Whaley Bridge (UK) - attempted burglary / shooting

Caporegime
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :)
wasn't their one some years back where the farmer shot some potential thieves in the back as they were running away.

Some people probably shouldn't own guns.

Might be thinking of this guy

he had an illegal firearm he apparently "found" also had his shotgun certificate revoked for shooting the back of a vehicle that tried to speed away after stealing apples from his orchard.

These farmers could shoot thin air and the people would run away, why the need to maim or kill them?

a burglar "falling down the stairs" is one thing, killing them is just wrong.

Maybe understandable in countries where the burglars are likely armed with guns themselves, but only if they are a threat.

someone trying to escape isn't a threat

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Maybe understandable in countries where the burglars are likely armed with guns themselves, but only if they are a threat.

Some of the people disturbed casing places and/or attempting to rob places around here have been tooled up including what appears to be shotguns or airguns, slingshots, knives, hammers, bars etc. fortunately I don't think most of them have turned physical.

For some reason it is Fiat Abarths they mostly seem to be going for at the moment weirdly.

Soldato
I've been watching a news report about this and it as left me confused in the angle they took.

It seems strange to me that the suspected burglar who died is having a tribute read out from his local pub!?

I know we joke about steeple and npc behaviour but this seems to be a case in point, that someone died under any circumstance and the default reaction is to commiserate the death.

It seems like another example of people thinking they have to say something on social media, so instead of saying nothing they choose between condemnation and commiseration. It is very strange behaviour.

He would have been accused of burglary, taking someone elses things - possibly machinery. He's accused of not being a good person.

Soldato
No doubt the tracksuit community will come out in their droves.

"He was a cheeky chappy"
"He would light up the room with his smile"
"We'll miss his mischievous smile"

The ***** of consequence rarely arrives lubed.

It's pretty disgusting that a pub he DJ'd at has started a tribute for him. If anything he should be labeled as a scumbag, you only do tributes for those who have died doing something heroic.

Associate
Truthfully surprised this does not happen more often. But then again I guess that's where our gun laws do help a bit.

It's pretty disgusting that a pub he DJ'd at has started a tribute for him. If anything he should be labeled as a scumbag, you only do tributes for those who have died doing something heroic.
That is humanity currently for you, all lives are too precious and have to be protected/celebrated regardless of character, unless you touch kids basically.

Man of Honour

We don't know all the information [yet], but pretty odd if he was involved in criminal behaviour. People's values seem so messed up these days :(

Soldato
I've been watching a news report about this and it as left me confused in the angle they took.

It seems strange to me that the suspected burglar who died is having a tribute read out from his local pub!?

I know we joke about steeple and npc behaviour but this seems to be a case in point, that someone died under any circumstance and the default reaction is to commiserate the death.

It seems like another example of people thinking they have to say something on social media, so instead of saying nothing they choose between condemnation and commiseration. It is very strange behaviour.

He would have been accused of burglary, taking someone elses things - possibly machinery. He's accused of not being a good person.

None of that matters to his friends and family, understandably.

You don't stop being someone's dad if he steals a car.

Soldato
I don't really have any sympathy at all for the burglars. If he shot them while they were fleeing then he should get the book thrown at him as well.

Soldato
I live on a farm and we've been done 3 times in 5 years. The last lot were a gang of pro's who cleared out our big shed of tools and machinery.

We've got guns here but it's really not worth the risk confronting them and like this guy is going to find out, the **** you're going to go through now after killing someone. I hope for his sake he can prove it was self defence.

Items can be replaced, that's what insurance is for.

Man of Honour
No sympathy really, if you are knowingly committing a crime, you can't complain if you get injured/worse.

This has been much discussed over the years, since the Tony Martin case, although there were quite a few irregularities with that one.

That being said, I think giving people carte blanche to shoot anyone on their property sets a very dangerous precedent...

Man of Honour
I don't really have any sympathy at all for the burglars. If he shot them while they were fleeing then he should get the book thrown at him as well.

Same here.

I don't understand why castle doctrine isn't just the default.

I think that was summed up well in Magnum Force, decades ago:

...where's it gonna end, Briggs?

Pretty soon, you'll start executing people
for jaywalking.

And executing people for traffic violations.

Then you end up executing your neighbor
'cause his dog ****** on your lawn.

Not necessarily in that order, but executing your neighbour if they set foot on your lawn to fetch their dog is along the same lines. If everyone is authorised to execute anyone on their property, that scenario would be covered. And it would happen. There are people who would take an opportunity to kill someone and be immune from prosecution. There would also be some cases that were more planned. Person A wants to kill person B. Person A invites person B to their home, making sure there's no evidence of the invitation. Person A kills person B. Person A claims castle doctrine. OK then, no problem. There would also be some cases that were less planned. Person A needs help and knocks on the door of a house. Person B, inside the house, kills person A. Castle doctrine has the killer covered - the person they killed was on their property.

Associate
Should have just shot their kneecaps out rather than going for the kill shot. Less grief from police and strong chance the burglars will never be able to rob anything again.

Or just take them down with your bare hands and sit on them until the police arrive, Duncan Ferguson style. You might die but if you pull it off you got a great story to tell the grandchildren

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Angilion - that’s not how castle doctrine works. There still has to be a reasonable belief that there’s a threat to you, e.g. not just a kid running on to your grass to get a ball back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom