Xbox 360 Fall Update details spilled by MS Japan

Associate
Microsoft Japan recently held a small press briefing detailing some of the new features bundled into the Xbox 360 Fall Dashboard Update. With the help of Engadget Japanese's Ittousai we've been able to pinpoint a few relevant changes that are in store for next Tuesday's update. The most significant addition is the reorganization of the "games" blade (pictured above), which now features the "Game Library" (in place of "Xbox Live Arcade"), in addition to the old "Achievements" and "Played Games" sections.

When opened, the Game Library is nearly identical to the current XBLA menu, with a vertically-scrolling games list and an info box appearing for the highlighted game [Famitsu image]. New, however, is a horizontal sorting menu, broken down by filters like "All Games," "Arcade," "Demos," and "Recent Downloads." (This new horizontal and vertical organization is not unlike Sony's XMB design -- Microsoft calls it "twist" navigation, the same UI used for Zune.)

Additional Fall Update features:

* Top level of "marketplace" has been reorganized and reduced to four categories: "Featured Content," "What's New," "Game Store," and "Video Store" (below top level, categories will be navigated by twist, just like the Game Library)
* "Personal Profile" added to Gamer Profile; text field allowing approx. 500-1000 characters, providing space to publish name, nationality, region, and self introduction. (Further social networking tools to accompany 'Friends of Friends' functionality)
* XBLA demos deleted from "Played Games" and Gamercard lists

source joystiq.com/

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/27/360-fall-update-details-spilled-by-ms-japan/

Soldato
Whats the point in having Gamertags then.

If I chose not to tell you my real name thats my choice. No point in having any login beside your real names then. :p

No, I think its a good feature.

We have an Xbox Live gamertag list at work of everyone and although I added everyone to my list, I don't know who most of them are by Gamertag. Being able to see their real name would be really useful.

Caporegime
I want the ability to leave Achievement notifications on but friend signing on messages off. It's SO annoying playing something only for friends to sign in and out all the time, this is why I delete people so often.

Wyrdo UK! I'm looking at you for this! Tonight you were on, off, on, off, on, off and on again when I first put Mass Effect on :(.

Soldato
Looks quite disappointing to me, a lot of shifting pages around again and adding a profile, I hope they have something a bit better planned, like stopping all the dash freezes when logging in.

Caporegime
loads of screenshots here:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071127/live.htm

Shows the changes in the blades (the text is in Japanese, but you can guess what the bits would be in English if you are familiar with the interface).

msds0002.jpg

This one from another site shows the new "tabs" for the games. Presumably he has the Arcade games tab higlighted here, but you can see the others horizontally at the top.
msud006.jpg

Looks like the screens for the new xbox originals section above.

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish they would give the whole dashboard a visual update, kinda like Media Centre on Vista, you know with transparant menus and much more arty backgrounds

Don
I want the ability to leave Achievement notifications on but friend signing on messages off. It's SO annoying playing something only for friends to sign in and out all the time, this is why I delete people so often.

Wyrdo UK! I'm looking at you for this! Tonight you were on, off, on, off, on, off and on again when I first put Mass Effect on :(.

Agreed, playing GH3 I always get distracted!

Soldato
I wouldn't personally like that, you don;t know what some weirdo's are like. Meet some phycho's on PES who are threatening this, threatening that. I imagine if they got my real name they could get other details.

you dont have to put the details in do you :confused: it must give you the option and tbh i get threats all the time but all of them are empty said by the annoying high pitch kids from america and beyond

Soldato

Hah I knew I'd be annoying people, had some funky problems my end. My friends list wasn't working at one point.

I do agree though, it can be annoying at times, especially when you have a near full friends list and get a ton of people logging in.

Disabling friend notification would be a very nice option to have, I've complained about this in the past.

Last edited:
Don
Hah I knew I'd be annoying people, had some funky problems my end. My friends list wasn't working at one point.

I do agree though, it can be annoying at times, especially when you have a near full friends list and get a ton of people logging in.

Disabling friend notification would b a very nice option to have, I've complained about this in the past.

Or just having a priority list so people you want to see logging in get shown.

Caporegime
I think people are confused, I think this "real name" thing is that there will be a field that you add yourself. i.e. If I had "Mr Zefan" on my list I could add a comment of "Annoying sig obsessed Moderator on draconian forums" :D.

This is the only way it would work well as everyone likes to remember people by different descriptions. I guess we will have to wait till 4th to find out or until some English screenshots appear.

I don;t like the whole "Social Networking" route this update looks to be headed in, however if past updates are anything to go by, the leaked details will be minor and we will get some huge announcement whcih they save for the last day, which surely has to a be a "UK/EU get Videomarketplace" kind of thing (fingers crossed).

rp2000

Soldato

haha I hate that too

Back
Top Bottom