What "man jobs" have you done today?

Man of Honour
160kg benched in the gym
Cut the lawn
Washed and hoovered the car (will deal with a few tar spots and clean around the doors/engine etc tomorrow)
Adjusted the tyre pressures
Hedgehog food put out

Not bad for a Friday evening, love these lighter/warmer evenings.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could to make it worth while cut gaps in the rest of them to use the tin up in one go.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bead of silicon down back edge, and another on front edge?

Also, are your PIR boards inside the timber frame but exposed to elements underneath? I don't see where the damp proofing is intended to function. I know nothing about this construction style though!
Yeah. Basically everything you see in that photo is "wet side". If it was inside a house where it is typically quite dry I'd just silver tape at this stage. Because it is outdoors I am putting a specific vapour barrier over this, and then the chipboard will sit on top of the vapour barrier. Silver tape would do the same.

The PIR is pretty impervious to water, and the timber is treated. Because it is "outside" it is well ventilated and will dry out.

My walls will then be clad in OSB that will cover the sides down to the floor almost. That will then be covered in breather membrane which'll effectively waterproof all four sides apart from the bottom. But the bottom can breath so it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone explain 400 centers to me? Having a real brain fart. It seems the drawings from Oakwood change their mind quite often. 400 centers for me is 400mm between joist centers. But then he says cut your PIR to 400mm. But that is impossible because 2x1/2 joist = 50mm, from 400 centers = 350 gap.

Am I crazy or just overthinking what it means?

Last edited:

FNG

FNG

Associate
Can anyone explain 400 centers to me? Having a real brain fart. It seems the drawings from Oakwood change their mind quite often. 400 centers for me is 400mm between joist centers. But then he says cut your PIR to 400mm. But that is impossible because 2x1/2 joist = 50mm, from 400 centers = 350 gap.

400mm centers is exactly what you are thinking and will leave a less than 400mm gap. Stick to the 400mm centers, ina few years when you need to find the studds you will be glad you did!

Soldato
Cheers chaps. And does 400 centers mean ill have a stud landing correctly for 2.4x1.2 boards? I guess center starts from the first stud too
Boards are actually 2440 x 1220mm I think as they're 8' x 4'. So there's 20mm excess across 3 joists.

400 centres is actually 16 inches which is 406.4mm

So it depends if things are strictly metric or strictly Imperial I suppose! Can you measure a board?

Last edited:
Soldato
Boards are actually 2440 x 1220mm I think as they're 8' x 4'. So there's 20mm excess across 3 joists.

400 centres is actually 16 inches which is 406.4mm

So it depends if things are strictly metric or strictly Imperial I suppose! Can you measure a board?
I think that's what I'll do this evening when I die during a game of CS. I'm 2 weeks back to the real world now so things on pause! Altho I've been reminded of the front bedroom.... :cry:

Soldato
Can you stop putting most of us to shame please. If my wife sees this I will have her nagging me constantly rather than occasionally.

Not read the rest of the posts yet.

Those metal plates, look like semi bright steel?

If you have a chance to switch to stainless, I would and if not, try and get them as covered as possible against the UK weather.

Did you have any help from Oakwood's Jen :cry:

Soldato
Get them done - It's like being reborn.
I had both done - The youth in training did a perfect job on right hand but consultant messed up left hand -Never known pain like it - but in the end it was well worth having them done.

PS -No sign of me ever having them done - No scar -nothing

rmvwo8r.png

Also the best thing I've done recently, with getting a full nights sleep being the #1 riding without pain and using tools without having to worry about the weeks of pain.

I'll dig out some juicy images from the server later and post :cry:

Soldato

The way you've indicated is how I would understand it and the drawings have an error.

Are the instructions and drawings any good? I see there's loads of videos but to be honest I much prefer reading to watching videos. Especially as the oakwood videos I've seen seem to be quite poorly videod close up selfy style... (I haven't really looked at the build ones yet)

Last edited:
Soldato
Those metal plates, look like semi bright steel?

Did you have any help from Oakwood's Jen :cry:
They are galv and fully covered on all sides.

I wish :o :D

Also the best thing I've done recently, with getting a full nights sleep being the #1 riding without pain and using tools without having to worry about the weeks of pain.

I'll dig out some juicy images from the server later and post :cry:
Yeah I had another night of just pure agony :(. It is such a bizarre pain. Horrid.

The way you've indicated is how I would understand it and the drawings have an error.

Are the instructions and drawings any good? I see there's loads of videos but to be honest I much prefer reading to watching videos. Especially as the oakwood videos I've seen seem to be quite poorly videod close up selfy style... (I haven't really looked at the build ones yet)
Yeah and the videos somewhat contradict it to.

The buildpacks are quite good; I think the material list is the best bit. It just means you can do your big orders, get your materials in, then focus on each day. I could easily plan one out now but without seeing the answer first it'd be tough to get it right and not massively over/under order.

The diagrams are OK but a scan through the videos each evening prior to the next days work has been most helpful tbh.

@dlockers cant manage lifting a vacuum cleaner up/down the stairs FFS :cry:
:mad:

--------------

Had a super slow casual day today. I guaranteed myself tomorrow "off" so I can be at least partially productive on Monday.

In a cruel twist of events I am short by about 1.5feet of 22mm (the build pack is off by 1 board for the floor [need 16 boards not 15]). Ironically I listed about 30 offcuts of 22mm from the living/dining/kitchen/hall job on Marketplace just 5 days ago and some lad took the lot away :cry:

o4mIvg6.jpg

rgFE58t.jpg

^ having my 3/yo mark out joist centres may have been an error in judgement. She was doing a great job then got distracted and just started drawing lines everywhere lol.

-------

I have a bit left over of the vapour barrier so I intend to whack that down as a waterproof cover for the next 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom