Your bad driving encounters

Associate
Exactly you see it everywhere. That is why I just do not bother and leave a big gap to the car in front if I am running side by side someone on a dual carriageway. If people want to be stupid let them do it. The amount of times I see people hanging about the inside of my truck on say something like the A50 I would be a millionaire by now. Little do they realise the only thing that is allowing me to see them is a tiny little kerb side mirror which is easily missed if you are not on it.

The most common accident between car and truck is clipping a car because they are in its blind spot on the near side. Pretty much like what that women did in the Citroen.
this is exactly why I hang back with trucks until I know I can clear them in one go and not end up stuck alongside them

Soldato
Not my encounter but one from one of my Scottish colleagues.

Witnesses say the car driver accelerated hard, crossed the kerbed central divider and straight into my colleague.

Car driver arrested on scene, no remorse and as of yesterday still refusing to answer questions or explain why

uSymLza.jpeg

Soldato
Not bad driving as such, but two men having a loud sweary argument and trying to out shout each other in a supermarket carpark complaining about each others driving.
So many people seem to be utter scummers these days, and have zero respect for anybody around them, or themselves.

Soldato
OP
Someone came to a dead stop on a major A road merge point / slip road in front of me today for no reason. Worst part is there was quite a length of slip road parallel to the main carriageway they could have crept along and tried to merge further on but they stopped quite early on the slip road. Even when a kind van driver slowed right down and flashed their lights to let the numpty out they still didn't go! Unbelievable.

Soldato
That was the driving instructor? I know he may have been in shock but honestly. We have those sort of problems in front of our house when we have heavy rain, they just don't get it .last time we had to block the road to stop them creating the bow wave that then pours into our gardens and starts the flooding.
That stretch of road is very similar to one about 2 miles from me. It's called Crow Mills - between South Wigston to Blaby/Countesthorpe https://i2-prod.leicestermercury.co...LTERNATES/s1200/0_flooding-in-Blaby-Leics.jpg

Man of Honour
Just saw the first car in ages to jump a red light, don't think it was intentional though - 2 sets of lights in close proximity where if the second set change on you while checking other traffic, etc. can be easy to miss the change.

Last edited:
Don
Whoever it was on here that pointed out the rising trend of people swinging out before turning a corner has really turned my life upside down.
Yeah I've noticed this as well, people driving as if they're driving a massive artic, but just a car or van. There's a particularly junction I drive through every morning in Aberdeen and people stick left for turning left and stick right into a filter for turning right, but often see people swinging out into the filter for a straight forward left turn into a junction. Annoyning as **** when you're sat there and suddenly see somebody decide to aim their car at you.

Man of Honour
Yeah I've noticed this as well, people driving as if they're driving a massive artic, but just a car or van. There's a particularly junction I drive through every morning in Aberdeen and people stick left for turning left and stick right into a filter for turning right, but often see people swinging out into the filter for a straight forward left turn into a junction. Annoyning as **** when you're sat there and suddenly see somebody decide to aim their car at you.

I see it quite a bit with larger SUVs and pickups where people seem to think the vehicle is bigger than it is, probably not driven it much, and stay very wide and/or go very close to the verge if something big is coming the other way, etc. as well as swing out like a lorry to take junctions.

Soldato
You see the indicator and immediately try to close the gap "just because" instead of letting off.

Which gap :confused:

The back of the Citroen was at best level with the poster's bonnet, if not further back (hard to tell from the fisheye view). This is the moment the indicator first came on:

xGdCArq.png

While the poster could certainly do with leaving a much bigger gap in front of them (it's barely 1s, never mind the 2s you should leave!), to think they did anything to make the situation worse after the Citroen driver decided to drive into them is ridiculous.

Soldato
Your attitude to "being right" is going to end up in a accident.

You see the indicator and immediately try to close the gap "just because" instead of letting off.

I understand your frustration but these cretins will not change their ways but being defensive in your driving will less likely end up with increased insurance premiums because you have had a prang.

You're wrong... Others have already explained why.

I'm not seeing that in the video - the driver pretty much stuck the indicator on in the same motion as starting to change lane, most people would have been hard pressed to react in time to avoid an incident there.

This. I have already said similar in this thread. People seem to have went from Mirror --> Signal ---> Maneuver to the new method of Signal+Maneuver at same time.

The person wanting to change lanes know they want to do it. They may (or may not) check their mirror waiting for a gap. In their mind, they know they are about to move so slam the indicator on and move. They fail to realise that, even with the quickest reactions in the World, the person they are moving in front of needs a second or so to recognise the indicator on the merging car has come on and make any adjustments for the car coming in. Nope, its a "I had my indicator on for 0.25 seconds before moving and, not only should you have seen it, you should have been ready"

I dont mind people moving in front of me on a motorway etc however I expect some notice. When I want to move lanes I do it this way:
  1. Check mirror for a gap coming up
  2. When the car I want to move BEHIND is roughly level with me, I put my indicator on.
  3. When the car I want to move behind passes me, I move over.
Doing it like this means that the car I want to move in front of normally has a few seconds before I start physically moving over as it takes that length of time for the "front car" to pass me.

Nope, what people do these days is way until the front car is fully in front, slam the indicator on whilst simultaneously turning the wheel.

Caporegime
Manor walks, cramlington if anyone knows it. 7 people in the space of a minute driving the wrong way around the one way system and through a no entry sign.
Then witnessed a woman try and fail to park in 4 different spaces before giving up and parking in a disabled bay without a badge.

Man of Honour
Dunno the circumstances but saw a car that had slammed into a wall on my way to work - must have hit upwards of 40 in a 30, from the skid marks must have been doing considerably more than that. Also from the angle I dunno how they even did it, not much room to carry speed through.

Soldato
Dunno the circumstances but saw a car that had slammed into a wall on my way to work - must have hit upwards of 40 in a 30, from the skid marks must have been doing considerably more than that. Also from the angle I dunno how they even did it, not much room to carry speed through.

Its quite intriguing when you come across things like that and you just cant figure out how the car could possibly end up in some of the positions they do:

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F22b4c69a-f56a-11ed-9ecf-630e5864e3c3.jpg

Soldato
You're wrong... Others have already explained why.

This. I have already said similar in this thread. People seem to have went from Mirror --> Signal ---> Maneuver to the new method of Signal+Maneuver at same time.

The person wanting to change lanes know they want to do it. They may (or may not) check their mirror waiting for a gap. In their mind, they know they are about to move so slam the indicator on and move. They fail to realise that, even with the quickest reactions in the World, the person they are moving in front of needs a second or so to recognise the indicator on the merging car has come on and make any adjustments for the car coming in. Nope, its a "I had my indicator on for 0.25 seconds before moving and, not only should you have seen it, you should have been ready"

I dont mind people moving in front of me on a motorway etc however I expect some notice. When I want to move lanes I do it this way:
  1. Check mirror for a gap coming up
  2. When the car I want to move BEHIND is roughly level with me, I put my indicator on.
  3. When the car I want to move behind passes me, I move over.
Doing it like this means that the car I want to move in front of normally has a few seconds before I start physically moving over as it takes that length of time for the "front car" to pass me.

Nope, what people do these days is way until the front car is fully in front, slam the indicator on whilst simultaneously turning the wheel.
I think you're being optimistic with the signal but, think most just assume you have a crystal ball.

Back
Top Bottom