Water Bill - Anyone beat this?

Associate
£48 a month on a water meter, for 3 adults. I thought that was extortionate but looking at what most other people in here are paying perhaps not.
I dare say that will be going up to pay for their dumping sewage in the rivers.
Probably about right, I pay £15pm on my own and I’m seen as a low user according to the water company.

Associate
Thread an eye opener.

£39 per month
Average of 416 litres a day !
It says similar size household would be 345 (4 people)

Its up 13% compared to previous year. Which makes no sense to me as last year the weather was trash so no pools in the garden, no water play table for the little one. Massive reduction in car washing (I did was the car in the rain a couple of times)

So maybe there's a leak.

Already self conscious about our use, only 3 ways I could reduce further.
Stop bathing the kids at a night time.
Replace the toilet with one with dual flush (it's 3 years old traditional style so not changing)
Stop working from home

Oh fourth. It's a very old house and we are not convinced the pipework coming in is not the old stuff so we have to run the tap a bit in the morning before kettle to make sure it's clear.

Soldato
oh wow, i've just called SE Water cos I was a bit concerned how little I been paying. Only get charged a bill annually and it's not due until April. My last account in old address (1yr ago) was closed and I had a credit from that. So they based my DD on the credit and usual usage. SO no idea what I am actually paying/going to be owing until that bill comes in
Bill came through now, from £7.61 to £27.03 a month. Kind of what I'd now expect to be paying anyway.

Soldato
Moved into this house in Sept. 2x Adults and 2x Kids. No meter so was on some estimated rates price... £160 A MONTH!!

Tried to get them to reduce it but they refused unless we got a meter fitted. So I've crumbled and got a meter fitted now.

Last place was metered and was about £56 a month I think, should make a good saving providing we've got no leaks.

Man of Honour
Can anyone match it and make me feel better? I’ve looked for obvious leaks but can’t find anything.
my home was previously unmetered...i was paying £94/mth as a single occupant
does that make you feel better? :cry:
needless to say, i have now got a water meter

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thats crazy for single occupant
yeah lol. but to be fair, it was/is a family home...i just saved up to skip the starter home and went straight for a larger home as my first home, so was paying as though there was a family in there
when the first month's bill came, i applied for a meter the next day :cry:

Soldato
My last bill was equivalent to just over £40 a month. This was my first bill I had to pay for a while as I got a refund for a leak. The bill went quite high compared to the previous comparable bill so perhaps there's another leak somewhere.

Soldato
Just bit the bullet - Had new water bill today and they want £603 - Two of us in small bungalow but wife is a gardener and uses the hose a lot in summer - I also used to wash car a few times a week but those days have gone.
So ordered a water meter which will be fitted a month today - They estimate a bill of £400 a year -I will buy anotheer water butt.
We have three big ones in garden and this is just to catch a bit more by the back door and somewhere I can tip bowls of clean water - Every morning we have to run at least one bowl of water to get rid of the chemical smell in water - Another thing we do is tip washing up water down the loo - This is just to put loads of water down pipe as these new toilet systems don't put enough water down to shift a large log on our lazy drains - we have a level bit 12 mtrs into garden towards the road.

Associate
Family of 5 with 3 baths and 2 showers per day (baths for little ones though so not much water). £30pm although I think it's increasing to £35 but still doesn't seem bad. Finally convinced my dad to get a meter as well as he was still on standard with just 2 in the house!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom