What do you think of 'Banksy'?

Caporegime
As regards contemporary art (American abstract expressionism apparently) I can't say I get why if my Mark Rothko was real it would be 50 million quid or so
He ran out of canvas trying to recreate this, although your painting is more like 2 tester paint swatches or whatever you call them
sKwSh38.jpeg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Must admit when I go to the London galleries the pure genius of the old masters, even to a non arty person like me, blows me away

Last week I was at a Derby Museum and went into an exhibition of Joseph Wright who I had never heard of.
I was truly gobsmacked at his work especially one painting called The Alchemist.
I sat on a seat for at least 20 minutes looking at the detail.
The staff member asked me why I was looking at it so much and I said "I've seen some of the most famous paintings in the World and just go ahh Ok but the detail in this has blown me away, it's like he had an SLR on the correct settings ".

Last edited:
Soldato
Last week I was at a Derby Museum and went into an exhibition of Joseph Wright who I had never heard of.
I was truly gobsmacked at his work especially one painting called The Alchemist.
I sat on a seat for at least 20 minutes looking at the detail.
The staff member asked me why I was looking at it so much and I said "I've seen some of the most famous paintings in the World and just go ahh Ok but the detail in this has blown me away, it's like he had an SLR on the correct settings ".

Most paintings need to be seen in person. It's difficult to appreciate the skill and depth they convey in a photograph.

I spent about 5 minutes looking at one tiny detail (the edge of a hay bale) in a painting in the prado. The individual stalks were visible to an incredible degree.

I think this is my issue with much modern art- that level of skill often isn't apparent.

Soldato
I'd rather look at the Iron bridge at Ironbridge or Pontcysylte on the Llangollen canal and think how did the designers, engineers design such structures in unquantifiable materials and they still stand in the 21st century. Banksy has nothing on that, some clever stencilling is about it.

Soldato
I'd rather look at the Iron bridge at Ironbridge or Pontcysylte on the Llangollen canal and think how did the designers, engineers design such structures in unquantifiable materials and they still stand in the 21st century. Banksy has nothing on that, some clever stencilling is about it.

Ah, great engineering is an art of its own.

I went to Segovia in Spain last year. There is a HUGE roman aqueduct there, which is still standing. It's 2,000 years old, 20 miles long, about 100 feet high at its highest point and was in use until fairly recently.

Standing underneath it is pretty humbling.

Soldato
I've just come out of the Banksy Museum in Prague and I have a new found respect for him.
That was a really interesting couple of hours.

I took my daughter to the exhibition of his work in London a couple of years ago and found the same thing.

Raised a whole load of questions and discussions about the issues he's highlighting in a 'fun' way.

Caporegime
Theres a pub up the road from me which had the kissing policemen on it. They dug it off the wall and sold it. They did put up a replacement for it and covered it in clear plastic. I think this was his early work. I really don't get what the fuss is about tbh.
I reckon he will be easily forgotten and his work worth almost nothing in a few decades

Soldato
Do like some of his work although i've never quite understood why Banksy really took off given Blek was doing the same decades beforehand.
It does seem a little hypocritical that some artists work gets removed and not his (his early stuff did though) but as others have said, it's purely down to popularity, and therefore worth, so his stuff now sits in a massive grey area.

10 Foot isn't even a decent tagger; there are far better like Soak (was) and Voyder.

Back
Top Bottom