World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I was about to put my AW up for sale with a view to buy the G8 but then realised the G8 has fewer features that are actually useful and more features that are useless for me :/

No USB hub, only 2 USB-C ports, that's useless! I often use all 4 USB-A 3.1 ports on my AW and use the bottom ports for quick connections for thumbdrives or to charge something when the other cables on the desk are in use since the right side bottom port outputs a higher current for charging purposes. At least my work laptop has a USB-C port so charging, data and everything else is done via that, but then I'd need a USB hub to plug in the Bolt dongle for my mouse/KB and USB mic since the G8 has no USB-A ports....

Sod it I'll just keep the AW and file another replacement when this burns in before the warranty is fully up lol. The low resonance hum has slightly lessened as it turns out, maybe the fan bearings needed to bed in or something I don't know, still audible though as they all are if you have a PC that;s quieter than a laptop like mine is. The sheer comedy that my monitor is louder than my high end gaming PC is quite something.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I was about to put my AW up for sale with a view to buy the G8 but then realised the G8 has fewer features that are actually useful and more features that are useless for me :/

No USB hub, only 2 USB-C ports, that's useless! I often use all 4 USB-A 3.1 ports on my AW and use the bottom ports for quick connections for thumbdrives or to charge something when the other cables on the desk are in use since the right side bottom port outputs a higher current for charging purposes. At least my work laptop has a USB-C port so charging, data and everything else is done via that, but then I'd need a USB hub to plug in the Bolt dongle for my mouse/KB and USB mic since the G8 has no USB-A ports....

Sod it I'll just keep the AW and file another replacement when this burns in before the warranty is fully up lol. The low resonance hum has slightly lessened as it turns out, maybe the fan bearings needed to bed in or something I don't know, still audible though as they all are if you have a PC that;s quieter than a laptop like mine is. The sheer comedy that my monitor is louder than my high end gaming PC is quite something.

Common sense prevails :p

Never! :p. When I went from TN to IPS the change was somewhat big but also a downgrade as TN has always been faster. This though.. f me. nothing but an upgrade across the board.

Damn right. Now get yourself an RTX card and you are golden :p;)

Kidding not kidding :p:D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Been using 175Hz which will delight @Nexus18 :p

Just doing normal things to see if this Rev A09 noticeably flickers like the previous ones did at the same refresh. if it does not then I will stay on 175Hz. Visually there's no difference betwene 8 and 10-bit for gradients/banding or gaming with or without HDR (at least on Nvidia cards anyway lol).

Caporegime
Been using 175Hz which will delight @Nexus18 :p

Just doing normal things to see if this Rev A09 noticeably flickers like the previous ones did at the same refresh. if it does not then I will stay on 175Hz. Visually there's no difference betwene 8 and 10-bit for gradients/banding or gaming with or without HDR (at least on Nvidia cards anyway lol).

Did tell you that Vincent and badass from tftcentral, pcmonitors.info etc. did say this all along :p

Ever since the firmware update, I can't notice any flickering in the scenes it used to bother me with, which was mainly just dark grey scenes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ok so at 175Hz I have now noticed the flickering, editing in Lightroom when suddenly as I zoom in I can see the Gsync indicator and the grey BG VRR flickerss :/

Back to 144Hz 10-bit then.

Edit*

At 144Hz in extreme grey edits the VRR is also there but less so, at 120Hz it's gone. VRR flicker will be the end of me!

Seems though if I change refresh whilst Lightroom is still open then the flicker doesn't happen even at 175Hz and the Gsync indicator is no longer popping up when zooming in LR. This seems to be a rendering thing with Lightroom and Photoshop which we knew about from before anyway but I didn't notice the Gsync indicator before whereas I do now. If I disable Gsync then at there is no flicker at any refresh rate obviously but then I lose VRR....

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol. That's why I just stick to 144hz. It is more than fast enough for me and I have yet to see flicker since the firmware upgrade. Still though, I would rather the odd flicker here and there in game menus than go back to IPS.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So I've been asked by [a brand] if I'd like to test out an upcoming gaming monitor, no idea if it's OLED or not but I recall hearing a rumour about something OLED, so consider my interest gonads perking up :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I doubt it will be tbf as I can't find any new info, only a mini LED one that had DisplayHDR 1000. Although they say it's an unannounced model so could well be a completely new one not yet in the rumour mill.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Alright so they now offered a 34" ultrawide with 180Hz....

VA panel :/

It's priced at budget end though so can't knock it for the circa £240 it costs, will get it in and base it on its merits as a budget gaming monitor, free monitor :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom