Boris Johnson is Mayor of London

Caporegime
:confused: and most people who work in central London don't drive in. But if JG needs to, to deliver stuff then fair enough.

A LOT of people drive for work in London... think of all the taxi drivers, delivery staff etc... it's hardly an outlandish notion and if someone says they "have to" then it's pretty obvious it's because they do it for work.

Soldato
Here we go, people are already jumping on the bandwagon around interrogating people as to why they need to drive into London in the first place.

Man of Honour
LOL of course it is. The congestion charge is an unfair policy that many other makor cities wouldn't dare to introduce simply because it doesn't really work. Were you aware that it costs over £5.50 of every £8 to collect?

This may surprise you to know but... people work in London.:eek::D

Well done sherlock, Yes, I work in London too and I have absolutely no need of a car to do so.

And it doesn't cost £5.50 of every £8, capita are on a fixed cost contract, how much it costs per vehicle varies with usage as a result. In 2006/2007 (last TFL figures I can find) operational costs were £90m of £213m revenue. Which is 42.25% or £3.38 per £8.

Soldato
Boris seems like a good guy from the videos I've been watching on BBC. Although I don't like the conservatives, Labour don't seem to do much but tax me more each year, and the only policies I hear from the Lib Dems involve how they'd tax us even more in the name of global warming. They're all crap, really. I guess political party doesn't affect too much when it comes to being a mayor though..?

Fair enough, but given that it's for delivering produce, surely the logical thing is to increase your prices to cover it? I mean it costs you more to deliver it so your customers pay more for it?

And that's fair for the people who live in London, is it? Or do they somehow "deserve" to pay more for everything? Surely that would only result in London becoming even more expensive, with only the rich affording certain things, and the poor being pushed out even further.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You need cars in London because the public transport sucks. I hate it - I always choose my car over public transport, my company covers me for the CC (not that I'm often in there during it's operating hours) so I have absolutely not need to worry about it which is fantastic. Means I don't have to sit with the lowlifes. Furthermore my motorbike isn't charged so it's all good for me :)

Man of Honour
Boris seems like a good guy from the videos I've been watching on BBC. Although I don't like the conservatives, Labour don't seem to do much but tax me more each year, and the only policies I hear from the Lib Dems involve how they'd tax us even more in the name of global warming. They're all crap, really. I guess political party doesn't affect too much when it comes to being a mayor though..?

And that's fair for the people who live in London, is it? Or do they somehow "deserve" to pay more for everything? Surely that would only result in London becoming even more expensive, with only the rich affording certain things, and the poor being pushed out even further.

Anybody in the charging zone live plenty near enough to a shop to go and buy things in person if they can be bothered.

For large items, places where it costs more to deliver already attract higher delivery charges, so why shouldn't london (granted, most existing higher charges are based on distance)

Permabanned
You need cars in London because the public transport sucks. I hate it - I always choose my car over public transport, my company covers me for the CC (not that I'm often in there during it's operating hours) so I have absolutely not need to worry about it which is fantastic. Means I don't have to sit with the lowlifes. Furthermore my motorbike isn't charged so it's all good for me :)

I think London's public transport is generally acknowledged as being very good.

For example... London voted world's best city for public transport

Soldato
Anybody in the charging zone live plenty near enough to a shop to go and buy things in person if they can be bothered.

For large items, places where it costs more to deliver already attract higher delivery charges, so why shouldn't london (granted, most existing higher charges are based on distance)

Well, whatever, I totally disagree with what you're saying though.

Man of Honour
Fair enough, but given that it's for delivering produce, surely the logical thing is to increase your prices to cover it? I mean it costs you more to deliver it so your customers pay more for it?

Passing on price increases isn't as simple as that and if customers have to bear the brunt of it that's not fair either.
Bear in mind too that I never contribute to any congestion due to my working hours and there's never been any in the area I supply anyway.

Soldato

Well, whatever, I totally disagree with what you're saying but I'm not going to spend time arguing about it.

Man of Honour

Thats a nice opinion but it just doesn't match the facts, there are very few places in london where public transport sucks (some parts of south east london where there's no tube and a fair distance to a train station and a few bits of east london too).

I'm popping into town for lunch in a few hours, I could jump in the car and drive in if I wanted (no congestion charge on saturdays of course) but why would I want to? Pleasant walk to the station and 20 minutes reading the paper on the train - I'd prefer that any day...

Soldato
Very good? Take a tube trip during rush hour and see if you agree. You wouldn't catch me on the tube for love nor money, especially during sardine time.

How would suggest it be made better? Not saying that I disagree, because London is well, London. It's going to be busy in rush hour. The only way I can think of making it better would be to a very large extension to the more busy stations, and more carriages. But of course, who would want to put in a politician who would use that much money?

Back
Top Bottom