Bailiffs permitted to use physical force against homeowners

Soldato
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5375668.ece
Under the regulations, bailiffs for private firms would for the first time be given permission to restrain or pin down householders. They would also be able to force their way into homes to seize property to pay off debts, such as unpaid credit card bills and loans.

Bailiffs have for hundreds of years been denied powers to break into homes for civil debt or to use force against debtors, except in self-defence. In a famous declaration, William Pitt the Elder, the 18th-century prime minister, said: “The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the crown.”

It emerged last week that Her Majesty’s Courts Service has already handed out guidance to privately employed bailiffs, pointing out that under legislation passed in 2004 they can already break down doors as a last resort to collect court fines.

It is claimed these powers are already abused. In one case, an 89-year-old grandmother returned home to find a bailiff sitting in her chair having drawn up a list of her possessions. He was pursuing a parking fine owed by her son, who did not even live at the address.

Interesting that this is being officially brought in during the middle of a recession, with large job losses...oh, and it took an FOIA request to get the information.

Soldato
OP
There goes another freedom then.

People's homes are still being repossessed by the majority state owned mortgage brokers\banks so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

If someone has actually gotten to the point where bailiffs are taking everything they own then often they deserve it (not always)

If they've lost their job through no fault of their own then it is harsh don't you think?

Permabanned
they need to regulate debt collectors, this only relates to bailiffs with a court order, but no doubt some sum bag idiot debt collection agency will try and kick your door in thinking the know they law, bunch of bottom feeders

Permabanned
if they try to just call the police saying someones breaking in, im sure the police turning up should put a leash on the scum bag bailiffs

Soldato
OP
I requested bailiffs to collect a debt from a company that owed me after they failed to comply with a court judgement. They only did so on the second visit. The first time they declined to do anything because the owner wasn't there. The usual double standards...

Soldato
I remember hearing somewhere that on the first visit to your house you have to invite/let in balifs before they can enter your property, on subsequent visits they can do what they like to get in. Is/was this true and does this law change mean they can just break in even if you are out and take your stuff?
If so i think that is highly unfair and a breach of personal liberty and privacy, regardless of outstanding debts.

Soldato
Sorry, but if someone tries to use force on me, I'm well within my rights to defend myself...and I would. Not being a keyboard warrior, I'm just a big unit who most sensible people would look to avoid getting into a scrape with.

Soldato
OP
I remember hearing somewhere that on the first visit to your house you have to invite/let in balifs before they can enter your property, on subsequent visits they can do what they like to get in. Is/was this true and does this law change mean they can just break in even if you are out and take your stuff?
If so i think that is highly unfair and a breach of personal liberty and privacy, regardless of outstanding debts.

Apparently there must be signs of activity inside the house, but that could be a stray cat or something, for all I know.

Back
Top Bottom