• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** VTX3D R9 290 PRE-FLASHED TO R9 290X & VOLTAGE UNLOCKED!! **

Sgarrista
Commissario
I LOVE YOU CLIVE (my dpd driver :))

20131125_125623.jpg

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well, 2 of the vtx cards on their way back to OcUK :) So keep an eye open, they'll be back up for grabs soon I imagine!

Couldnt resist taking a picture first, however. Never even got to plug them in :(

DSCN2429.jpg

Associate
Is the non-290x bios just the standard 290 bios? I've been having some strange problems.

My i7-920 has been OC'd to 4ghz with zero issues for the last year. Now with this card in it fails to boot unless I put the CPU back to stock. Not sure what would cause this? I've also seen a few crashes in Windows - screen becomes striped/garbled and freezes then machine shuts down.

I initially thought the cause might be my 650W PSU but I've just upgraded to a Fractal R3 1000W Platinum PSU and the problem persists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Soldato
Is the non-290x bios just the standard 290 bios? I've been having some strange problems.

My i7-920 has been OC'd to 4ghz with zero issues for the last year. Now with this card in it fails to boot unless I put the CPU back to stock. Not sure what would cause this? I've also seen a few crashes in Windows - screen becomes striped/garbled and freezes then machine shuts down.

I initially thought the cause might be my 650W PSU but I've just upgraded to a Fractal R3 1000W Platinum PSU and the problem persists.

psu was my first thoughts, i think the non x bios is the 290 uber mode, it might be wirth switching it to see what happens

Associate
psu was my first thoughts, i think the non x bios is the 290 uber mode, it might be wirth switching it to see what happens

Thanks but I've tried both bios positions and get the same issue. The 290 bios is clocked at 1000mhz, not 947. Is that part of uber mode? I thought they stayed at 947 but the fan was more aggressive.

Soldato

It may be that the 290 draws more power from your mobo's PCIE slot than your old card did. This could put the mobo's VRM's under more stress/heat, hence affecting CPU overclocks. Which mobo do you have? I have had similar issues with SLI/Crossfire setups whereby my max CPU overclocks drop (even on really expensive mobo's with good PSU's). Best thing to do is set CPU at stock and see how far you can clock the card. Once card clocking is complete, see how far you can get the CPU. Somewhere between highest CPU and highest GPU clocks there will be a nice balance.

Last edited:
Associate
It may be that the 290 draws more power from your mobo's PCIE slot than your old card did. This could put the mobo's VRM's under more stress/heat, hence affecting CPU overclocks. Which mobo do you have? I have had similar issues with SLI/Crossfire setups whereby my max CPU overclocks drop (even on really expensive mobo's with good PSU's). Best thing to do is set CPU at stock and see how far you can clock the card. Once card clocking is complete, see how far you can get the CPU. Somewhere between highest CPU and highest GPU clocks there will be a nice balance.

Thanks very much. This makes a lot of sense. I'm on a P6T. I said before my OC has been stable for ages, however actually finding that stable spot took a LOT of trial and error with the board.

I actually just flashed a different 290x bios to the card and successfully booted at 4ghz (without changing any OC settings). Remains to be seen if it's a coincidence or a fix.

Associate
Unfortunately the problem remains.
If I turn off the PSU, hold the power in for 10 seconds to full discharge it, turn it back on I get a screen, set up my bios OC and boot happily into windows. If I restart my machine it boots fine. If I shutdown and then power on I get a black screen and the GPU fan revs up but never revs back down to the normal speed that it does when the machine posts successfully.

Very weird.

I've even reduced the voltage on my OC (after following a better guide to the one I've used before).

Soldato
Unfortunately the problem remains.
If I turn off the PSU, hold the power in for 10 seconds to full discharge it, turn it back on I get a screen, set up my bios OC and boot happily into windows. If I restart my machine it boots fine. If I shutdown and then power on I get a black screen and the GPU fan revs up but never revs back down to the normal speed that it does when the machine posts successfully.

Very weird.

I've even reduced the voltage on my OC (after following a better guide to the one I've used before).
Jonny is your 290 overclocked?

Back
Top Bottom