What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Put up a blind and for probably the first time in my life all 4 fixings held without crumbling into mush. Astonished.

Usually end up having a nightmare with blinds. Hit cavities, blown bricks, steel lintels etc.
You have my sympathy, the wife decides seemingly every week a new blind needs putting up. I use spring toggles now which I seem to have more success with

Soldato
RE: Blinds, it was only when I ripped out the (now) bathroom window I realised they lathed the top of the window reveal. It now makes sense that when I drilled and plugged downstairs it made the plaster crack. Basically put a rawl plug in a bit of wood..

Associate
53710118692_a02c979324_z.jpg

I put the pictures up in my hall after finally finishing decorating it and getting the stair runners fitted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good... I definitely need something similar. I am still using 2 old IKEA dining tables that once upon a time were desks. It is a right pain!

---------

Super slow progress today. I had to single lift the 3.5m spans and then the 6m big boy. Everything is bolted down now. Then started to tackle the joist hangers which have become another one of my top-least-favourite-things-ever.

My hands are FUBAR so it is tough going now. The roof arrived as a bit of a tease tho :cry:

GNrcNxv.jpg

Presume you just chop the extra length of bolts off at the end?

*with angle grinder

Last edited:
Soldato
I decided to pressure wash the slippery algae & moss off the front & rear ramps.
It was one of those "Snowball starts an Avalanche" moments, that couldn't be half-done.

My Wife may or may not have recorded me getting tangled up in the pressure washer line, the garden hose and the extension reel, needing to remove both quick-release wheels and shout "Okay, I might need some help" through the kitchen window...

Soldato
My Wife may or may not have recorded me getting tangled up in the pressure washer line, the garden hose and the extension reel, needing to remove both quick-release wheels and shout "Okay, I might need some help" through the kitchen window...

Good job - tip for you - buy a 30m or longer hose extension for between the pressure washer and the lance. It means the pressure washer can be much further away from you, your ears and the water from electricity. Plus it's only one hose to get garrotted by :D.

Associate
I built an outdoor storage unit so I could move stuff from an overcrowded shed into it. Then filled it completely and can still barely move in my main shed. I need to some some serious tidying and throwing away but I can’t bring myself to do it yet.

Associate
Made a start on the broken fence panel, managed about 1/2 hrs before a drink and biscuit was needed before I had to go pick the wife up from work. That was enough to get too hot.

Soldato
Presume you just chop the extra length of bolts off at the end?

*with angle grinder
Yeah - I went on a Tool Station run to grab some twist nails so picked up a 9 inch one from Jewsons. Made light work and barely touched the metal disk. The 115mm was pathetic in comparison.

Hand balled all the materials into the workshop today, will have to stop progress from tomorrow as I need to recover (my hands are FUBAR). Decent shift today but not as far ahead as I wanted unfortunately.

Joist hangers are a new least favourite job. 14 nails per joist hanger, x84

PSlOqhQ.jpg

Got the PIR down... debating what to do now. I can put the 22mm down easily enough but the weather is going to turn next week. I don't own a tarp big enough!

FNG

FNG

Associate
Yeah - I went on a Tool Station run to grab some twist nails so picked up a 9 inch one from Jewsons. Made light work and barely touched the metal disk. The 115mm was pathetic in comparison.

Hand balled all the materials into the workshop today, will have to stop progress from tomorrow as I need to recover (my hands are FUBAR). Decent shift today but not as far ahead as I wanted unfortunately.

Joist hangers are a new least favourite job. 14 nails per joist hanger, x84

PSlOqhQ.jpg

Got the PIR down... debating what to do now. I can put the 22mm down easily enough but the weather is going to turn next week. I don't own a tarp big enough!
It's looking great!

Soldato
For the tight fisted amongst us - I have 2 gaps in the PIR greater than 5mm. Is it worth busting open a ten quid tin of insulation foam? :o
Bead of silicon down back edge, and another on front edge?

Also, are your PIR boards inside the timber frame but exposed to elements underneath? I don't see where the damp proofing is intended to function. I know nothing about this construction style though!

Back
Top Bottom