What is the worst Apple product you have owned?

Soldato
I was given a Magic Mouse with a MacBook Pro I picked up on here years ago... one of those free gifts you couldn't politely decline, used once and left in the drawer of shame.

Other worst was the original magic track pad, the design meant that if you lent on it funny it was really easy to crack the glass (cutting your hand and not being able to operate the Mac it's synced to) and I ended up going though a couple of them till the much more sensibly shaped Magic Trackpad 2 came out (also picked up on here).

Sadly none of this is merch ex Lie stock

Last edited:
Commissario
Other worst was the original magic track pad, the design meant that if you lent on it funny it was really easy to crack the glass (cutting your hand and not being able to operate the Mac it's synced to) and I ended up going though a couple of them till the much more sensibly shaped Magic Trackpad 2 came out (also picked up on here).

Interesting. There’s been three magic trackpads. The original one which took AA batteries, then the Magic Trackpad 2 with the lightning connector and then that was revised very slightly with more curved corners.

I’ve had all three and didn’t have any problems with them cracking but I guess I just didn’t put too much pressure on. It’s not an issue I’ve heard of before.

Soldato
Why would you need to control the songs? Then it's not a shuffle right, then it's just a player, not a shuffler
Because you couldn't play pause at will or even skip a song without using the voice control, Bearing in mind when it came out Voice control wasn't really in a working state.

Caporegime
Using the Original Magic Mouse and original Magic Trackpad right now. I like the fact that they use AA and I can just swap them out when battery runs out for a rechargeable pair (I have a LOT of them).

Worst product...probably the 2018 13" MBP with Intel i7, it just simply get too hot over nothing. Even downloading Adobe updates sends the temperature through the roof.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting. There’s been three magic trackpads. The original one which took AA batteries, then the Magic Trackpad 2 with the lightning connector and then that was revised very slightly with more curved corners.

I’ve had all three and didn’t have any problems with them cracking but I guess I just didn’t put too much pressure on. It’s not an issue I’ve heard of before.

The story goes (as it was an ex that broke the first one) if you used it standing up (so pressure straight down) it cracked, I bet she dropped in hind site... The second one I cracked but I slipped getting up and sort of fell onto mid rampy bit of the glass which was an instant game over and a load plasters.

Basically resenting the design choice apple made because it didn't meet my connected to the TV use case (or clumsy life style :cry:) the redesigned one with a built in battery is exactly what the product should have been in the first place

Soldato
It's software but icloud does my head in. Both parents and my friends constantly complain about it being full cause they only give you 5GB and the default backup behaviour is just stupid.

Why am I storing full size photos on 5GB in the cloud and compressed photos on the 120GB phone? Why are you backing up whatsapp twice? Why are you backing up an app that stores everything on it's own servers? How is notes taking up 1GB?

I absolutely despise that whenever you click any of the notifications about it being full, the only 'solution' it gives is to buy more storage. Compared to google you get 3x less storage and it gives you a few tools to keep your usage low.

Soldato
MacBook Pro 13 with Touchbar is easily the worst for me. I had a couple of issues with the butterfly keyboard but nothing a bit of compressed air couldn't fix. The real issue was the touchbar freezing and the system crashing or not waking properly from sleep. It also had some copper tape hanging slightly out of the cover underneath from new, so probably destined to be a lemon.

On the other hand I'm typing this on a 2013 MacBook Pro 13 with 984 cycles on the battery and still at 86% health. Over 10 years old and still working great, the only thing I've replaced is the touchpad which was a fairly easy job.

Soldato
apple ipod nano 1st gen... the battery died shortly after the warrany ran out on it, so I attempted to fix it.
only for them to extend the warranty on the battery for a known issue a few weeks after I attempted to fix it.

Soldato
Anyone remember

Iphone 4 You're holding it wrong :D:D:D

I was in the middle of that and many lessons were learned internally and phantom hands that replicated the radio frequency attenuation of the human hand because industry standard. To be fair to Chairman Steve, human hands have always negatively impacted cellular phone performance. Alas, being able to touch the antennae meant that folks with high skin conductivity and sweaty palms actually altered the electrical characteristics of the antennae and de-tuned the phone.

It was actually a double whammy as it highlighted that baseband chipset vendor (Infineon) wasn’t calculating RSSI correctly and the first SW fix actually made it worse as the RSSI display for 2G only updated when the phone changed serving cell.

Free bumpers for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom