Who has been to to the olympics, what is the atmosphere like

Soldato
I haven't been there but watching last night and hearing the whole stadium sing out the national anthem for Jess Ennis' gold medal presentation gave me goose bumps. It was absolutely awesome.

Soldato
Are we talking about athletics only? I have been to badminton and wembley twice for the football; the atmosphere at wembley yesterday was very good considering it was 2 foreign teams playing.

Caporegime
A few friends were in there last night and said it was one of the best nights of their life. I'm in London and even on the streets there is a buzz about the place. Watched mo win his race in a pub and the whole street was cheering I think

Soldato
Went to Greenwich Park on Friday and it was incredible.

Popped over to Stratford to see the Olympic Park and that was buzzing too.

I can only imagin how spine-tingling it must be inside the venues at the park.

Soldato
I went to the swimming on Friday. It was only an early morning session (so no finals, and some of the big guns were rested for the relay) but the atmosphere was excellent. Especially in the Mens 4x100 medley, it was close all the way and GB were right up there. In the end they won the heat and it was a blanket finish. The noise was immense and when it finished I had goosebumps all down my arms and so did loads of other people on our row!

I then watched a few things on the big screens in the park, then went to Hyde Park to watch the track cycling and in both of those places the atmosphere was very good there too.

I can't imagine what the atmosphere was like on the last lap of the men's 10,000m last night. I get goosebumps just thinking about it!

Soldato
It's true; there is no exaggeration. One of the best days of my life was last Saturday when I went to Wembley for the football - GB vs UAE and Senegal vs Uruaguay. It is incredible, especially when GB is involved.

Yesterday I was a Senegal vs Mexico, it was still very good, but not as good as the first time.

It is totally worth the money to be there (if you can afford it).

Man of Honour
I was there yesterday for the handball. Pertinent points in no particular order:

-Very well organised, I think LOCOG set expectations about how difficult it is getting in so people wouldn't be too angry at problems, but I spent more time walking from the station than I did queueing up to get through security.
-Transport nowhere near as bad as the scaremongering made out, for example within an hour of the event finishing I was sat on a train at Waterloo. Jubilee line from Stratford, job done. Yes the tube is busy but no worse than for a football match, probably easier in fact as didn't need to queue to enter the station.
-Olympic Park was.... I wouldn't say disappointing per se, but it certainly didn't blow me away. Nothing wrong with it but all a bit bland and functional (which should be priority #1 anyway), none of the extravagant landscaping I was expecting.
-Distinct lack of scoreboards, screens etc to tell you what is going on in other events
-Generally a good atmosphere about the place, lots of different nationalites, bit of a festival vibe going on, good cheer from the staff
-Copperbox was awesome, one of the best venues I've been to for atmosphere when the crowd are cheering GB, surprisingly loud.
-No pints at that venue only 330ml for £4.30, which works out at about £7/pint equivalent, bit of a ripoff.

Chap at work said Hyde park is much better than Park live having been to both.

Associate
I was there yesterday for the handball. Pertinent points in no particular order:

-No pints at that venue only 330ml for £4.30, which works out at about £7/pint equivalent, bit of a ripoff.

Chap at work said Hyde park is much better than Park live having been to both.

I was there yesterday, I saw people walking about with Pints! Not sure how much they were though (I am not drinking at the moment)

Soldato
Was at Eton Dorney last Wednesday.

It was utterly brilliant, when we won our first gold I thought the stand was going to come down.

Also, I thought £6 for a pork sandwich was a rip off but I was starving so I bought two; the defeated me and they were lovely.

Soldato
Two weeks ago I'd have been firmly in the "what's the point?" camp. But after a visit to the Park perimeter on Friday, and then a very lucky opportunity to attend an event on Sunday, I'd go every day to something if I had photo ID to collect tickets myself.

I'd just camp on the site and wait for last minute seat-filling opportunities (I'm hovering over one even as I type). They do seem to crop up quite regularly, and working nights means I can go to anything if I don't mind screwing my body clock up and falling asleep on trains. :)

This kind of behaviour, from someone with very little interest in sport generally, might tell you something about the atmosphere around this event. It is... well, addictive. The sense of occasion, the knowledge that the crowd is doing its bit to make the games successful (whether I believe we should have had them in the first place or not), and the urge to try and encourage the participants -- wherever they're from -- is a heady mixture.

However I know someone who went to handball on Sunday, which isn't at the Park, and they felt a bit let down by the experience. The event itself was ok, but unlike the Park you're out into normality too soon. At least at the Park you can wander around and soak up a bit of the ambiance and catch sights & sounds of other events. Plus there are more people all doing the same thing, with glimpses of athletes & meja celebs to spice up the day.

In short (it's a bit late for that) just go if you get the chance. :) Of course it helps if you can get a ticket for something with a British participant, so you can experience being deafened by supporters, but that's not going to be possible in many cases and I definitely think that seeing any event is better than seeing no event... and then spending the rest of your life wishing you'd made the effort.

There are no shortage of experiences you can get on tap at any time of year if you have the time and money. But the Olympics on your doorstep is -- as they are so fond of saying -- a chance of a lifetime.

And they're right.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I went to the Stadium on Monday Morning, thought it was an amazing atmosphere, far better than any footy match ive been too. There was no booing, jeering etc, just 80K people having fun and supporting atheletes from all countries, even france :D
All in the park was helpful, everyone seemed to know their job and nothing was to much for them. One of the women at work had her back go, a first aider came up to her got her looked at by 2 doctors then made sure one of the buggies was there to take her around the park.

Man of Honour
I was there yesterday, I saw people walking about with Pints! Not sure how much they were though (I am not drinking at the moment)

It might depend where you are, at Earl's Court it was £4.60 for a pint or £4.30 for a 330ml bottle of Heineken.

I've been lucky enough to go to three events and they've all been great, my favourite was easily at the Velodrome because it was an event that I really wanted to see and knew more about but I thoroughly enjoyed the volleyball and handball despite knowing very little about the rules and teams, especially for the latter.

The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic pretty much the whole way through and it was really nice to hear all athletes being cheered, sure the biggest cheers were for the British athletes but everyone got recognition and support. :)

Soldato
I've been to a number of the free events thus far... all three cycling road races, women's triathlon and women's marathon.

What I found brilliant was that when I went to watch something on my own, I always ended up having somebody else to talk to while waiting in a good spot to watch. It's such a contrast to how London usually is, where people don't talk to each other. With everyone in such high spirits, attitudes are really friendly.

I've also been to two ticketed events.
Tuesday I went to the Park and was in the Velodrome for the final session. The atmosphere was honestly like no sporting event I've ever been to, and it's easy to just get caught up in it. I think I was shouting so much I nearly lost my voice! It is without a doubt a day I will remember for the rest of my life. I enjoyed the Park itself too and was impressed by all the staff and volunteers who were so friendly and are doing their best to put on a good show for the world.

I also went to Eton Dorney today. Again, very friendly staff and its operated slickly, however it didn't quite compare to the experience I had in the Park.

Soldato
I went pretty deaf after USA vs Australia basketball semi yesterday. Amazing roar.

Today it is the Olympic park for water polo followed by great British beer festival tonight!

Caporegime
Was at Westfield Stratford last night and have to say the atmosphere was pretty good, saw plenty of proud and happy Jamaicans due to their unbelievable 1, 2, 3 in the 200m final last night.

Saw a few athletes, saw a Croatian basketball player, he must have been almost 7ft as thats how tall he was...he was with his gf, who was absolutely tiny:p.

Still cant get tickets for tommorrow night as i wanted to take the missus there for a bit of a wander...shame but im hoping that i still might bag a couple.

Back
Top Bottom