Winter 2023/24 - It's FREEZING!

Caporegime
Sky news:
Angus is in the middle of a "very serious emergency", the council has said, with rescue crews taking 100 calls from areas asked to evacuate yesterday.

Parts of Brechin and increasingly other areas in the local authority "are now only accessible via boat", it said in a statement.

Scotland's First Minister Humza Yousaf said he "cannot stress how dangerous condition are in Brechin", adding that he expects the situation to worsen.

Brechin

Brechin
The council asked bosses to consider not making residents attend work, with flooding levels half a metre above the highest ever recorded in the area.

"Angus is in the middle of a very serious emergency. Flooding is unprecedented," said the council.

"If you think you are in danger of flooding, please don't leave it too late."

Rivers have risen 4.4 metres above normal levels, according to the council.
The council shouldn’t have to ask bosses, the Scottish government should just impose it on them.

Going to work in this lol

Soldato
Three dead now apparently. :(
I think for all the moaning we are quite lucky where we live weather wise considering what a lot of other countries face.

Very much this. Although I've known the area of brechin being flooded before but not anything like this. There's part of the wall next to the bridge / Brigend pub that's collapsed onto the road as well so that'll be extra repair work on top of everything else

Edit.

Things shopwise are worse than the ******* hoarders at the start of COVID. Shelves are pretty sparse cos the road from Dundee to stonehaven are closed cos of the flooding so no delivery vehicles are getting through. The Tesco garage was shut possibly down to power being off but possibly because they've run out of stuff. Coop was pretty sparse. Farmfoods milk and bread were all out. Not sure about lidls though. Could be another couple of days before anything gets through.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My daughter was supposed to be coming back from York to Surey this evening. Sadly her train was cancelled. I took a look at a video taken by someone in nearby Whitby and holy moley the sea is rough.

Soldato
How anyone can like winter in the UK I have no idea.

I get people don't like 30c.. (even though I still think you're crazy! :D. )
But this? This is our Autumn/Winter now.

It doesn't really get cold much. Gone is the cold crisp dry mornings we used to get. This damp, cold, dingy weather is the norm.

November December and January are my least favourite months of the year.
Swings and roundabouts under a cosy duvet in bed hearing the wind and rain outside, lovely. Nice roaring fire, lovely. Not that I have one mind. At least this weather keeps the kids indoors so they're not screaming their heads off outside my window and the neighbours are keeping their feral kids in! Very quiet mornings nowadays, lovely.

Back
Top Bottom