WoW Legacy Server (if only)

Soldato
Would love if they came up with a Vanilla/TBC server from Blizzard.

I quit from retail a few times, the last expansion was a huge disappointment and the next one sounds awful so have no intention of going back.

I played Nost for a good few months and it was fun, it felt like Vanilla WoW, the main difference was pretty much everyone was a WoW veteran which could be a good and bad thing.

I agree that if a small group of volunteers can pull it off surely Blizzard can easily manage it, there is obviously money to be made... Whether or not it will happen is another thing. I jsut hope they don't try coming up with something half hearted giving people the impression of what they want but not full Vanilla servers.

Man of Honour
I'd love a chance to play on an official Blizzard vanilla server... however I'd probably quickly realise just how much time it took (for me) to get to 60... was a long time, being a resto druid and spending most of my time in caster form :o

I'd probably choose a better class. I just don't have the time/inclination 10+ years on to do that now.

Soldato
I'm all for this but I think it wouldn't be as huge as some think. I was watching a Diablo video comparing D2 and D3 and it had some really good points about the old style of play compared to now. It can easily be related to WoW

Video below for anyone interested

Soldato
Back to the days of BC or WotLK would get me back. Even Cataclysm compared to whats on offer now, but I'd rather just have them start again. Original mechanics requiring guilds, interaction and dependant on skills and understand and give it upgraded graphics and a little added content.

Unfortunately they keep making stuff people buy and it keeps funding them. While that happens, they'll just continue on.

Associate
OP
Quite a long post incoming, Meeting report by the Nostalrius guys was posted yesterday.

Dear community,

Last Friday, Blizzard hosted the Nostalrius core team members at their campus in Irvine - California in order to discuss about the petition, the legacy community & realms for World of Warcraft. This all happened because of your engagement through the petition (it did matter whatever some people may think) and the fact that we worked hard for years for you, the community, and not for any financial reward. We wanted to share with you our feedback regarding this meeting.

1. Core team Nostalrius

The following people from our core team had been invited to the Blizzard campus:

Daemon - Administrator and Dev team manager
Viper - Administrator and project manager
Tyrael - GM team manager
Nano - IsVV (testing) team manager
Ithlien - Nostalrius assistant manager

2. Meeting preparation

We had worked hard during the previous month, and especially the last week when we were in Irvine, night & day during vacation without really leaving our hotel room. The goal was to provide them with quality feedback from our community and the Nostalrius experience.

We wrote a complete report of several dozen pages (Post Mortem), prepared a presentation, prepared several slides, went through the survey results, analyzed Nostalrius server data, answered journalists questions and kept you updated through social media in addition to our current respective jobs & families: it was a tough month.

3. The meeting

A few Blizzard & World of Warcraft executives were present, as well as people responsible for the WoW community:

Mike Morhaime - CEO
J. Allen Brack - Executive Producer for WoW
Tom Chilton - Game Director for WoW
Ion Hazzikostas - Assistant Game Director for WoW
Marco Koegler - Technical Director for WoW
Saralyn Smith - Global Director of Community Development
Kester Robison - Manager of WoW Community Development
Vanessa Vanasin - PR Manager for WoW
Randy Jordan - Blizzard Community Manager

We went through the following topics:

Project story, including WoW emulation history
Community analysis through survey and Nostalrius data
Internal structure presentation, and how a volunteer-based team could create something like Nostalrius
Technical details about the server architecture we designed to handle our high population
Presentation of the GM team organization
Technical insight on a part of the anti cheat system we conceived
A quality report of the state of the project, remaining bugs
Questions and Answers portion

When Blizzard initially proposed this discussion several weeks ago, we were anxious that it would be a simple PR / damage mitigation move. It is now clear to us that this wasn’t the case.

First of all, people at key positions inside Blizzard attended the meeting. They were also all very interested, curious, attentive, and asked a lot of questions about all of the topics we mentioned: the presentation was meant to last less than 2 hours, and we finished after more than 5 hours! Finally, we were very surprised about the deep respect and admiration they all had for what we had accomplished and what the community has built around legacy WoW servers.

We were all World of Warcraft players: a large part of our community had played WoW on retail at some point. This meeting was a first step toward establishing a trustful relationship between the Nostalrius and Blizzard dev teams, a beginning for the reconciliation between legacy players and Blizzard that we are all aiming for. As proof, J. Allen Brack himself made sure that we were not under any NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), contrary to what the case is for all of the campus visitors usually.

A second surprise for us was the amount of dedication these guys have. All of them started playing WoW during Vanilla, they went through the same experience as you and us, did the same mistakes and killed the same bosses. In the last part of the meeting, as we presented in detail the remaining class/raid bugs, they knew exactly about the spells/talents we were mentioning, every quest we spoke about, raid bosses abilities and even remembered vanilla item changes through patches!

In a sense, they are also Vanilla World of Warcraft fans and one of the game developers said at a point that WoW belongs to gaming history and agreed that it should be playable again, at least for the sake of game preservation, and he would definitely enjoy playing again.

After this meeting, we can affirm that these guys WANT to have legacy WoW servers, that is for sure. We did everything we could to make this presentation & discussion as professional as possible, which was something that clearly was a pleasant unexpected surprise for the whole Blizzard team, Mike Morhaime included.

4. Why didn’t they give us a definitive answer?

First of all, don’t forget that, in a big company, nothing can be decided in one meeting and they have the right to announce any official yes or no themselves.

As they shared with us technical details, we would like to give you some information on that topic, as you deserve to know what the “tremendous work” is.

First, they DO have the source code for Vanilla WoW. Code version control systems are not something new, as it has been a standard in the industry for a long time. With these systems, they can retrieve the code at any given previous backup date.

However, in order to generate the server (and the client), a complex build system is being used. It is not just about generating the “WoW.exe” and “Server.exe” files. The build process takes data, models, maps, etc. created by Blizzard and also generates client and server specific files. The client only has the information it needs and the server only has the information that it needs.

This means that before re-launching vanilla realms, all of the data needed for the build processes has to be gathered in one place with the code. Not all of this information was under a version control system. In the end, whichever of these parts were lost at any point, they will have to be recreated: this is likely to take a lot of resources through a long development process.

In addition to the technical aspects of releasing a legacy server Blizzard also needs to provide a very polished game that will be available to their millions of players, something existing unofficial legacy servers cannot provide.

5. Conclusion

To sum up, the good surprise of the meeting was the level of engagement of all these Blizzard people toward making legacy servers a reality. The down side is the technical difficulty it will take to reach our objective. Blizzard is now well aware of the amount of players willing to play legacy servers, something which wasn’t the case until Nostalrius shutdown.

This meeting with Blizzard was the accomplishment of the petition you signed and of your unexpected level of engagement. We expressed your thoughts and voices the best we could and we saw that Blizzard listened really carefully. We hope that we will hear from them soon, and will keep you updated: this meeting isn’t an end point for us, more like a milestone.

J. Allen expressed his will to keep in touch, and the whole Nostalrius team would be excited to work further in this process that could bring back legacy servers.

We still have things to provide to the community, so stay tuned !

Best regards,
Nostalrius Begins Team.

Link for those who want to see the full post + images.

Soldato
Rose tinted glasses. I have very very fond memories of vanilla WoW but that's what they will remain as, memories.

Whilst a lot of the current WoW is very far removed from vanilla there is a LOT of stuff which improves quality of life on the whole. More of the content is more accessible for more of the people.

Associate
Way to throw their toys out the pram when they did not hear what they wanted to at Blizzcon eh?

Nice self sabotage.

Can't say I blame them, Blizzard sabotaged it themselves by ignoring them completely since the meetings they attended.

They made repeated attempts to contact Blizzard several times following the sit down meeting with Blizzard - they even offered to help and send further information on how best to achieve this and they heard nothing back.

Besides, there's a lot of people wanting this and if Blizzard are too stubborn to provide it, well then all power to those that will.

It's not all about nostalgia and rose tinted glasses either, many of those asking for this have played vanilla wow in recent years (including me) and loved it - even those who play the current live version.

Heck I used to work for Blizzard at one time (WoW CS during vanilla/Burning Crusade) and think they've really dropped the ball here.

Man of Honour
So why do they think this won't get shut down like Nostalrius?

According to them, they were never shutdown. It was asked on their site why wont Elysium just get shutdown too, the response from the Nost folks was that Blizzard never shut down Nostalrius, that all Blizzard had done was sent a cease and desist letter and that Nost decided to voluntarily shutdown as a gesture of goodwill in order to facilitate official talks with Blizzard about legacy servers. Blizzard agreed to the talks and Nostalrius documented and made public the results of those talks. Then Blizzard appeared to drop the idea and so the Nostalrius guys went ahead and released their source to Elysium and have aided in bringing Nostalrius back. According to their response to that question, the possibility of Blizzard being able to forcibly shutdown Nostalrius france based servers was always exceptionally small and as such this time (given that they see Blizzards apparent backdown on a vanilla server as them turning their back on the idea and reason for the voluntary shutdown of Nostalrius) , that this time they will refuse to shutdown if Blizzard send a similar C&D

Soldato
According to them, they were never shutdown. It was asked on their site why wont Elysium just get shutdown too, the response from the Nost folks was that Blizzard never shut down Nostalrius, that all Blizzard had done was sent a cease and desist letter and that Nost decided to voluntarily shutdown as a gesture of goodwill in order to facilitate official talks with Blizzard about legacy servers. Blizzard agreed to the talks and Nostalrius documented and made public the results of those talks. Then Blizzard appeared to drop the idea and so the Nostalrius guys went ahead and released their source to Elysium and have aided in bringing Nostalrius back. According to their response to that question, the possibility of Blizzard being able to forcibly shutdown Nostalrius france based servers was always exceptionally small and as such this time (given that they see Blizzards apparent backdown on a vanilla server as them turning their back on the idea and reason for the voluntary shutdown of Nostalrius) , that this time they will refuse to shutdown if Blizzard send a similar C&D

Dude, post of the month.

Back
Top Bottom