Water Bill - Anyone beat this?

Don
Our bill is going up to £75 per month as of March. Going from £58 previously paid. We have apparently used 193m3 (195k litres) this year.

I find this baffling. We are a family of 6 but the younger kids (2, 5 and 8) don’t tend to have baths and shower when do.

Can anyone match it and make me feel better? I’ve looked for obvious leaks but can’t find anything.

Checked the water meter this morning and didn’t use any water for a couple of hours and the meter didn’t move so no issue there presumably.

Associate
We use around £45/mo for a family of 4 so not too far off yours per person.

Did get a £6,500 bill through last year though, got it cancelled after a bit of a faff. The water board had damaged one of the pipes a few weeks earlier and caused an olympic-sized swimming pool worth of water to leak (it was over 2,000,000 litres on the bill) before they noticed what they had done. You'd think the system would notify them before sending out a 2 million litre bill but it was us who had to chase them up

Last edited:
Associate
Mine is £80 per month.

I'm not on a meter though and pay as per table value.

There is only 3 of us, and I don't think we are abnormal for water use.

I'm tempted to get a water meter but always think what if we do use a lot of water and I end up paying much more.. and once I've switched I can't unswitch.

Associate
Mine is £80 per month.

I'm tempted to get a water meter but always think what if we do use a lot of water and I end up paying much more.. and once I've switched I can't unswitch.
We had a meter fitted as we still had lead pipe to the house. I'm sure you can try the meter for a year to see if you are using more or less than on the standard rate.

Soldato
Mine is £80 per month.

That's an outrageous number per month. I think I pay 27?

Associate
That's an outrageous number per month. I think I pay 27?

Yeah, speaking to colleagues about it the other week they say the same.

I maybe should explain a bit further,
I pay £40 for water and £40 for sewage (done by seperate companies in my area)

The house isn't a big expensive house and the rateable value wouldn't imo have been high back in yesteryear when they decided the rateable values (it's a small 3 bed semi that's had an extension to make it 4 bedrooms)

Soldato
We pay £56 family of 5 on meter. They wrote saying it's going up to like £70 odd because we used loads last year. I did have a plumbing issue which lasted a couple of months though with a dodgy pressure relief valve.

Last edited:
Soldato
£43 a month here for three of us. I don't feel like we use a crazy amount of water. But I do always hand wash the cars which bumps it up a bit, plus the bloody washing machine feels like it's constantly on. I don't know how women produce so much washing. One load every Saturday for me, Mrs and daughter seem to wear their entire wardrobe every 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom