What is the worst Apple product you have owned?

Soldato
My MacBook Pro c. 2020 died twice after the warranty ended, both logic board failures.

Would be very hesitant to put that sort of money into a machine again given it costs 700 odd quid to repair it.

Permabanned
Sadly, I think it’s my current finewoven case. After six months of use, it looks like complete garbage.

Honourable mentions to AirPod Pro 1st gen (had a terrible allergic reaction to them) and the Apple Watch gen 0 (a software update made it completely unusable).

2016 MBP 13.

Key fell off the keyboard, they replaced the whole palm rest including battery and speakers. Then the screen died and they replaced the whole top assembly (fully disassembling the machine to do so). Terrible design.

Probably 6 hours labour all in.

The dude had to bring a special jig to my house to repair it, clamped it to my kitchen table.

The Touch ID button didn't work again either.

After those two jobs the machine was practically Trigger's broom.

Man of Honour
Mac mini M1

Died from an update. Apple wanted £500 to fix it.

Uh.

From that experience. I’ll never buy an apple computer again. I really like their phones but they can get stuffed.

I also had the MacBook Pro 13” from 2016 and that is also bad. Still my personal ‘laptop’.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mac mini M1

Died from an update. Apple wanted £500 to fix it.

Uh.

From that experience. I’ll never buy an apple computer again. I really like their phones but they can get stuffed.

I also had the MacBook Pro 13” from 2016 and that is also bad. Still my personal ‘laptop’.
They might have been lazy and not tried, but often you can fix these sorts of issues with Apple Configurator and another Mac, assuming the Mac Mini can boot into dfu mode, you still have the Mac?

Man of Honour
They might have been lazy and not tried, but often you can fix these sorts of issues with Apple Configurator and another Mac, assuming the Mac Mini can boot into dfu mode, you still have the Mac?

It wouldn’t boot at all unfortunately. The Genius Bar did deal with it for a while and confirmed the hardware died during the update… but still wanted to charge us? Silly really. It’s probably cost them more than the repairs in my own reluctance to by other products… and me telling everyone to not get an Apple product (except for the phone).

It was my wife’s and very conveniently she was given a new work laptop at the same time, eradicating the need for it… so that was very fortunate.

Soldato
Apple watch ultra it so badly designed you can't even wear a pair gloves without it phoning the emergency services
Got to be one of the worst expensive items i have ever bought

It Should really have a large warning on the box saying you cannot wear this watch with gloves on

It ok if you wear it so the watch is upside down so the edge of a glove can't push & hold in the righthand side button :cry: :cry: :cry: Guess that apple stuff for you

Last edited:
Soldato
nothing, I have no issue with my Apple products

But Apple certainly has many stupid products, like its Mice - i feel sorry for anyone who got scammed into buying an Apple mouse or an Apple monitor stand or an Apple keyboard

Last edited:
Soldato
Original plastic MacBook. I think I had to replace every major component of it at one time or another, and the keyboard deck just fell to pieces.

Edit. Oh yeah, and the fan used to make a mooing noise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom