Voter ID comedy

Soldato
With turnout as low as it is these days, wandering into a building 'full' of people is probably unlikely :p
Went to my polling station yesterday. 4 or 5 electoral staff and me. 5/6 people in the building.
I took my driving license, because I have an Irish passport it dawned on me I have no idea if I can use that to vote.

Seems an EU passport is fine.

Soldato
Caporegime
Honestly......

Why are there no ID cards in the UK?

That soldier story just sounds like an emotional clutch at straws yarn.

There are some chronic backwards things still in the UK and USA..

Last edited:
Soldato
Most countries in the world use voter ID for elections. I'm coming around to ID cards generally now.
My French one lives in my wallet even though it’s not mandatory to carry them these days as I don’t yet have a French driving licence (long story) which is the de facto ID item here.

Both Citizen and Resident ID cards are free on issue, but you pay to replace lost ones etc.

Associate
OP
I don't know. I honestly would prefer to have one central ID system for everything. Something similar to what we already do for power of attorney. Where if an organisation needs my identity, I give them one-off access code and they get whatever my most up to date set of details are, which stays up to date if I move, etc.

This whole government-can-track-us fear over such a system assumes that the various government intelligence agencies aren't able to pull this together already, and honestly it sounds trivially easy for them to do so.

So we're only shooting ourselves in the foot.

Back
Top Bottom