Scotland take control of own taxes?

Permabanned
I see that Brown is passing another benefit for the Scots before he's kicked out :D

"The government has called for a 50p per month levy to be imposed on all landline connections in the UK in order to build up a fund to provide super-fast broadband to the third of homes it says would be left out of reach by market forces alone."

XPE

XPE

Soldato
I would be interested in what our Scottish friends here think of Alex Salmond ?

I personally find him irritating.

He's no better than those religious nut job's that go about spreading hate to further there own need for power, and that's all he is doing.

Caporegime
Agreed - I'm scottish born, lived in Europe when I was young as my father was in the British army, he was badly injured while in the forces for Britain and I work and pay my taxes for a better Britain. I live in scotland, but think that Britain would be better off as a unit, rather than divided through devolution.

I'm Scottish, and British as well - not bothered if England get Revenue through Oil, Water from Scotland, Electricity from Scotland etc. They could even sell Whiskey and I couldn't care less.

There are more important things to worry about in this lifetime, and I refuse to raise my BP one point on the subject.

Anyway, thats my opinion, and thanks to this great country, we are all entitled to one - Rule Brittania!

almost forgot, wouldn't trust an empty plastic bag to Salmond.

Wow. Word for word what I believe.

Soldato
Keep thinking that, look at Aberdeen for example, the council there had billions put into it from oil and gas companies, yet it is in loads of debt at the moment.

KaHn

Aberdeen City Council are a complete joke who couldn't organise a ****-up in a brewery. That's why they're in debt.
Some ludicrous decisions made by them, we'll keep seeing it again and again though.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed - I'm scottish born, lived in Europe when I was young as my father was in the British army, he was badly injured while in the forces for Britain and I work and pay my taxes for a better Britain. I live in scotland, but think that Britain would be better off as a unit, rather than divided through devolution.

I'm Scottish, and British as well - not bothered if England get Revenue through Oil, Water from Scotland, Electricity from Scotland etc. They could even sell Whiskey and I couldn't care less.

There are more important things to worry about in this lifetime, and I refuse to raise my BP one point on the subject.

Anyway, thats my opinion, and thanks to this great country, we are all entitled to one - Rule Brittania!

Nice one ;).

Associate
Interesting times article from a few years ago - note it was authored by Donald Dewar's former advisor

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article657700.ece

I remember reading about the SNP's claims about scottish indepence would mean massive wealth increases for Scotland. Unfortunately they based their figures on 1) receiving all north sea oil revenues (fair enuff) and 2) England carrying on paying the extra £1800 per person subsidy currently enjoyed by Scots (dream land)

At the end of the day, as has been posted earlier. The shetland Isles could announce a referendum for independance the day after a scottish referendum for independace and all the oil revenues would be gone

Soldato
it's the same people who always do it ignore them.

As for making Scotland responsible for it's own finances, would you trust the Scottish labour party with that kind of responsibility, the same people who arnt good enough for the British labour party ?

labour got the boot from here ages ago.

Don
Not literally but I suspect the tax benefits Scotland gets are higher than the taxes generated.
True, but that's the same as every other area of the UK with the exception of London.

It also ignores that the UK government isn't financed entirely by taxation, it's also funded by debt which everyone forgets about. When you take that into account Scotland pretty much get's what it pays for.

Soldato

I couldn't agree more mate :D

Soldato
It's a ploy to create jobs. We will be rebuilding Hadrian's Wall.

If run by politicians it'll cost 11x as much as the quoted price, take twice as long and look bloody awful :D

Oh yeah and it'll probably have to be wheelchair accessable with ramps on both sides which will render it completely useless.

Soldato
I would be quite happy to see a fully devolved scotland, self rule, self financing, self everything.
No more scottish MP's in westminster, brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom