What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Associate
...Fedora seems to work out of the box and is more stable on both the PCs I've tried and therefore I am back to Fedora 39 on both.

4 and bit months on from that post and still using Fedora 39 on both machines. However I did have an issue with Fedora 39 on the Lenovo Duet 3i (very basic n4020 Celeron powered Surface-alike machine) where somewhere around Kernal 6.7.x it would start crashing soon after startup. Usually when clicking on a program to load like Terminal, or Brave. Problem started out as a 1 -n-4 type thing but then became all the time. Couldn't work out from the logs what was causing the issue so decided it would be easier to do a reinstall.

I've used it as an opportunity to try out Fedora Silverblue as I quite liked the concept of the stability it should offer as an immutable OS. And pleased to say a few weeks later it's still going strong. On this small machine I only need a few programs so using flatpaks is perfect. Most updates seem to not require a reboot (so far). And doesn't seem to be that far behind on version numbers compared to my other Fedora Workstation installation.

On this machine I've been running Fedora since 36 but this different flavour of it has been interesting to find out about and try out.

Man of Honour
I used Gentoo for a while about twenty years ago. I looked at it again recently and couldn't understand how the hell I managed with it back then. The last few years I was happily dumbed down by Mint, but I found it was freezing up gradually more and more in the last year or two. Couldn't figure out why as nothing had changed. Reinstalling didn't help, so I looked around for an alternative and for over three months I have been happy with Manjaro.

Soldato
I have been using Silverblue (39) for the last few days, must say I am impressed it feels very polished and gives me a sense that it is a very stable system which is what I am after.
Downloading the update to 40 now.

Associate
just realised ive been using linux as my daily for over a year now. SteamOS... this is a distro right?

Soldato
I used Gentoo for a while about twenty years ago. I looked at it again recently and couldn't understand how the hell I managed with it back then. The last few years I was happily dumbed down by Mint, but I found it was freezing up gradually more and more in the last year or two. Couldn't figure out why as nothing had changed. Reinstalling didn't help, so I looked around for an alternative and for over three months I have been happy with Manjaro.
I sometimes look back too and I'm amazed at how high my tolerance for pain was :p

Soldato
I sometimes look back too and I'm amazed at how high my tolerance for pain was :p
The nearest I got to that was installing Arch Linux as a dual boot system on my old PC. I doubt I'd be able to put up with the amount of faffing about it required again. I like it nice and easy these days so I'm happily on Fedora 40 on my server and just use Linux on virtual machines on my Mac.

Back
Top Bottom