Why are the OcUK forums so successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i like this place cause i can get a lot of PC building advice from experts here :)

im hardly an expert so do need help from time to time :)

apart from that there is a fun and friendly side to ocuk forums and a real sense of community spirit :)

Soldato
Well I hate to be vain, but I would say it was due to my presence on em ;) :p

Alternately, it could be the wide range of forums, a ,while grumbled at by some, good set of rules which have been copied by numerous other forums, the wealth of technical advice here & the sports forum. About it I think ;)

Associate
I agree with Cemetry, the wide range of forums available, there is something for everyone to talk about :)
And of course the fact that everyone is so friendly especially if you have a problem, there is always someone willing to help.

Soldato
coz we are bored and nothing good is on tv :p

I think once u post more u kinda make friends on this site and in these forums u find people with similar interest to u :)

Soldato
I think one of the main factors is that it's down to the sheer size of the forum user base - it's now reached the stage of having so many members that replies to posts can be guaranteed within minutes, effectively making it a chatroom.

And yes, there is an incredible depth and diversity of knowledge available here.

Permabanned
I cant speak for the other regular posting hardware peeps, but I actually come onto these forums day in - day out just to give as much advice as I can. I like to be able to help, and my knowledge is usually substantial to find soultions to most questions.

As for the lifestyle forums, the reason i read and post in them must mainly be down to the friendly atmosphere, and the quality of the posts (besides a few spam-ridden ones in here), most make a good read.

Then of course there is the SETI side of things, although new to it, i feel that as an OcUK seti member, the seti forums ar a must for at least one visit a day.

Closed
Permabanned
Originally posted by simisker
I think one of the main factors is that it's down to the sheer size of the forum user base - it's now reached the stage of having so many members that replies to posts can be guaranteed within minutes, effectively making it a chatroom.
But it's got a big user base because it's popular. That argument is circular :D

One reason it's popular with many is also one reason why it's unpopular with many - a firm and well-enforced set of rules. Some like it, some don't. Those that appreciate the atmosphere that firm control over insulting behaviour, foul language, etc like it here.

And yes, a good range of topics from general interest stuff to technical forums. Oh, and the people, of course. And the fact that they've been around for quite a while now.

It's a range of things, IMHO. A mix.

Soldato
Partly because of the initial success of the retail store, partly because of the quality of the moderators, and mainly because the members this place has attracted are second to none ;) You, the members, make this place what it is.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a combination of factors IMO:
  • Fair and good moderation
  • A world-class SETI team :D
  • A thriving member's market (see point 1)
  • Associated with a highly successful shop
  • The style (avatars, colour-scheme, good forum structure). OK it may not be this but I like it :)
  • The best members, coming from a variety of different backgrounds with different opinions
    icon14.gif

Soldato
Originally posted by Marcus
But it's got a big user base because it's popular. That argument is circular :D

I thought it would make a nice change from all the linear arguments found elsewhere. ;)

Anyway, there's something to be said for an argument that one can ride for a while, then disembark from to find oneself in exactly the same location as before the ride.

So is this what happens when Our Glorious Leader gets drunkenly sentimental or something?

Commissario
i think it's down to the following things (some have already been mentioned)

in no particular order
  • the online store (the link)
  • the people willing to help and advise (the main reason i stayed after joining)
  • the fact you can have a friendly chat without too much fear of being flamed for your opinion
  • a set of rules that whilst may be seen as harsh seem to work (so much so that other forums have been noted copying them;) well apart from the buttercup rule
  • the fairly friendly and normally helpful admin, moderators etc
  • but largely the members

Commissario
Originally posted by simisker

So is this what happens when Our Glorious Leader gets drunkenly sentimental or something?

No, when he gets drunk we get posts in the Don's room and Speak easy along the lines of

"yno i relli love you guys" ;)

this is a joke, i repeat this is a joke.
I hope spie see's the funny side of it -_0

Soldato
Most people here get on really well and have formed a community which is the base on which the forums stand in my opinion. If it wasn't for this the forums wouldn't be as good as they are.

Oh and the strict rules do help a lot too.

Soldato
Friendly regulars. On many other forums, you get silly morons just hurling insults and talking about stuff they blatently have no knowledge of.

Wide variety of forums. If I need to know something techy, I'm almost certain to find an answer in one of the forums. If I want to chill, there's the good ol' GD and other "life" forums.

Backing of the store. So many people are here because they found OcUK to have good stuff, decent prices and quality service.

The relative lack of flame wars. I get sick and tired of people sniping at each other to expand their ego in other forums. It just doesn't seem to happen here.

Oh, and my sig attracts audiences from far and wide ;)

Have I sucked up enough to get a discount on my latest impending order yet? :D

Man of Honour
I think there's good interaction between members, especially regulars. It's not just a case of a username, you normally get to know quite a lot about the other member's lives and so on. There's stuff I've told OcUK'ers that I haven't told any of my real life mates.

Not many posts go unanswered, and there is a ridiculously diverse range of knowledge on offer due to the sheer range of members we have - from students to doctors to soldiers.

I'm very happy about the current moderating team, I don't think anyone realises how involved the whole process of doing it right actually is until they try it for themselves.

Spie is a pretty top notch bloke to "work" for - I'll certainly never forget the Donny Do, and neither will my stomach ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom