Girlfriend held for suspected robbery

Soldato
It's the same with PCSO's, they have to observe the crime on which they can make a citizens arrest and I believe only hold your for 20 minutes in which time an officer will arrive. They cannot hold you on suspicion of a crime.
Which is a tricky business.

I don't see how anything in the OP indicates anything remotely like Attempted Robbery, more like Deception, Fraud or Theft... Not know what exactly the store/police thought she was doing with the top.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
She attempted to take a top back to Newlook which she had no receipt for, the security guard instantly pinned her up about it.

She explained the situation about a top that had a hole in but couldn't remember the shop she bought it from or when.

He searched back on the system a month, she asked him to go back a little further he refused and took her into the back and called the police.

At this point she was in tears and had been held for 2 hours, un-allowed to use her phone to tell work her situation (30 minute dinner).

Police arrived confronted her about the situation and eventually listened to her side of the story, the officer forced them to search the system an extra month and bingo they found it.

Officer: "Your lucky i'm in a good mood, i would have banged you up for the night if i didn't get back of holiday yestaday."

-----------------

I mean WTF? 3 hours of work she missed and has been in tears all afternoon, total ****in outrage.

Please fully star out swear words - Zefan.

SOME Police are retards, last year when I bumped a grandma who suddenly decided to scoot across the road on her mobility scooter thing without looking as I was crossing a roundabout.

The first police office who took my report was decent, listened to what I said, understood the situation and explained everything nicely. Another office who arrived moments later came right up to me blaming me for apparently speeding, not slowing down, not driving with attention (!!!) and was basically acting like it was all my fault. I guess all he saw was young driver and shiny car, yeah all his fault...

The 2nd officer left a bit later leaving the first still there, the 1st was quite surprised and I explained that this guy just turned up didn't even read the report r listen to anything I attempted to say and pointed the finger! he understood and explained he'd have a word back at the station.

Anyway some weeks later their investigation report found no fault on my behalf and they'd not pursue it further.

So it just goes to show, some people let power get to their tiny heads and they only see what they want to see and end up ruining peoples days!

Soldato
It's the same with PCSO's, they have to observe the crime on which they can make a citizens arrest and I believe only hold your for 20 minutes in which time an officer will arrive. They cannot hold you on suspicion of a crime.

A PCSO can arrest using the any person powers (citizens arrest), whilst this is a physical detention, the PCSO is not using their power of detention. A PCSO can arrest on suspicion, provided reasonable grounds.

The 30 minute thing is where the PCSO used their powers of detention, which are for offences you cannot arrest using the any person powers.

And the situation here is not a robbery, a robbery must have the use of violence or the threat of immediate violence. This is theft.

Soldato
I'd be talking to a solicitor and looking to sue them if they didn't grovel after I spoke to them in the store.

That security guard was being an idiot, I'd be wanting him fired - for starters.

Soldato
A PCSO can arrest using the any person powers (citizens arrest), whilst this is a physical detention, the PCSO is not using their power of detention. A PCSO can arrest on suspicion, provided reasonable grounds.

The 30 minute thing is where the PCSO used their powers of detention, which are for offences you cannot arrest using the any person powers.

And the situation here is not a robbery, a robbery must have the use of violence or the threat of immediate violence. This is theft.

I work with a guy who is a Special Constable and asked him about the authority that PCSO's (or Plastic Plods to give them their proper title) actually have to arrest and detain people.

Apparently they have NO authority to physically detain you and if they try to you can run off and all they can do is try to keep up....

They also have less powers/authority than specials.

:eek:

Soldato
Wrong, I'm afraid. Better check your civil law.

"Arrest" is defined as "Detaining a person from their liberty in order to answer a charge."
Any person other than a Constable may arrest without warrant:
Anyone who is in the act of committing an indictable offence.
Anyone whom you have reasonable grounds for suspecting to be committing an indictable offence.

Arrestable offences:
Theft
Assault
Robbery
etc etc.

Any chance of a source? I'd like to read more. Basic law should really be taught at school. So many mundane things that I am not not sure if they are lawful or not.

Associate
I work with a guy who is a Special Constable and asked him about the authority that PCSO's (or Plastic Plods to give them their proper title) actually have to arrest and detain people.

Apparently they have NO authority to physically detain you and if they try to you can run off and all they can do is try to keep up....

Special constables have the same powers as regular officers. AFAIK the only difference is a SC cannot use his/her powers nationwide, only in their force area and neighbouring forces.

Associate
Any chance of a source? I'd like to read more. Basic law should really be taught at school. So many mundane things that I am not not sure if they are lawful or not.

"A person other than a constable may arrest without a warrant... anyone whom he has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be committing an indictable offence." (Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 sec 24A(1)(b) as amended)

Note the precise wording: "... to be committing an indictable offence."

It does not say "... to have committed an indictable offence."

IMO the so called "security guard" did not know the OP's GF was committing any offence and therefore had no reason to hold her against her will. He would be likely be found guilty of false imprisonment and assault by a court.

The police officers comment was frankly disgraceful and from someone who should know better. The police wonder why the public are losing faith in them when they act like this.

If I were treated like this I would have no hesitation in seeking legal advice for action against the store concerned and make an official complaint against the police officer concerned.

People do not deserve to be treated like this.

Soldato

It varies from force to force, but the vast majority of PCSOs do have the power to use reasonable force, same as a PC/Special as per the Police Reform Act 2002

As for 'plastic plod', you obviously read tabloid newspapers. PCSOs are a valuable resource, the intelligence they gather and reassurance they provided is second to none. Modern policing isnt just about arresting people.

Soldato
Oh dear :( The replies in this thread show why britain is in the state its in and why chavs have such free rein.

How come people here always go on about police not doing anything one minute then when they try to do a job they get complained about again. Its not as if she was beaten over the head or actually imprisoned. Good god!! Yes she was held for a few hours but does it really warrant having to try to sue the company, make formal complaints, etc, etc. If she was hurt or held overnight then fair enough but she wasnt!

Chavs get away with so much nowadays thanks to everyone being scared to get involved or try to stop them. Its people like those that have replied "Sue them" etc that have caused the problem in the first place...

and your reply shows why many Britons have no backbone when it comes to legal/consumer rights.

The lady in question being reduced to tears is enough to warrant the staff involved getting a disciplinary, even before the security guard's illegal act of imprisoning her against her will. If the Riddler's girlfriend presses, she could have a great result out of this I'm certain.

I hope you can keep the thread updated with your progress after you've served your suspension Riddler. All the best.

Soldato
and your reply shows why many Britons have no backbone when it comes to legal/consumer rights.

The lady in question being reduced to tears is enough to warrant the staff involved getting a disciplinary, even before the security guard's illegal act of imprisoning her against her will. If the Riddler's girlfriend presses, she could have a great result out of this I'm certain.

I hope you can keep the thread updated with your progress after you've served your suspension Riddler. All the best.

Eh? I never said anything about being scared to press charges if the situation warranted it. Where did I imply that? :rolleyes: I simply said that people were blowing this all out of proportion for financial gain as seems usual nowadays. The modern day thinking in this country is always revolving around money and suing people. I think people should be able to sue for "emotional damages" but shouldnt get money for it. They should be given free councelling if they win. I'm sure no-one would bother sueing in future if it wasnt solely for money.

Back
Top Bottom