• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Honestly don't blame you at this point. Announcements are allegedly starting this evening via a special edition of the Xbox podcast 8PM GMT.

It's looking like something is going on multiplatform wise as with things that have previously been exclusive e.g. hifi rush, but given the acquisitions is no huge surprise some previously exclusive titles will be shared around. Nintendo have a reveal around the same time tonight too so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can see Sony and Nintendo really taking advantage of the physical market if Xbox go digital only.
Don’t think physical side of games will be impacted by whatever Microsoft officially unviel

Writing on the wall for physical media wether some like it or not

Associate
Don’t think physical side of games will be impacted by whatever Microsoft officially unviel

Writing on the wall for physical media wether some like it or not

Agreed. Sony et al, want a digital only platform as it allows them complete control pricing/availability of games. I still think Nintendo will offer physical games, though, providing they persist with a cartridge slot on the forthcoming Switch successor.

Associate
I was surprised how low key the announcement Diablo 4 coming to game pass was in the business stream today, seemed to be oh yeah now lets move on
To be fair, I think most of the people who wanted to play it already have .... it's struggling for player retention right now. I don't think putting it on Games Pass will entice many more. But if the expansions come to Game Pass then that will bring some players back.

Associate
Benji-Sales on Twitter summed it up quite well:
  • 4 Games coming to Switch / PS5
  • Diablo IV Game Pass on March 28th
  • 34 Million Game Pass Subs
  • "No fundamental change to exclusivity"
  • Game Pass only on Xbox / PC
  • Game Pass still gets Games Day 1
  • Next-gen Xbox in development
Probably as expected a bit of a PR response without any tough questions being asked. But maybe the questions part comes later.

Soldato
Phil Spencer has announced that gamepass now has 34 million subscribers

The days of Xbox exclusivity could be coming to close. The following four games are the first 1st party games coming to PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch, and ecen though the official line is that nothing has changed, it has actually changed and Phil says more games could follow their way to competitor platforms

Hi-Fi Rush
Pentiment
Sea Of Thieves
Grounded

During the event, Phil and Sarah reiterated that Microsoft still wants to make hardware gaming machines and will have a console next generation, they stated:

* Xbox is still looking at potentially making a handheld machine

* A Refreshed Xbox Series console is coming this year and refreshed accessories like new controllers as well

* Xbox will have a console next generation and it's already in development. Sarah says they want the leap to next gen to be larger than the leap for any previous Xbox

Last edited:
Soldato
I found Sarah's statement that she wants next gen to be the largest leap yet interesting

Here is some previous leaps

Xbox OG to Xbox 360: 10x increase in raw throughput

Xbox 360 to Xbox One: 5x increase in raw throughput

Xbox One to One X: 4x increase in raw throughput

One X to Series X: 2x increase in raw throughput

You can see the trend here, but Sarah says she wants next gen to be the biggest. For that to be the case the next Xbox will need to be more than 10x in throughput

Now of course Sarah was not specific with these statements and she may be referring to the Series S and not the X. If that is the case then to achieve an 11x in throughput would require a a 44tflop machine, which would only be 3.6x more throughput than the Series X. Where as an 11x increase on the X would require a 132tflop machine, so we are talking about very different ideas here, the difference between a 44tflop and 132tflop console is huge.

Nevertheless even if the next gen Xbox is only 44tflops, that would still be 3.6x more than the Seriea X, which is greater than the 2x we got from the One X to Series X

Last edited:
Associate
I found Sarah's statement that she wants next gen to be the largest leap yet interesting

Here is some previous leaps

Xbox OG to Xbox 360: 10x increase in raw throughput

Xbox 360 to Xbox One: 5x increase in raw throughput

Xbox One to One X: 4x increase in raw throughput

One X to Series X: 2x increase in raw throughput

You can see the trend here, but Sarah says she wants next gen to be the biggest. For that to be the case the next Xbox will need to be more than 10x in throughput

Now of course Sarah was not specific with these statements and she may be referring to the Series S and not the X. If that is the case then to achieve an 11x in throughput would require a a 44tflop machine, which would only be 3.6x more throughput than the Series X. Where as an 11x increase on the X would require a 132tflop machine, so we are talking about very different ideas here, the difference between a 44tflop and 132tflop console is huge

That might be the case, but imo the image quality from the 360 to the one wasn't a huge leap although noticeable, however the smoothness and image quality from the one to the series X is worlds apart.

I've got games from all 3 and my son regularly bounces between them on the series X as he likes them, it's interesting to travel through the different era's on 1 console

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I've always liked Phil Spencer but he seemed nervous and not particularly comfortable, making me think u-turns may have been made, or he's just not happy with the direction?

Soldato
The only ones that built anything up was the usual outlets and idiots online saying the same thing every damn time " Xbox is going to stop making hardware blah blah blah" every single time like clock work.
8fznlr.jpg

Soldato
To be fair, I think most of the people who wanted to play it already have .... it's struggling for player retention right now. I don't think putting it on Games Pass will entice many more. But if the expansions come to Game Pass then that will bring some players back.
I played it on PS and it got a bit dull tbh. If I could use my save file i might dive back in but start again? No thanks

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Tbh Phil needs to go.

Microsoft have gone backwards since the Xbox 360 and most of that is to do with the quality and quantity of games released.

I think it's more of a generational thing, I've not seen huge leaps in anything Sony/Playstation have done either, Nintendo on the other hand have taken big risks that have paid off pretty well.

Soldato
Tbh Phil needs to go.

Microsoft have gone backwards since the Xbox 360 and most of that is to do with the quality and quantity of games released.
Where have the key series gone?

Whats going on with Gears for eg. Halo, it came out ages ago, whats next for that series or is it shelved for a while. They've slept on the likes of Fable aswell.

Soldato
I think it's more of a generational thing, I've not seen huge leaps in anything Sony/Playstation have done either, Nintendo on the other hand have taken big risks that have paid off pretty well.
It isnt what they have done more what they will do. I agree, i havent seen anything big from Playstation so farbut they have some absolutely massive IPs and studios. Microsoft have dropped the ball massively.

Associate

Yeah playstation have dropped the ball a bit, but what they have produced in terms of games have been mostly ok/good.

Microsoft however with their abundance of studios appear to have produced not very much and what they have released has been rather underwhelming.

It's almost like they didn't have a plan to start with..

Nintendo at least release games people want to play and relatively regularly (up until recently, everyone is convinced they are getting ready to release switch 2)and on out dated hardware, I know Nintendo are niche in what they do and the product they have seems to have hit the spot, but does feel like Microsoft and Xbox are sleeping walking a bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom