for the earliest appointment - 12 days!?! Seriously VM, 12 days wait for a total outage?

That really is poor.

I'm not sure, but surely for a period that long you should be compensated?

Permabanned
Yeah, compensation, I've had crap internet for a while and got a stonking £8.80...
It really does depend on who you get on the other end of the phone. I got £11.25 for every month I had issues which came to £56.25 in total. What you got is pitiful.

Associate
It really does depend on who you get on the other end of the phone. I got £11.25 for every month I had issues which came to £56.25 in total. What you got is pitiful.

Yep, I recently had a £75 credit added to my account due to the faults on the line.
There's an estimated fix date of the 28th december and i've been told to call back again after that if I still have problems. presumably to be fobbed off again with another date and more comp

Man of Honour
Looks like VM have disconnected my line as the delivery date of the V3 hub is today, the upgrade means a new 12 month contract, and as of midnight I've had no connection.

Hope their activation line is open at 6:30PM tonight when I get home and plug the V3 in...

Soldato
Looks like VM have disconnected my line as the delivery date of the V3 hub is today, the upgrade means a new 12 month contract, and as of midnight I've had no connection.

Hope their activation line is open at 6:30PM tonight when I get home and plug the V3 in...

Automated now, you ring up and put your account number in and it 'sends a signal' leave for 30min then up and running if all good. Mine didn't and I had to ring Tech Support to get them to push a new config file down.

Underboss
Last 3 nights my 200mb down has dropped to 1-2mb down.

Reset the box, still slow - reset the box by logging into the router, still slow - go onto VM and "test the line" leave it 10mins and reset by a full power off and on, back to full speed.

Annoying.

Soldato
Ah that's good then, hope all goes smoothly!

I need a better wireless router and have been thinking of upgrading the BB package to get the SH3, I read the Wifi performance is good. Currently have the SH1 in modem mode with a Netgear WNDR3700. If you give it a test before switching to modem mode let me know how it performs.

I don't have any NZB throttling on port 563. I usually download off peak but when I've downloaded in the evening it's been maxed all the way.

Man of Honour
Hmm I don't really have any wireless issues with either hub or router really as the location of comms is dead centre of the whole house, so even 54G reaches every corner, so not sure if my tests would be valid for your usage scenario?

Anything specific to check? I won't have time to test anything until very late as am off to cinema almost immediately afterwards!

Soldato
probably doesn't help anyone. but my past experience with VM in terms of outage or slow speeds on the line (1-2mbps) is that the problem is capacity. they just have too many people connected in one exchange and they don't like to admit it. Also the problem is chronic, such that VM don't actually upgrade their exchange to enable more capacity.

this is certainly the case in my area which is London as my issue with VM was over a 4 year period and on two separate occasions.

they didn't offer me much either in terms of compensation either. they basically refunded my internet based on a daily rate and still charged me for the line rental/TV package etc. I found them utterly disgusting in terms of services.

Man of Honour
Ok so the whole ordeal took an hour+ of faff and bending over the corner sofa like an absolu6e chav, but I'm here!

The Hub v3 didn't actually arrive yesterday, it came today, and took an hour to download and install its firmware settings :/

I tried out the Wireless on the hub and it connected to my phone at 700Mbps from another room, 866Mbps from the same room as the hub. Maxes out the connection, well, at least seems capable enough within the realms of however fast speedtest.net decides to be during peak hours I guess.

I've switched it to modem only mode as the long range wifi on 5GHz is stronger (400Mbps from across the whole house).

Question, I note that my downstream has 12 active channels, highest noise level is 40.3dBmV, the upstream has 2 channels, both at 47.8dBmV.

I thought the Hub 3 was capable of 24 channels down and 8 channels up?

My max traffic rate is set to:
Down: 230100000
Up: 22000000

Back
Top Bottom