Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
I saw someone with modified headlights the other day, the bright spark put red LED lights in the headlight cluster. Very clever.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Didn't see exactly what happened but waiting at lights today, brand new kitted out pickup coming the other way barely missed me, then tried to turn into a garage/dealer a few cars behind me and messed up the turn, reversed partly into the drive opposite and I think embedded the tow hook into the bumper of an expensive looking BMW then ripped it off as they went forward and then hit something else I couldn't see, possibly one of the cars waiting in the queue behind me.

Soldato
Thought you guys would appreciate this, I went into hull on Saturday for a meal out with the Mrs. When we were leaving, while waiting for the lights to turn green, saw the usual amount of traffic, then ours went green as a couple of cars shot through. We thought just another couple of people running a red, then saw a copper turn his lights on and flag the last one down. We were laughing quite a lot :cry: .

Soldato
What I find annoying is the lack of decoupling between auto headlights and the auto-dipping feature, as the headlights coming on automatically I find useful, but nothing I've driven so far has an ideal implementation of auto-dipping - though most systems rarely fail to dip appropriately for other traffic there is too many false positives and several vehicles I've driven the main beam when on auto doesn't come on straight away when you manually push the stalk forward! but waits until the system has analysed the scene which can result in anything from almost immediately on to several seconds delay, which is a massive fail in my opinion and amazed it ever made it to retail.

I hate the auto main beam/dipping or whatever it is supposed to be on the Niro, it seems really janky (or I just don't know how to use it properly). I can't find any way to turn it disable it, and they're just too slow to react, so I have to push the stalk twice to put it into manual mode :(

Man of Honour
Thought you guys would appreciate this, I went into hull on Saturday for a meal out with the Mrs. When we were leaving, while waiting for the lights to turn green, saw the usual amount of traffic, then ours went green as a couple of cars shot through. We thought just another couple of people running a red, then saw a copper turn his lights on and flag the last one down. We were laughing quite a lot :cry: .

I was having dinner with some friends/acquaintances recently and the talk got onto the subject and there were several people who were like "what is the big deal if you can see it is clear"!!! (and were serious not on a wind up - as in they would go if no one else was visibly moving through the lights even if waiting to go) and several who said they'd tag onto the end of the queue if the lights went red but people were still going through i.e. at roadworks - wouldn't do it myself but bit of a different situation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I love to see it. You don't have a dashcam by any chance?

Soldato
Urgh... As soon as I get to the Leicester Forest services sign like flicking a switch driving standards drop through the floor.

Cruise control on I catch a car, probably with a good 10 mph speed difference. I pull out to overtake, as I'm level they match my speed. They then spend the next mile or so speeding up and slowing down but never fully clearing the side of my car so I can pull in front or behind them. Cue rage flash from the car now up my chuff... Who 10 minutes ago I'd passed while they were going about 60 in the middle lane who now wants to go at 90....

I had this so many times last night, only two of which got me a rage flash (both of which I'd passed dawdling along in the middle lane previously).

Also makes me laugh when you activate a zombie driver in lane 2 or 3 who are just dawdling along at 60, no other cars around, but as soon as you get near they pick up their speed by 20 mph or more. It's completely baffling.

Man of Honour
Urgh... As soon as I get to the Leicester Forest services sign like flicking a switch driving standards drop through the floor.

Cruise control on I catch a car, probably with a good 10 mph speed difference. I pull out to overtake, as I'm level they match my speed. They then spend the next mile or so speeding up and slowing down but never fully clearing the side of my car so I can pull in front or behind them. Cue rage flash from the car now up my chuff... Who 10 minutes ago I'd passed while they were going about 60 in the middle lane who now wants to go at 90....

I had this so many times last night, only two of which got me a rage flash (both of which I'd passed dawdling along in the middle lane previously).

Also makes me laugh when you activate a zombie driver in lane 2 or 3 who are just dawdling along at 60, no other cars around, but as soon as you get near they pick up their speed by 20 mph or more. It's completely baffling.

Drives me up the wall on a daily basis - in some cases people are doing it due to driving very distracted by conversation either with a passenger or on the phone and not aware, even if they cared, the impact on other road users.

Man of Honour
There are some very special people out there :s caught up behind a van which was doing 20-40MPH in a 30 for no real rhyme or reason and while I was behind it up to 50 in NSL except one place where an overtaking opportunity opened up when they started accelerating as if to deny me but then a vehicle appeared the other way anyhow and they slowed down, meanwhile another car caught up behind me and was tailgating me excessively... chance came up to overtake, not a great one but safe enough, and took it and the van laid on their horn at me and then mysteriously was quite capable of keeping up with me doing the speed limit (60MPH) the rest of the way until they took a different road at which point the tailgater was back behind me :( (strangely enough from what I could see in the rear view they didn't seem to be tailgating the van anything like as much as they were me although the van had sped up by that point).

Beats me why people can't just drive normally.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love to see it. You don't have a dashcam by any chance?
Unfortunately not, as it's a model 3 and you have to press the button or bib the horn to record. Is a bit annoying tbh, I've got a 500gb HDD in there so id prefer to record more (especially as the quality isn't fantastic so shouldn't take up much room).
Me, the Mrs and my daughter found it funny, bit of karma.
^its worrying so many people think steaming through a red is acceptable, I've gone though a couple of amber's but only because they had literally changed when I'm a metre away. Red is normally a couple of seconds after that. Did wonder what sort of fine they'd get, consensus at work was maybe 6 points and upto a grand.

Soldato
Somebody clearly wasn't paying attention

Spotted this on my commute home.

Under the car/truck there are painted lines guiding you out and away from the bollard

oJtyG8i.png

Soldato

I think its a mental/psychological thing as I have actually tested it out and it happens 90% of the time.

If you pass someone quick, nothing really happens. If you start passing slowly on their right then I think what happens is that the person sees something creeping up in their peripheral vision as your car just comes into their sight (your bonnet is level with their wing mirror kind of area)... If you then hold there or continue to pass very very slowly, it appears to trigger some kind of response which makes them accelerate. Almost like some kind of flight response to a "danger"

Seriously, try it next time and see

Man of Honour
Somebody clearly wasn't paying attention

Worryingly I see stuff like that happening far too often especially since the pandemic, makes me concerned as to how little attention they must be paying in general, albeit we can all get caught out, etc. at times.

If you pass someone quick, nothing really happens. If you start passing slowly on their right then I think what happens is that the person sees something creeping up in their peripheral vision as your car just comes into their sight (your bonnet is level with their wing mirror kind of area)... If you then hold there or continue to pass very very slowly, it appears to trigger some kind of response which makes them accelerate. Almost like some kind of flight response to a "danger"

Personally I always try to pass someone quickly - drives me up the wall when you see people just sitting there doing like 1 MPH faster as they pass someone and then either pull in front of them and slow down, or pull in front of them and then take off... just leaving me going WTF. Or they sit there below the speed limit taking forever to pass another vehicle which is barely going slower than them, then pull over once they've finished the overtake, but once you put your foot down to pass them they are suddenly keeping up with you, or nearly doing so, suddenly doing a reasonable speed...

Last edited:
Soldato
Nearly got wiped out by a Tesla Y at the weekend.

I was cruising on dual carrigeway, fast lane. Tesla merged off the slip road and just tried to head straight into the fast lane, currently occupied by me, without looking.

Had a full car at the time, passengers woke up when I stood on the brakes and horn.

Silly cow waved an apology then tore off up the road and tailgated the next car.

Shortly after a couple of tossers in Porsche/Audi penis extensions tore past at 100+. Was kinda hoping they'd have a run in with the dozy Tesla driver. Alas.....

Soldato
I think its a mental/psychological thing as I have actually tested it out and it happens 90% of the time.

Seriously, try it next time and see
I get what you mean. I've also found that if you come up relatively close to the car you are overtaking before moving out this happens far less.

Unfortunately in my car the adaptive cruise is super cautious so it will start slowing you down way before you catch up with the car in front so I tend to have to pull out quite early. Shame I can't toggle it between normal and adaptive cruise really but that would have cost Seat an extra button or something :rolleyes:

What I don't get is why such a large proportion of people don't use cruise / speed limiters when pretty much all cars have one or both?

Soldato
A few particularly crazy ones recently....

Number 1, coming down a residential road and a woman in a new Kia saloon comes out of a side turning without looking whatsoever. I slammed on the brakes and heard a bang but wasn't sure if I'd hit her or not. Got out to check and luckily there was about 5cm of space between my bumper and door, so the bang was just the wheel I had in the boot sliding forward and hitting divider between the boot and the passenger compartment. I think when she got out she must have thought I was going to attack her or something so she backed up and drove away as I was looking at my bumper. No big deal I thought, but when I got to the highway I ended up passing her, at which point she pulled her phone out and started chasing me, god knows why. I soon lost her as I can drive like an "urban youth" from Bradford in a Golf R when I have to, but the whole thing was definitely a good reminder of how crazy some people are.

Number 2 didn't involve me, brand new Bronco Raptor came flying onto the dual carriageway, weaving in and out of traffic causing people to swerve / brake until he sideswiped a Toyota Sienna. Both cars kept driving although there was a fair bit of damage to the side of the Sienna, not sure why the Sienna didn't stop at least.

Number 3 also didn't involve me, this time it was a black Lamborghini Urus being driven by a young blonde girl, no plates on it, being followed by two guys in an armored Suburban with police lights on the front. She was clearly in a hurry and the Suburban was trying to push other cars out of the way so she could get through, the driver was pretty good in fairness but she didn't have a clue what she was doing so they only ended up a few cars in front of me and I was driving normally.

Number 4 sadly did involve me. An Italian woman in a new Explorer scraped my bumper in a car park. In fairness to her, she was very apologetic and was truthful to her insurance, although they're now predictably dragging their heels and saying the repair quote is too expensive :rolleyes:

IMG-8963.jpg

IMG-8971.jpg

Man of Honour
What I don't get is why such a large proportion of people don't use cruise / speed limiters when pretty much all cars have one or both?

Personally pretty much never use cruise / speed limiter unless doing a long motorway stretch or something like that, much prefer having direct input all the time. Also there is no standard implementation of the controls and I use several different vehicles so it is faff each time messing about with it rather than something I have down by muscle memory to one vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom