Winter 2023/24 - It's FREEZING!

Caporegime
Let's have a look at this upcoming winter shall we and into 2024!

Some charts I've grabbed from netweather etc

(High pressure looks to be rather dominant to our north/greenland)

image-png-96a682454775e3a1d7e316dd1e5774d7.png

Weather forecasts

Europe is expected to have warmer-than-average temperatures over most of the western and central parts of the continent. Colder temperatures will be more defined in the northern and northeastern parts of the continent.

This means that the main circulation mode over Europe will be from north to south, meaning a northerly flow over Europe. The potential snowfall scenarios over central Europe will be bound to the intensity of the northerly flow and individual cold fronts coming down from the north.

The models are not in 100% agreement over the pattern in the North Atlantic. The main key is the positioning and strength of a potential high-pressure zone over Iceland/Greenland relative to the North American pattern.

Precipitation-wise, more precipitation is expected over central and southern Europe. The snowfall forecast shows less snowfall over Europe, despite more precipitation, except for the higher elevations.

- To early to tell what way the weather is going for this Winter, but already it's completely different than last year in terms of Summer into Autumn with the Jet Stream being a lot further south than normal.

Caporegime
OP
I'm looking forward to seeing what the models say so I can laugh when they're terribly, terribly wrong :cry:

I'm more hopeful this Winter to be honest, there has been a serious lack of "SUMMER" for this part of the world, even if most of the west had a heatwave in June. It's been a bit meh all the way through July and August bar the odd humid day!
Will be keeping an eye on Ice and Snow development throughout the months ahead

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
First, looking at the seasonal average for Europe, we can see another weak snowfall forecast identical to the ECMWF. Most of the continent is forecast to have less snowfall than normal, except for some central and northern parts.

:(

Caporegime
OP
This is really something now. What a signal we have. As @northwestsnow has alluded to the ecm has quadrupled down on its major -NAO / euro trough combo. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This is the strongest, most consistent signal for a cold winter pattern I’ve seen since 2010. Not sure why so many people come on to this thread to say long Range forecasting is pointless. It’s low skill yes but a signal is a signal and this one is strong.

Like that deep blue over the NE Pacific. Makes a change to the dreaded red blob we have got used to seeing on the winter output.

The -NAO signature looks good here and at least it looks like it isn't west based.

Its also clear to see the EP El Nino signature here with the blues in the eastern tropical Pacific and the oranges over the western Pacific and Indonesia.
Well this is certainly getting my attention now!!thats a few updates in a row where ecm has shown a very cold and snowy winter!!!this september update is the strongest signal yet!!!thanks for the update @northwestsnow❄️!!!!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Heating??? You mean extra layers? What is this "heating" you speak of?

Thankfully I currently live "Down South", I havnt used "heating" in 2 years I have been here. Dorset actually has its benefits! I havnt had to use my desk fan in a couple of days its been mint!

Depends on the property and it's rating! Mine was F so needed heating. Now it's rated C so I should need less heating with all the improvements made :)

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Our heating only kicks in if we set the thermostat. Currently it sits on the bottom stop so will not kick in automatically.

Pity about the spelling.

Yep I've got a Thermostat for the new Storage Heaters now, something I haven't had for years! So will be interesting to see how they do this winter :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Wednesday 1 Nov - Wednesday 15 Nov

The majority of the period seems likely to be dominated by Atlantic depressions, bringing wet and windy conditions to the southwest and west. Although, spells of high pressure may bring some longer drier interludes than earlier in the period. Rainfall may be higher than average in the south and southwest at first but as the period progresses more seasonal weather patterns of wet in west, drier in east will dominate. Temperatures are more likely to be above average, but perhaps trending closer to normal. Cooler later into November when blocking high pressure and easterlies are more likely. That said, as temperatures fall, particularly over the near continent, any winds from this direction may bring colder spells as the month progresses - perhaps more likely in northern and eastern areas.

Haven't had a blocking high with ever decreasing temps from the east in November for a long time!

Caporegime
OP
Okay, it's time to take a stab at LRF for winter 2023-24:

I am expecting a better than average chance of snow and cold episodes due to somewhat elevated blocking potential, and this will apply to all segments of winter. I don't foresee a blockbuster top ten sort of outcome (even 2009-10 was barely close to that anyway) but it could be a "reasonable" winter like perhaps 2011-12 was, with one or two memorable spells.

No doubt in this climate regime there are bound to be some milder spells in the mix so I would not be looking for CET values much better than 0.5 to 1.0 below recent normals or around 1961-1990 normals. I have the feeling that many would settle for this given the generally poor performance of many recent winters.

One factor that encourages me is the type of El Nino expected, which has similarities to 2009-10. Another factor is that most if not all regions of North America look set for a mild Pacific-dominated winter, which can be correlated with European cold (on the principle that it cannot be above normal in all regions of the hemisphere at the same time). Interior western regions of NA could see persistent high pressure leading to inversion cold locally.

Another encouraging factor is that July was cool, and a third significant index is a high lunar declination range (near its peak of 29 deg) which is correlated with blocking and high amplitude ridge-trough formations (Bryson, 1950; Lamb, 1975, as cited in Lamb's work, verified in my research).

In terms of actual spells of weather, I would be looking for best blocking potential around full moons (when lunar declination is in its highest range of values). Of course you could get on the wrong side of a block and see it turning very mild, but with any luck some colder blocking patterns will emerge around full moons which occur near the ends of each month in winter 2023-24. The actual northern declination max will be after full moon in Nov, concurrent in Dec, and earlier in Jan-Feb. A particularly stormy signal would be associated with the opposite end of this lunar declination cycle, new moons around 10th to mid-months.

Let's revisit this in April, but I would expect the verdict on winter 2023-24 to be, a mixture of all sorts of weather patterns with a better than average performance for cold and snow. Parts of Scotland could be very cold in this pattern as the storm track will often be closer to southern England. I would expect Wales, midlands and East Anglia to do well for snowfall, as well as onshore flow into Yorkshire and northeast England.

A caveat would be that any heavy falls of snow are likely to melt rapidly leading to elevated flood potential, also I would not be surprised if there were heavy rainfalls with some events, also leading to flood potential.

Ireland may be closer to frontal boundaries in general and could see a lot of mixed precip zones and foggy, cool spells that may be more sunny or clear further east.

The outcome I would least expect would be anticyclonic and dry as we saw in some recent winter months but that could develop in late February or march as the declination peaks move away from tidal peaks and induce a lower energy multi-cycle regime.

Back
Top Bottom