• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
IIRC this is generally how GPUs are released. The high end first, most expensive to drive sales and entice those who are on the fence and cannot wait. Also to market and demonstrate the new architecture of which all other cards will be based. Then the more affordable cards come out later.

Except RDNA4 is more like Polaris and the entry level and mainstream cards are being released first. There are no RDNA4 high end cards,as AMD apparently scrapped those and will concentrate on RDNA5 instead. Performance apparently tops off at around 7900XT level,so it would make sense AMD is going to clear out the 7900XT before RDNA4 launches. Lots and lots of leaks are starting to come out about them which were from similar sources which got the PS5 PRO specifications correctly.

It could be quite possible mainstream Blackwell is pushed forward,like with the GTX1060 when Polaris was launched. However,there seems to be very little information from leaks outside the top end cards.

Last edited:
Associate
That would be interested if those entry level RDNA4 cards are competitively priced. For examples, 7900XT performance for sub £500, with perhaps some new features such next version of FSR or frame gen.
Probably wishful thinking, if anything prices are only heading in one direction which is up!

Associate
Nvidia make *less* money from me with such high prices. I'd upgrade more frequently if prices were sane.
I think the end-user is no longer high priority for Nvidia. They were previously driven by GPU sales, this is now relatively pocket change.
The big bucks comes from their AI solutions, which is probably where their focus is.

Associate
Yet the likes of DLSS are making people generally upgrade LESS often, part of the reason for the recent increases imo.
This is true, hence me having this 3080 for 2 and a half years.

But I just caved and ordered a 4080 Super FE. The combination of wanting shiny and new after 2 and a half years and getting an unexpected pay rise and bonus at work made me think **** it, I won't be buying a 5080 for at least 6 months after they come out. So this'll do for the next year and a half to two years. Also wanted a more comfortable amount of video memory.

This system is okayish for this card and I want 1440p with as full as possible details.

Also the other day before I was informed about the good deal at work, I was contemplating 959 quid, but factoring in the sale of this 3080 FE. It's in great nick with all the original packaging, so I'll probably be about 600 quid in. About 5 years ago in a similar good wage uplift and bonus situation, I paid 630 quid for an MSI 2080 Ventus, while selling my 1070 to a mate for 100 quid. So I was 530 quid in even then.

This one would have been a far more difficult decision without the work situation though..

Last edited:
Soldato
The RX7900XT is now under £600 at one retailer and was briefly £560!
Called it back last august.
I'm not saying its wildly overpriced as we are now about £100 off from where I think it should be, sure starfield adds some value while the promo is running but it'll still be on gamepass day one and that's only a couple of quid a month which is how I intend to play it. I fully expect it to hit £600 by the new year as I think the 7900XTX will drop to £800 which will create further downward pressure.
TBH it should have just released at £650 instead of the daft £900 AMD tried charging for it, anyone who bought at or around those prices should feel insulted and ripped off as we are now seeing the true value of the product.

Soldato
Nvidia make *less* money from me with such high prices. I'd upgrade more frequently if prices were sane.
I'm not sure they care about regular users anymore. I have my doubts about PC gaming going forward.

I usually have a gaming PC and gaming laptop, but I might just reduce to a gaming laptop and rely more on console gaming the way prices are going.

Associate
Not really. Depends when exactly the 5080 will actually be available, its performance and price.
There is that. But it could be like the 3080 was in terms of performance gain. Bad part is in the current climate, Nvidia will milk that like they're still milking me because I have a G Sync module monitor..

Fact is, I never buy graphics cards at launch, usually mid to late cycle when prices have normalised. Unfortunately, this time the 'normalisation' is extremely abnormal. So a bit of free money meant maybe I could get the things I wanted to play around with, DLSS 3, frame gen and 16GB of memory, while also moving on the 3080 at a time where it still has decentish value. Extra texture packs did cause a problem for the 3080. That said, did I really notice the higher texture quality? I'm not sure, depended on the game.

But the Founders Edition cards from the 30 series up are a thing of beauty, the 3080 FE is still a magnificent card, someone will get a great card. I couldn't get an AIB after having an FE. Toying with the idea of maybe building an ITX 3080 FE build for under the telly to play FIFA on. But also looking at HDMI/USB extender over Ethernet options. Got a 55 inch LG OLED and it's begging to be gamed on.

Soldato
Fact is, I never buy graphics cards at launch, usually mid to late cycle when prices have normalised. Unfortunately, this time the 'normalisation' is extremely abnormal
Maybe on the Nvidia side but AMD is looking much better now that cards like the 7900XT are available for sub £600.

The irony is the 7900XT costs more to make than a 4080 so you can see how massive the mark up is on the Nvidia side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom